Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obedient Spin Bike Today

Unlike the last time I was in Spin Class the bike today behaved beautifully. I adjusted the pedals, seat and bar and climbed on. The seat was a little loose so a neighbor got a wrench and tightened it. It was a little tilted front up. But, with this instructor that is no big deal. She spends a lot of time standing and hovering.

These bikes have no electronic distractions. Straight mechanical with water bottle holders and a knob to adjust friction. Most of the people use the cages. But, I clip in because it is best for my physical therapy. I'm really, really working hard on forefoot and ankle strength and flexibility. Don't need anything to slip while I'm riding. I'm not flexible enough, and never will be flexible enough to reach down to adjust the straps on the cages.

After an outstanding group ride where, for the first time, I was able to stand and hover with the rest of the group it was time to unclip and get off. The bike was obedient and when I twisted my foot I was free. Stepped off the bike, did my stretching and moved on.

The bike worked fine, gave me no attitude, I did all the standing and hovering with everyone else and the music was good. A great day.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Median, Marin Fairfax SC-6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice when equipment works as it should and it sounds like you're getting in the groove, too. Spin is a great winter sport for cyclists although I suspect most participants are just chronic class-goers and not cyclists.

At one gym I go, they do deluxe spin. All the bikes are kept in fine working order and they have computers for cadence, distance, and speed. They also give out fresh towels at the beginning for us and wash-and-drys at the end for the bikes.
    Bike more, stress less.

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, Hawk Owl. You have more than one spinning group on base or do you go to more than one place? I'm envious. UAF is considering returning the spinning class to the student rec area which might increase the cost and that would be end of spinning for us. We'll see after xmas break when spinning starts up again. For now spinning is over during xmas break.
    Alaskans for global warming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the spin bikes at my gym have been ridden pretty hard. When you get one, it makes class a bit of a chore. Got a good one yesterday. Very smooth. I'll try to get it again. Rumor is we are getting new spin bikes in January. They will all be nice for a while.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But, with this instructor ... She spends a lot of time standing and hovering.
    The Spin Class Dominatrix?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the deal with hovering? It hurts some, so it must be exercising some part of me, but I can't hover on my road bike. I tend to look at spinning from a cycling perspective. Many of the instructors don't cycle and just approach it from an exercise perspective it seems.