Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help......needed on choosing new bike

    Well, I have bit of a dilemma. For the last month I have been struggling with what bike to purchase. The choice is between:
    1. Specialized Crosstrail Pro Disk
    and
    2. Specialized Tricross Comp

    I am 6'4", 200lbs, relatively good shape and I use riding a bike for fitness, enjoying the outdoors and just something fun to do. Primarily, on asphalt and hard packed bike paths, country roads with lots of hilly terrain, narrow roads that I could be forced onto the gravel shoulder and some off road trails (not hard rides at all). Most rides and under 20 miles and I never go overnight.

    One day I think the Tricross is the way to go then I'm afraid it will not handle the country roads and gravel. Then the next day I lean towards the Crosstrail. I think the components on the Crosstrail are better but the geometry on the Tricross is better. Whew decision, decisions......

    What are your opinions out there? I need help.

  2. #2
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tricross will definitely handle country roads and gravel. The Crosstrail does come with good components (except the unnecessary suspension fork) , but the Tricross spec is pretty good. Do you prefer drop bars or flat bars? That is the biggest difference.
    Wild card option, wait for the AWOL.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  3. #3
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,287
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tricross would get my vote.

    Heck, it's Christmas. Get 'em both.

  4. #4
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,701
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are those your only two choices? No other bike brands or models being considered?
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast. R.I.P.
    2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time.

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Are those your only two choices? No other bike brands or models being considered?
    Nope, open to suggestions. Looking around the $2000.00 mark.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    The Tricross will definitely handle country roads and gravel. The Crosstrail does come with good components (except the unnecessary suspension fork) , but the Tricross spec is pretty good. Do you prefer drop bars or flat bars? That is the biggest difference.
    Wild card option, wait for the AWOL.
    interesting you mention the AWOL. One dealer was pushing it over the Tricross but I thought the components were not as good. I could adjust to either flat or drop, as I have had both over the years.
    yeah, I hate the suspension fork but it can be locked out.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,433
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plan to ever do longer rides you will appreciate the multiple hand positions of drop bars. Also, I think the weight and complication of a suspension fork and disc brakes would not be needed.

  8. #8
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drturf View Post
    interesting you mention the AWOL. One dealer was pushing it over the Tricross but I thought the components were not as good. I could adjust to either flat or drop, as I have had both over the years.
    yeah, I hate the suspension fork but it can be locked out.
    AWOL Comp has the same SRAM Apex components as the Tricross Comp except the X9 rear derailleur on the AWOL is higher spec than the Apex on the Tricross. AWOL has wider gearing range, taller head tube and wider tire capacity, not to mention the steel frame.

    I'm a little biased as I'm planning to build up an AWOL frame as a gravel road touring bike as soon as they are available (probably within a month.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    AWOL Comp has the same SRAM Apex components as the Tricross Comp except the X9 rear derailleur on the AWOL is higher spec than the Apex on the Tricross. AWOL has wider gearing range, taller head tube and wider tire capacity, not to mention the steel frame.

    I'm a little biased as I'm planning to build up an AWOL frame as a gravel road touring bike as soon as they are available (probably within a month.
    I don't think you are showing any bias but pointing out some of the concerns I had. Now this is tweaking my interest. Being a steel frame doesn't that make the bike heavier? Also, with the head tube being taller, would you have a more upright position?
    Any concerns about not having the secondary brake levers like the Tricross?
    Last edited by drturf; 12-16-13 at 07:43 PM.

  10. #10
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drturf View Post
    I don't think you are showing any bias but pointing out some of the concerns I had. Now this is tweaking my interest. Being a steel frame doesn't that make the bike heavier? Also, with the head tube being taller, would you have a more upright position?
    Any concerns about not having the secondary brake levers like the Tricross?
    Steel frames tend to be a little heavier than aluminum frames of similar quality but they also tend to respond better to the bumps and vibrations of rough roads and gravel. The AWOL Comp frame's main tubes are made from Reynolds 725 which can get the required strength and stiffness from thinner (lighter) tubing than cheaper 4130 chromoly or Reynolds 520, so the weight difference should be minimized while the ride quality difference should be enhanced.

