Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tour de Palm Springs 2014

Anyone from the esteemed Fifty Plus crowd riding in Tour de Palm Springs February 8th? I'm interested in riding my first century and looking for others that perhaps would be interested in joining me. I'm not a racer, but do enjoy long rides at a relaxed 15mph pace (flats and hills combined) and average about 80-100 miles/week.

Although there will be thousands of other riders I do believe it would be more fun to buddy up with one or more Fifty Plus folks, particularly if this is your first time as well. I live in Rancho Mirage so I'm very familiar with the route.

If interested let me know. Thanks!

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done it a few times, and it's an immensely popular ride. I think a lot of the popularity has to do with the fact that you can pretty much count on reasonably nice warm weather in the dead of winter, so you can make a weekend of it with the wife ... even do some golfing or maitai-ing by the pool.

My only objection to the organizers is that they always gave out water in individual 12 oz bottles (donated, apparently). Do the math ... that is a LOT of bottles for no good reason.

Anyway, as the ride approaches, I should have a better idea if I'll be there ... I'll let you know.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are both signed up for Tour de Palm Springs 2014 so I will see you there! Always a fun event and I agree with what Victor (Biker395) said . . . except, okay, I admit I'd never given the plastic water bottles much thought .

Overall excellent organization, lots of good food and water () with a well marked course so it's pretty much impossible to get lost. Well, JGSnCA, since you're from Rancho Mirage you wouldn't get lost anyway. A very fun event with bands playing at most of the checkpoints.

We always stay at the Motel 6 near the start so we don't have to drive on the morning of the event. Try to get there a bit early if you're driving in since traffic is a bit of a mess that morning.

The only downsides are that the wind can be brutal for the first about 15 miles. For the last two years we've had brutal side-winds (some riders actually blown off the road) followed by a left turn into a brutal headwind. The good news? After this first painful bit you turn right and get a wonderful tail wind on a downhill with perfect pavement. Excellent pay-back!

Will try to remember to wear my 50+ bikeforums.net jersey so you can spot me in the crowd.

Rick / OCRR