Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

n = 1 (depending on how you count them).

I decided to reassemble my Porsche mountain bike frame into a usable bicycle. It'll have (mostly) period correct but not original matching parts. I've even got a couple of trails in mind, one that I can ride to from home, that I'm not afraid to ride. Unfortunately, the assembly process is at an impass.

I can't do the drive train because I don't have the right bottom bracket. The Porsche has a 68 mm BB shell. An easily solved problem and not too expensive, but it'll delay me for another week or so.

I can't do the brakes because my fork doesn't have any spring retention holes for V-brakes. I was going to kluge a solution but my machinist son advised against it. He thinks that he can acquire a set of stops from a friend or, if necessary, will make me a set. I actually have a set of Magura hydraulic brakes that would work, but I've gotten rid of most of my hydraulic brake stuff and I don't want to mess with them.

So seat, handlebar and rear brake are pretty much all that I can do today. That's OK though. Actually, I kind of like thinking through the process. That's part of what I like about working on bikes that are a bit out of the mainstream.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of the forks on vintage bikes that use cantilever or V-brakes seem to have issues. I just replaced a badly designed OE fork with a better replacement found on eBay. I hated the idea of using a newer replacement fork, but having reliable brakes is just too important. In my case, the fork had a very narrow 55mm cantilever post distances and lacked a mounting hole for a fork mounted brake cable hanger.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike