Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

n = 1 (depending on how you count them).

I decided to reassemble my Porsche mountain bike frame into a usable bicycle. It'll have (mostly) period correct but not original matching parts. I've even got a couple of trails in mind, one that I can ride to from home, that I'm not afraid to ride. Unfortunately, the assembly process is at an impass.

I can't do the drive train because I don't have the right bottom bracket. The Porsche has a 68 mm BB shell. An easily solved problem and not too expensive, but it'll delay me for another week or so.

I can't do the brakes because my fork doesn't have any spring retention holes for V-brakes. I was going to kluge a solution but my machinist son advised against it. He thinks that he can acquire a set of stops from a friend or, if necessary, will make me a set. I actually have a set of Magura hydraulic brakes that would work, but I've gotten rid of most of my hydraulic brake stuff and I don't want to mess with them.

So seat, handlebar and rear brake are pretty much all that I can do today. That's OK though. Actually, I kind of like thinking through the process. That's part of what I like about working on bikes that are a bit out of the mainstream.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of the forks on vintage bikes that use cantilever or V-brakes seem to have issues. I just replaced a badly designed OE fork with a better replacement found on eBay. I hated the idea of using a newer replacement fork, but having reliable brakes is just too important. In my case, the fork had a very narrow 55mm cantilever post distances and lacked a mounting hole for a fork mounted brake cable hanger.
    When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.