    Yes, the taller head tube would make it easier to run the handlebars higher without resorting to a big stack of spacers or a stem with a sharply rising angle. This is an advantage if, like me, you like the bars near saddle level. If you prefer lower bars, it could be a drawback.

    Not having secondary brake levers would save me from having to remove them if were my bike. I don't really see the point of them and think they reenforce bad habits, but that's just my opinion. If you really want them on a bike that doesn't have them, they are pretty cheap and can be added.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  11. #11
    Redefining Lazy Slackerprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa via PDX, Summers on LV-426
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3
    Posts
    1,622
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drturf View Post
    interesting you mention the AWOL. One dealer was pushing it over the Tricross but I thought the components were not as good. I could adjust to either flat or drop, as I have had both over the years.
    yeah, I hate the suspension fork but it can be locked out.

    If you're going to be doing, primarily, road riding, I would suggest a hybrid like the Trek FX, Spesh Sirrus, Giant Escape or C'Dale Quick.
    If you're even considering locking out the forks, I wouldn't even hassle with a suspension fork bike.
    If you have just small amounts of gravel or rough to go through, a hybrid with a carbon fork and/or seatstays will work for you. Just get some 28 or 32 tires with flat protection.
    Happy shopping!

    S
    Shut up, everything

  12. #12
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,883
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackerprince View Post
    If you're going to be doing, primarily, road riding, I would suggest a hybrid like the Trek FX, Spesh Sirrus, Giant Escape or C'Dale Quick.
    If you're even considering locking out the forks, I wouldn't even hassle with a suspension fork bike.
    If you have just small amounts of gravel or rough to go through, a hybrid with a carbon fork and/or seatstays will work for you. Just get some 28 or 32 tires with flat protection.
    Happy shopping!

    S
    My last shopping experience (many moons ago) - there were no hybrids, etc., without front suspension.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Steel frames tend to be a little heavier than aluminum frames of similar quality but they also tend to respond better to the bumps and vibrations of rough roads and gravel. The AWOL Comp frame's main tubes are made from Reynolds 725 which can get the required strength and stiffness from thinner (lighter) tubing than cheaper 4130 chromoly or Reynolds 520, so the weight difference should be minimized while the ride quality difference should be enhanced.

    Yes, the taller head tube would make it easier to run the handlebars higher without resorting to a big stack of spacers or a stem with a sharply rising angle. This is an advantage if, like me, you like the bars near saddle level. If you prefer lower bars, it could be a drawback.

    Not having secondary brake levers would save me from having to remove them if were my bike. I don't really see the point of them and think they reenforce bad habits, but that's just my opinion. If you really want them on a bike that doesn't have them, they are pretty cheap and can be added.
    Excellent point on the secondary brakes........they do cause bad habits.
    Any concerns re: the exposed cables? I've never had cables exposed before so my thought were mud, dirt, etc effecting them.

    I am really leaning now to the AWOL Comp as you've answered my concerns vs the Tricross and from the sounds of it here the Crosstrail would be a waste with the suspension and extra weight caused by it.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    My last shopping experience (many moons ago) - there were no hybrids, etc., without front suspension.
    Yeah, I have to agree, I haven't found any hybrids without suspension forks. Anyone?

  15. #15
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drturf View Post
    Excellent point on the secondary brakes........they do cause bad habits.
    Any concerns re: the exposed cables? I've never had cables exposed before so my thought were mud, dirt, etc effecting them.

    I am really leaning now to the AWOL Comp as you've answered my concerns vs the Tricross and from the sounds of it here the Crosstrail would be a waste with the suspension and extra weight caused by it.
    Glad to offer my opinions, but make sure you get the bike you want, not what I or anyone else on a forum would buy.

