Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you're not cycling in one of these states!!!

And to think the two states I ride in the most (NC & SC) are two of the top ten. Guess I better keep my insurance a lot longer.

North Carolina ranks among top 10 worst-driving states

Dawn Kurry
    Staff Writer- Triangle Business Journal
    Email | Twitter

North Carolina needs to pay more attention behind the wheel, according to CarInsuranceComparison.com, which ranks the Tar Heel State tied for seventh among the worst-driving states in America.

Data from 2012 was used to compile the list, which ranks states on the following metrics: Fatality rates per 100 million miles traveled, citations for failure to obey traffic signals and seat belt laws, DUI infractions, and tickets for speeding and careless driving. Data was collected from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the National Motorists Association and Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD).

In 2012, MADD counted 402 drunk-driving deaths in North Carolina.

According to the list, the worst drivers in the country live in Louisiana, which also topped the list last year.

Here are the worst 10:

1. Louisiana

2. South Carolina

3. Mississippi

4. Texas

5. Alabama

6. Florida

7. Missouri

7. North Carolina (tied)

9. Montana

10. South Dakota
    Ride your Ride!!

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm a little surprised the Yankee states aren't more represented, given that they are always rushing around.

The traffic death rates in Kentucky have been steadily dropping, which is great. They link it to seat belt use, but I think reforms in under 21 licensure helps a lot I bet. One standard gripe in this area is that so much attention is devoted in the media for firearm deaths when teenagers doing stupid things behind the wheel take a much greater toll.

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    I'm a little surprised the Yankee states aren't more represented, given that they are always rushing around
    The data is really confusing. But much of it indicates driving faster focuses attention better so accidents actually drop compared to those driving the speed limit. One problem is identifying why drivers adhere to the speed limit, and it may be their driving abilities are impaired.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Drivers in the U.S. are dangerous--in every states: the major problem is "UNPREDICTABILITY"
    And because they are in front of you they can do anything! (control of one's speed)

In Europe SPEED is the problem and drive way too close! (but they are a lot more aware)

Yes these are generalizations with some truth to them!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VNA View Post
    Yes these are generalizations with some truth to them!
    Never trust generalizations.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really surprised that Florida doesn't top the list.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    So am I. Living in Florida is great except for riding a bike on the roadways. I live three miles from the MUP I do my daily rides at and I drive there. The only road leading to the MUP from my house is extremely dangerous to ride a bike on, even though it has a very nice bike lane in both directions.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know people who have done some riding in Florida, and they all say the same thing: It's a horror show for cyclists.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Florida is the only state I have cycled in that I actually felt unsafe in. Other than that, All drivers are dangerous. Broad generalization, I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a modern major generalization?
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    Dimondback Apex, Motobecane Vent Noir, Shogun Selectra, Santana Rio
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massachusetts didn't make the list
    Who checked this list?
    pirk
    Triples are for the weak and the old.........I guess that make's me both
    If you wait until you're ready, you will wait forever.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little surprised the Yankee states aren't more represented, given that they are always rushing around.
    Me too. Anyone who has been on the road near Boston knows that. Generally, denser population areas are worse no matter the state.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how much general accident rates equate to problems for bikers. The existence of roomy shoulders and other bike friendly features is much more reassuring to me than some abstract trust in a location's drivers.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not surprised to see Missouri on the list since I grew up there and had lots of scary incidents with drivers there.

Since I moved to CA (in '95) things have been a lot more tranquil on the road. Still not perfect and I doubt it ever will be but much better in CA than MO.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now don't start trashing those of us above the Mason-Dixon line.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a generalization.

My Bikes
    Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    And to think the two states I ride in the most (NC & SC) are two of the top ten. Guess I better keep my insurance a lot longer.

North Carolina ranks among top 10 worst-driving states

Dawn Kurry
    Staff Writer- Triangle Business Journal
    Email | Twitter

North Carolina needs to pay more attention behind the wheel, according to CarInsuranceComparison.com, which ranks the Tar Heel State tied for seventh among the worst-driving states in America.

Data from 2012 was used to compile the list, which ranks states on the following metrics: Fatality rates per 100 million miles traveled, citations for failure to obey traffic signals and seat belt laws, DUI infractions, and tickets for speeding and careless driving. Data was collected from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the National Motorists Association and Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD).

In 2012, MADD counted 402 drunk-driving deaths in North Carolina.

According to the list, the worst drivers in the country live in Louisiana, which also topped the list last year.

Here are the worst 10:

1. Louisiana

2. South Carolina

3. Mississippi

4. Texas

5. Alabama

6. Florida

7. Missouri

7. North Carolina (tied)

9. Montana

10. South Dakota
    Statistics are nearly always subject to interpretation aka spin. I would bet lots more people die (and are seriously injured) in traffic accidents in the densely populated northeast than in Montana or South Dakota. However, those states and most relatively rural states have higher speed limits and more open roads where people drive faster. When speeds increase the number of people (per 100,000) who are killed in crashes increases. While Texas and Florida have high populations, Texas has lots of open roads, and in Florida we have several interstates and a turnpike with long open stretches and high speeds. As far as DUI's and traffic tickets those statistics could be interpreted/spun to show that the southern and western states are better at enforcement than the more congested northeastern states and I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't more law enforcement officers per capita in the more rural states. In any event, I doubt there is a direct correlation to biking safety. That being said, Florida drivers are much worse, on average, than anyplace else I have driven in the U.S. This is particularly true in the winter when our population increases significantly with snow birds. Folks, mostly older (like me), driving the speed limit or below in the left lane, with frustrated speeders (like me) cutting in and out of lanes to get around them. Throw in cyclists who often don't stop at traffic signals unless absolutely necessary (like me), and you have a potentially fatal combination. But life is full of risks, and I wouldn't life anywhere else but Florida, although I do enjoy rural Yankeetown a lot more than congested Orlando.
    ECCLESIASTES 10:2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Texas and I ride the local MUPs, and I only live 2 miles from the nearest one. It's dangerous, so I drive. Between the cell phone users and texters, and the locals who don't care about their pets I'll stay off the street. Sadly too many and too often a cyclist gets killed in my city and all they get is a slap on the wrist if that! The standard excuse given is "I didn't see him/her and just felt the bump!"

My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Is that a modern major generalization?
    The very model of one.
    People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
    But much of it indicates driving faster focuses attention better so accidents actually drop compared to those driving the speed limit. One problem is identifying why drivers adhere to the speed limit, and it may be their driving abilities are impaired.
    What a bunch of crap. Focus because you drive faster?

Here's a guess...you don't know how to calculate the functional relationship equation between cognization-line of sight-coefficient of friction-speed and reaction -eye-to-response-to-mechanical movement-to-brake time for 60 miles per hour and the tangental angle upon entry of the vehicle.

Adhering to and obeying the speed limit is because you are impaired?

Most ignorant post I've seen here in a while.

Take this P&R if the mods desire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend time in South Dakota and Texas, population in SD, 720,000, Texas, 25million?, the similarity, stop signs are pretty much ignored in both states! I never take for granted a car is going to obey a stop sign, I was broadsided a couple weeks ago in Austin.
    The biggest problem in SD is the motorcycle rally, too many motorcycles on to few roads, too many people arrive on motorcycles and go home in a box. The blame there is equally shared by car drivers and bikers.
    Treks, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of notes:
    1. Hopefully, natural selection over the next few decades will improve the driving population in those states
    2. From a cycling perspective the particular statistic doesn't take into account the amount of traffic. It would be interesting to estimate the number of vehicular encounters per hour and then factor in drive behavior. the good news is that while we're not completely masters of our own destiny, we can greatly affect the most important statistic with our own behavior, our own survival probability.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

Banned
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    probably would if there were curves and hills

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
    What a bunch of crap. Focus because you drive faster?

Here's a guess...you don't know how to calculate the functional relationship equation between cognization-line of sight-coefficient of friction-speed and reaction -eye-to-response-to-mechanical movement-to-brake time for 60 miles per hour and the tangental angle upon entry of the vehicle.

Adhering to and obeying the speed limit is because you are impaired?

Most ignorant post I've seen here in a while.

Take this P&R if the mods desire.
    P&R? You mean A&S? S&M? B&D? WTF?

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenA View Post
    probably would if there were curves and hills
    In Florida, you can drive up onto the sidewalk, plowing down pedestrians like dominos, and not even get a ticket. Unless you're drunk at the time. DUI is against the law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast