Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any of you have experience with Ortlieb Front Roller Panniers?

I know I could ask in the Touring or Communting forums, and perhaps will. But I wanted to post here first. I'm considering getting a set of these to use in the rear. Standard size panniers are a bit larger than I need for daily commuting and I find that I fill them up with stuff I don't really need. (I'm a believer in the adage that if you have space you'll find a way to fill it up.) I'm interested in: 1. ease of mounting, 2. ease of use, 3. actual ability to keep things dry, and 4. longevity. These seem to be a bit pricey, so I don't want to make the investment to only regret it later. So, any of you using them?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never used cycling panniers however I have used Ortlieb Dry Bag saddlebags on my Ducatis for the past 12 yrs. or so and can attest to their ability to keep things dry. Even in downpours at 60 mph I have had no leakage. Quality stuff IMO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I have never used cycling panniers however I have used Ortlieb Dry Bag saddlebags on my Ducatis for the past 12 yrs. or so and can attest to their ability to keep things dry. Even in downpours at 60 mph I have had no leakage. Quality stuff IMO.
    Idin't know they made saddlebags for motorcycles. Thanks for the input.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the website if you don't already have it....http://www.ortlieb.com/index2.php?lang=en

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I know I could ask in the Touring or Communting forums, and perhaps will. But I wanted to post here first. I'm considering getting a set of these to use in the rear. Standard size panniers are a bit larger than I need for daily commuting and I find that I fill them up with stuff I don't really need. (I'm a believer in the adage that if you have space you'll find a way to fill it up.) I'm interested in: 1. ease of mounting, 2. ease of use, 3. actual ability to keep things dry, and 4. longevity. These seem to be a bit pricey, so I don't want to make the investment to only regret it later. So, any of you using them?
    My wife and I have used Ortlieb panniers extensively since we switched over to them 7 years ago, including a set of Front Roller Classics. We have used them a lot, about 15,000 miles of touring during that time, plus a lot of grocery hauling, and commuting. If I ever wear them out, which I doubt will happen, I'd buy Ortliebs again. IMO they are worth the cost. I think this is one of the times you get what you pay for.

1. Once you figure the mounting system out, they are very easy to mount and dismount on the bike. It takes about 2 seconds! The mounts are sturdy and secure.

2. I prefer the Rollers, but my wife uses the Packer Plus series. I believe the the Classic Front Rollers are easy to use. They are easy to adjust for load volume. They are also easy to put on the bike and easy to take off.

3. They are waterproof! We have ridden a lot in the rain, and from our experience Ortlieb panniers are everything they claim to be. On a 3-month tour we encountered 35 days of rain, and they performed just as advertised.

This was on a tour last summer. I was washing the mud off of my front panniers. I did not bother to empty them, just took them off the bike and hosed them down.

4. They are very durable. I have not had a problem with the mounts or material. This is my right front pannier after a high speed encounter with a tall curb. The damage is only cosmetic, the bags are still waterproof. I really believe that any other pannier that I have previously owned would have been unserviceable or required major repairs after a scrape like this.

I was using my front panniers on the rear for a long weekend trip to test out a new bike. The rain we encountered this day tested both the riders and panniers. I didn't install fenders on the bike because I was not sure I was going to keep it--big mistake.

Did I mention that I really like Ortlieb products? Oregon Coast.
    Last edited by Doug64; 12-14-13 at 10:17 PM.

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Front Roller Plus that I have. I use them on the front. They are especially easy to mount and remove. They are waterproof, if you don't overpack them and make it hard to seal the top. I think they are probably as good as you will find.

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: I took the plunge and bought a set at my local REI. I've only used them for two commutes, but like them. The mount very easily, and hold more than I thought they would. Given the snow and slush on both days I hosed the bike down when I got home. I left the bags on to see if they would stay dry. I'm please to say that the insides were without a drop of moisture. The only downside (if you can call it that) is that REI only had the yellow and black in stock. My commuter is all black and the yellow just jumps out and screams at you. It's got me thinking that I need to replace my cables housing and handlebar tape with bright yellow. Maybe I should even throw a pair of these on the bike: 414-fiVaQbL__AA160_.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will get used to the color They are more visible than most of the other colors, and function trumps form for me where safety is concerned.

I actually run a pair of Vittoria tires with the yellow stripe on my black road bike, but have not thought about yellow bar tape--until now!