    The only problem I have had with exposed cable is a little extra cleaning and lubing care and more frequent replacement of cables and housing. Not a biggie for me, but YMMV. But looking closely at the photo on the Specialized website, it appears they are running full length housing on all the cables, so it is a moot point.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  16. #16
    Redefining Lazy Slackerprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa via PDX, Summers on LV-426
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3
    Posts
    1,622
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drturf View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree, I haven't found any hybrids without suspension forks. Anyone?
    All of the bikes I listed, the C'Dale Quick, Specialized Sirrus, Giant Escape and Trek FX do NOT have suspension forks.

    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/

    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/fitness/sirrus

    http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/ca...-quick/id/953/

    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...0/14810/66190/

    S
    Shut up, everything

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackerprince View Post
    Opps, I should have taken a look at your suggestions before opening my yap. Thanks for this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think BluesDawg is on to something. It might be worth waiting to see the AWOL. I wouldn't let the taller head tube worry me too much. You can always get a different stem and "flip it and slam it".
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

  19. #19
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what you mean by hybrid. The Specialized Sirrus, for example is basically a flat bar road bike. The carbon models actually use Roubaix frames. Great bikes if 28mm tires are all you need.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  20. #20
    Redefining Lazy Slackerprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa via PDX, Summers on LV-426
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3
    Posts
    1,622
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drturf View Post
    Opps, I should have taken a look at your suggestions before opening my yap. Thanks for this.
    No worries.
    FWIW, I've had a Sirrus Comp and it was a great bike.
    I have a Giant Escape and it's a good bike, too.
    The bike I ride the most is my C'Dale Synapse. I use the Escape for when I go on rides with my son or wife. It's a great neighborhood bike and I ride it up to the gym, as well. It's set-up with Shimano dual pedals, so I can clip-in or use the platform on the other side.
    Both the Sirrus and the Giant are fast bikes, and these are the fastest bikes you can get before going to a road bike.
    Good luck with your choice.

    S
    Shut up, everything

  21. #21
    Senior Member kris7047th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SE Mich.
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, .. Novara 2013 Madrona 29'er, Trek 520 2012, Surly Pugsley fatbike 2014
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on what the road conditions and if you desire to continue to ride through the winter (assuming you live in a colder state) I'd go with your first choice because of the disc brakes.

    My town just had 10" of snow dumped om us last Saturday and that has put a damper on our group ride. I too was thinking of a cyclocross type bike, fatter tires and definitely the disc brakes but a speedier, lighter weight bike than my mt bike 29'er so I can keep up with the faster riders for the winter months. But after this last storm .. I am looking to a fat bike instead. I suspect we are in for a snowy winter and I don't want to be stuck inside on my trainer all winter. Last year we didn't get much snow, had rain instead .. but I see the writing on the wall

  22. #22
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,287
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just got around to looking at Dawg's link to the AWOL. If I were buying a new bike, I'd give that a long look.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Just got around to looking at Dawg's link to the AWOL. If I were buying a new bike, I'd give that a long look.
    Hey, thanks Dudel.......I've just asked my LBS for a quote and availability.......

  24. #24
    It's as easy as riding a dannwilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    River Falls, WI
    My Bikes
    '14 Salsa Colossal, '03 Iron Horse Intrepid, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Kona Rove falls into this category of bike well. http://www.konaworld.com/rove.cfm Looks to me like a great gravel road bike, capable of light touring as well. I'd call it an all-rounder. The picture has the stem slammed, but if the steerer tube is left uncut, the bars could be raised a bit if desired.
    "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Central Florida
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As some have suggested you might want to look at a hybrid as they can be either road or Mtn based. My wife and I purchased a couple of Giant Escape RX0s last January and have over 8,000 miles on them so far. They are road based flat bar bikes using 105 bits and pieces. You can read a little about them on this thread in the hybrid forum. http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nt-Escape-RX-0 if you are interested. Giant replaced the RX0 for my2014 with a carbon framed hybrid that looks quite good. I'd have one but the component level is one below the 105's. bummer. Look luck with what ever bike you choose. The main thing is to enjoy the RIDE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •