Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   New Years Resolutions for 2014 (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/927416-new-years-resolutions-2014-a.html)

Dudelsack 12-25-13 03:58 PM

New Years Resolutions for 2014

Here's a thoughtful video, not like the refuse I usually post:

I'll post mine sometime later today.

Dudelsack 12-25-13 07:08 PM

So for starters I downloaded Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist. I've decided that riding twice a week, 3 hours at a time might have something to do with why I felt beat up most of the year. I'm not far enough in the book yet, but I assume it has different levels of intensity. I'm going to pick the most basic and try to follow it, if not religiously, at least on a contemplative, community-minded basis.

Losing 25# would be nice.

The ultimate prize for me would either do a randonee or the Kentucky Triple Century challenge if they have it next year.

Zinger 12-25-13 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16358783)

So for starters I downloaded Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist.

I'll betcha that's going to involve intervals. At 12 bucks I guess I could find out what intervals Chris suggests. I would like to improve my time in a century and all I really have is the weekends since I work 2nd shift. I don't quite have the same motivation to cram in workout time on weekdays like I did in my 20s & 30s. I do metric centuries or close to it on those weekends though. Maybe some short intervals on Wednesdays but no promises to myself yet.

Triple century?.....No way

Dudelsack 12-25-13 08:31 PM

Intervals - yes. Lots of intervals.

The challenge is three separate centuries, not all three at once.

Mobile 155 12-25-13 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16358896)
Intervals - yes. Lots of intervals.

The challenge is three separate centuries, not all three at once.

Shoot, you make mine easy. One more mile that you and one more century. Just to have bragging rights. :lol:

Seriously I will be looking to get in more miles next year. I want to get comfortable with MTB riding in addition to my road bike riding. In fact I believe I would like to get in a metric dirt ride next year.

Biker395 12-25-13 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16358783)

The ultimate prize for me would either do a randonee or the Kentucky Triple Century challenge if they have it next year.

Do it! Or come out here and I'll do the Grand Tour Triple with ya.

aubiecat 12-25-13 10:03 PM

My new years resolution is to not make any new years resolutions.

BluesDawg 12-26-13 12:25 AM

Ride lots.

goldfinch 12-26-13 06:28 AM

Twenty pounds picked up to lose.

Ride. Maybe a bit faster.

a77impala 12-26-13 07:41 AM

If I was to make,a resolution it would be to cull my fleet to the bikes I ride regularly. I think that would put it back to single digit.

Gerryattrick 12-26-13 07:42 AM

No resolutions, but plenty of aims including more road miles and a group century with friends.

Also to build and sell those half-dozen or so bikes-in-bits that are cluttering up the sheds. I want to end up with just three bikes, all of which will be ridden regularly.

Myosmith 12-26-13 09:20 AM

Ride my backside off, literally.

Zinger 12-27-13 09:44 PM

Well I just promised myself and someone else that I'd read Joseph Heller's "Catch 22" (no I haven't read the book yet) and Henry Miller's "Air Conditioned Nightmare" next year.

Wind sprint wednesdays are going to be optional.

Dudelsack 12-27-13 10:48 PM

This is what I'm going to try. I'm going to do the easiest of the Time Crunch Cyclist workouts for 11 weeks and see how I hold up.

I'm going to pray for 5-10 minutes a day because research shows that even the most narcissistic prayer still requires you to take the focus off yourself and become more mindful of the needs of others.

I think that's a good list.

maddmaxx 12-28-13 04:18 AM

To be here to make a 2015 new year's resolution.

yodatic 12-28-13 06:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ride a lot more, work out more, keep my pimp hand strong. tomhttp://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=356866http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=356867

Barrettscv 12-28-13 06:17 AM

My first resolution is to keep the bike count to five. For the first time in several years, no N+1. I'll replace the frameset on my Monstercross bike, but that can be done without buying or building a complete bike. I'm very happy with my bike assortment and improving the fleet is no longer a rational or economic activity.

Reduce calories and increase the quality of what I consume. I'll avoid processed food and try to lose 25 lbs by summer. I'm going to shop for the freshest, most wholesome ingredients. Smaller portions of flavorful and healthy courses can be more satisfying than larger portions of bland, processed foods. The same goes for wine. A few good bottles of carefully selected wine each month. Life is too short for processed food and cheap wine.

Diversify my fitness routine. I'll keep riding on the weekends but I should lift weights and jog a few miles during the week. This is easy enough to do while traveling on business.

jdon 12-28-13 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yodatic (Post 16363461)

Anyone else wondering what a "pimp hand" is? :)

Dudelsack 12-28-13 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdon (Post 16363476)
Anyone else wondering what a "pimp hand" is? :)

I'm not sure I want to know.

JanMM 12-28-13 08:17 AM

Not really an explanation of pimp hand:

http://www.cafepress.com/+rosie_the_...ecal,578894570

Dave Cutter 12-28-13 09:13 AM

Last season I all but eliminated rides shorter than 20 miles. That one change made my annual mileage goal easily possible.

In 2014 I am going to add strength training (weight lifting) to my routine. Although I see cycling as more of a lifestyle/hobby and not as exercise.... cycling is in fact my primary source of exercise. I picked up some holiday priced dumbbells yesterday and will find some follow-along videos on youtube. This should round-out my fitness routine.

I follow the CDC recommendations for basic diet and exercise.

Dudelsack 12-28-13 09:17 AM

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps425dc9f5.jpg

BluesDawg 12-28-13 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrettscv (Post 16363465)
My first resolution is to keep the bike count to five. For the first time in several years, no N+1. I'll replace the frameset on my Monstercross bike, but that can be done without buying or building a complete bike. I'm very happy with my bike assortment and improving the fleet is no longer a rational or economic activity.

The N+1 governing body has ruled that changing frames qualifies as an N-1/N+1 transaction. The resulting bike is a new bike with the old components. ;)

Zinger 12-28-13 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter (Post 16363706)

In 2014 I am going to add strength training (weight lifting) to my routine. Although I see cycling as more of a lifestyle/hobby and not as exercise.... cycling is in fact my primary source of exercise. I picked up some holiday priced dumbbells yesterday and will find some follow-along videos on youtube. This should round-out my fitness routine.

Dumbbells are good. I like the kind where you can change the weights and I like the acme threaded screw on kinds of bars. Dumbbell work is also added this year but it's just something else I laid off of during my '50s so I didn't exactly call it a resolution.

I like to do military presses (both sides at once), squats with them on my shoulders (2 by 4 under the heels), curls (both sides at once), rows with my head parked on a sturdy oak desk (sets with hands parallel to the body and sets with hands at 90 deg). I do lots of sets with those along with pushups since I don't have a bench. If I had a bench I'd do inclines and bench presses with them as well. Usually I alternate muscle groups by the day. Chest and shoulders one day and legs, curls and laterals the next.

There are also light weight more repetitive cardio routines you can do and I might look into those someday too.

Dumbbells have always been my friends just like my dad always said :)

hiller 12-28-13 05:44 PM

Next year, I'd like to do a century under 8 hrs on my hybrid . If things go well with that I'd keep doing it, adding more hills each time. And, if things don't go well, I'd keep looking for easier courses. Wish I could try this now but weather here is just stinko. Of course, there's no excuse for not trying a century indoors- and, as soon as I can figure out how to coast, I may.

I think I read that Carmichael book. It's one where he promises to train you in three short rides a week, if I remember right. It's very similar to the book (if not a direct copy) that promises to make you a good runner with just three runs a week. Part of the package is cross-training on the off days and good nutrition.