User Tag List

My Bikes
    2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity; 1999 Diamondback Crestview
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road in the snow

today. Had a blast. Heard the snow plows behind me. They slowed and I moved to the left side of the roadway. They passed and it wasn't as much fun anymore.

Biggest problem? - locating and missing the potholes.

rode instead of Road,
    Last edited by tigrpal; 12-14-13 at 01:31 PM. Reason: misspelled word

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These sorts of posts lack of bit of sizzle when we have no idea of your location. You can't be in the heart of snow country, otherwise you wouldn't be worrying about potholes even after a plow job. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    These sorts of posts lack of bit of sizzle when we have no idea of your location. You can't be in the heart of snow country, otherwise you wouldn't be worrying about potholes even after a plow job. Inquiring minds want to know.
    You mean there's people who don't mind hitting potholes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snow plows fill the holes.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrpal View Post
    You mean there's people who don't mind hitting potholes?
    Let me restate. On the East Coast, my native land, you might not get enough snow to pack down in the potholes; ergo a passing snow plow could leave a deceptively smooth surface with only a bit of fluff in a pothole. In North Dakota I'm most confident that the potholes are packed with ice and snow until winter abates; I could be mistaken, however. Let's hear from some folks in serious snow country,
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    a passing snow plow could leave a deceptively smooth surface with only a bit of fluff in a pothole.
    This is what happened today right after the plows had passed but they hadn't salted yet.

Chicago suburb. Our streets are always salted so it would never be able to pack in to the potholes. There was probably 3 in. before the plows. Not many cars had gone through yet. I'm new to riding in the snow. That's why I enjoyed it so much.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in the DC area, if you're riding when the afternoon thaw gives the plow drivers a chance to clear the roads, be ready for a blast of brown freezing slush down the back of your neck as they pass. I was out on my MTB during a recent afternoon snowfall...don't ask me how I know the rest.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3" w/o ice would be fun, 'specially if it's fluffy dry snow
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Domane 4.3 and Trek Crockett 5 disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Plow Job" huh...
    I'm so slow I met myself yesterday...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're having a snow day here in the Midwest! Well it would be a snow day if I worked... being old and retired ruins being snowed in. I think the things I miss most about no longer having a job are.... snow days, holidays, sick days, and vacations.

I bought an older mountain bike this last summer for winter cycling.... and I've used and enjoyed it. But I've found the icy roads a little more dangerous than I had expected. The big knobby tires just don't keep me from slipping and sliding. Is there something I am doing wrong?

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    We're having a snow day here in the Midwest! Well it would be a snow day if I worked... being old and retired ruins being snowed in. I think the things I miss most about no longer having a job are.... snow days, holidays, sick days, and vacations.

I bought an older mountain bike this last summer for winter cycling.... and I've used and enjoyed it. But I've found the icy roads a little more dangerous than I had expected. The big knobby tires just don't keep me from slipping and sliding. Is there something I am doing wrong?
    Need studded tires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a cyclocross bike for Christmas with the intent on using it for winter riding. I live in VA but spent a lot of time in the NE Ohio area. Rode on Monday when the roads were wet but clear. Found out that cold salt water can, almost literally, freeze your butt off if enough sprays on it. Got a fender on New Year's Eve with hope of riding yesterday. Snow was largely packed but enough ice/thaw under it that riding really wasn't safe. Ended up on the trainer (sigh). More snow coming down now - hope roads are clear by Saturday - really itching to get outside.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Need studded tires.
    I think you're right! Another local cyclist is trying studded tires this year.... and he is apparently happy with the results.

I will check CL (and local yards sales if it takes till spring) to find me a really cheap mtn bike with compatible wheels (to my mtn bike) with decent tires. I should be able to pick-up a cheap one (maybe with problems) for almost nothing. That would give me both tires and wheels to convert (with screws) to studded.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthbiker View Post
    ... Found out that cold salt water can, almost literally, freeze your butt off if enough sprays on it. Got a fender on New Year's Eve with hope of riding yesterday. Snow was largely packed but enough ice/thaw under it that riding really wasn't safe. Ended up on the trainer (sigh). More snow coming down now - hope roads are clear by Saturday - really itching to get outside.
    Yes, salt lowers the freezing point of water, so yeah, the water is actually colder than the adjacent snow! I believe Dr. Fahrenheit based zero on his scale to be the temperature of a "frigorific" brine solution. (Look it up!) Oh, and 100 was the temperature of his wife's armpit (before it was subsequently corrected to allow for boiling water to be an even 220 degrees!). This is why Celsius makes so much more sense - 0C is where plain water turns from a solid to a liquid; 100C is where water turns from a liquid to a gas. Dead simple, and in common use in Canada!

Luis

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snow and Ice was Last Year, so far the rest of it is deposited well above sealevel.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I abandoned my commute today.

The conditions were poor, traffic was high (don't those people know enough to stay home?) and the weather was supposed to go from bad to worse. Went about 3/4s of a mile before turning around.

So on the first workday of the year, I already blew a day's worth of carryover vacation time.

Looking outside now, indeed the weather has gone from bad to worse. I'd have been coming home in snow and headwinds of 20-30 mph, in single digits. Instead, I think I'll take a nap.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grew up in Canada so a big fan of the metric system. Except hectares - never got that one - of course I'm not too good with acres so probably doesn't matter. But I remember in Mr. Beer's chemistry classes creating salt water slush to check the freezing point. Let's just say that the lesson finally hit home on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    Yes, salt lowers the freezing point of water, so yeah, the water is actually colder than the adjacent snow! I believe Dr. Fahrenheit based zero on his scale to be the temperature of a "frigorific" brine solution. (Look it up!) Oh, and 100 was the temperature of his wife's armpit (before it was subsequently corrected to allow for boiling water to be an even 220 degrees!). This is why Celsius makes so much more sense - 0C is where plain water turns from a solid to a liquid; 100C is where water turns from a liquid to a gas. Dead simple, and in common use in Canada!

Luis

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I abandoned my commute today............ Instead, I think I'll take a nap.
    Rest days are good. I used my spare time and snow-blower to clear my driveway and sidewalks as well as some other older neighbors. I also watched my American Flyer DVD. Tomorrow.... I'll watch Breaking Away.

Even though I do bicycle in the off-season... I spend less time cycling. I've been using my extra time to do a bit more weight training. Mostly upper body and core.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today, here in Maine I ventured out in a snowstorm to do a few errands (in the car of course). As I turned the corner I saw the head of a cyclist bobbing up and down through the wind, the blowing snow and pedaling uphill!
    When I saw the bike it had tires that looked like they had 4 inch wide treads. Don't know whether they had studs too but must have had. We got a lot of ice and now this fluffy snow on top of it. Amazed that he had the traction, and of course, the courage (or insanity) to go out on a day like this. Temps in the low single numbers (don't know what the wind chill factor is).
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"