Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never ending challenge

Logged 110 miles in over 7 hours of riding Friday. It was a tough day for me. Cold to start at 21 degrees. Headwinds the last 50 miles. I probably didn't eat and drink enough so my mind and body went into those "dark places" that happens every once in a while when I'm really struggling. I was in some easy gears for quite a long time.

I rode 62 miles today and did much better. More of a typical pace and didn't struggle nearly as much. Fortunately it felt more like a normal ride.

So, 10+ hours in the saddle and probably burned 8000+ calories in the process. And I haven't lost any weight. Heck. That's the main reason I'm out there trying to put in all those miles right now.......

Seems like I post this every year. I'm not overeating but I know I'm eating stuff I shouldn't. I really, really enjoyed Italy but I think I'm still paying the price for how much I enjoyed it. Maybe the same New Year's Resolution for the 10th year in a row to cut out the fructose, carbohydrates and alcohol. When I do that my weight just starts peeling off.......

I just wish it got easier the older I got!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    10+ hours of riding this week! and you're complaining about....what?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was off work the week after Thanksgiving and I rode 32 hours in those 10 days including some climbing, sprinting, and intervals. I did not lose any weight and am still over 200.
    I think the set point of weight gets more solid as I get older.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not easy to lose weight this time of the year, enjoy the season.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear that any much more high mileage rider than myself bonks too now and then. I'll stick to a simple dumbbell, situp and and pushup routine this winter and worry about catching up this spring. Winter is for cooking Elk chili (not my kill) and wrenching on bikes in my pad.

My belly losses are coming back though....quickly. I'll worry about it in March.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching your weight? There's an app for that! Actually... there are lots of diet/calorie counting apps for apple and android phones and tablets. I use "Lose it!" and have for a year and a half or two.

I can add normal foods, or (using the app) look up fast food, or brand name food products. I track calories, carbs, protein, and recently... fiber too. I am running mine on an iPhone and use the voice recognition to make entries (instead of typing). It's a great way to discover diet weaknesses.

My Bikes
    Colnago EP with Campy chorus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do not need to any exercise to lose weight . You just have to eat less .

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    And I haven't lost any weight. Heck...Seems like I post this every year. I'm not overeating but I know I'm eating stuff I shouldn't...Resolution for the 10th year in a row to cut out the fructose, carbohydrates and alcohol. When I do that my weight just starts peeling off...
    Is there a question in here? Looks like you already know the answer. Okay, so do it.

Definition of resolve (v)

• reˇsolve [ ri zólv ]

• make decision: to come to a firm decision about something...

Banned
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Carbohydrate restriction is a physiologically safe way to burn fat for energy and thereby more easily maintain ideal body weight".

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    jppe[/B];16332552]

1. So, 10+ hours in the saddle and probably burned 8000+ calories in the process. And I haven't lost any weight.

2. I'm not overeating but I know I'm eating stuff I shouldn't.

3. Maybe the same New Year's Resolution for the 10th year in a row to cut out the fructose, carbohydrates and alcohol.

4. I just wish it got easier the older I got!
    1. Well then, it seems as if you ate 8,000 calories to balance things out .

2. Since you apparently know the things you shouldn't eat . . . stop eating them!

3. No need to wait until New Years, but yes, all good things to reduce certainly but not cut them out completely.

4. "It never gets easier, you just go faster!" Okay, not exactly what is usually meant by that quote , but it applies here too.

Note: I worked by way down from 180 to 155 (which was my goal weight) but as my body got smaller I had to force myself to eat even less. That is the really tough part; at least it was for me.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Large serving of Greek yogurt with fresh fruit, rolled oats, and slivered almonds for breakfast/brunch. 10-12 ounces of Salmon, 1/2 baked potato, and large salad of iceberg lettuce with fresh broccoli, cauliflower, red pepper (one tablespoon olive oil and as much balsamic vinegar as you want). I eat the same on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Skim milk in my coffee and no alcohol or any other drinks with calories (except for Power Ade on long rides). Boring, but it works for me (a creature of habit). Started the end of May, and slowly lost weight from 200 to 175 (maintained for the last 6 weeks) at just under 6' 3". Biking 125-225 miles per week depending on light conditions and run 3 miles every other day. Everyone is different, but for me a fairly strict routine works since I have a hard time with the "everything to moderation" diet.
    ECCLESIASTES 10:2

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPPE and I are much alike. We can resist anything except temptation.

Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mapeiboy View Post
    You do not need to any exercise to lose weight . You just have to eat less .
    You can just change your eating habits to lose weight as all calories are not equal.

jppe seems to have figured out that when you get rid of the sugar the weight comes off.