Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Polarized Sunglasses

Ok, so I had to abandon persecution sunglasses because they would be too thick. My eye doctor has given me some daily contacts to try out and I can see fine (except very close up) so, I have decided to try contacts this year for cycling. The options seem seem plentiful but, I think I have decided on frames with interchangeable lenses for different light conditions. My only other thought is whether to get polarized lenses so, what the thoughts on polarized sunglasses?

Oh and,

I know brand and style has been beat to death on this forum but, if any of you would like to make recommendations that would be great (I am leaning toward Tifosi Tyrant or Slip).

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought round lenses and using a polarizing filter you could rotate (camera lens filter)
    would be a Cool Thing..
    since polarizing is all about the parallel lines so light waves are only coming through on one axis

and you would choose the axis.. rather than the maker of the glasses ..

My Bikes
    Trek 4900, Marin Hawk
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use polarized glasses since they were recommended by my doctor. The big difference is they reduce glare and reflection which makes it easier on the eye. I also need to carry regular reading glasses.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former."
    ― Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    Ok, so I had to abandon persecution sunglasses because they would be too thick. My eye doctor has given me some daily contacts to try out and I can see fine (except very close up) so, I have decided to try contacts this year for cycling. The options seem seem plentiful but, I think I have decided on frames with interchangeable lenses for different light conditions. My only other thought is whether to get polarized lenses so, what the thoughts on polarized sunglasses?

Oh and,

I know brand and style has been beat to death on this forum but, if any of you would like to make recommendations that would be great (I am leaning toward Tifosi Tyrant or Slip).
    I wear Tifosi Slips with the photo chromatic lens and I absolutely love them. While I can use several lenses, I don't really need them with the photo chromatic lenses.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Tifosi Tyrant with the "Light Night Fototec" lens.
    It has a wide enough range that I can start a ride in bright sunlight, and finish well after dark, running lights, and I don't need to change glasses.

My past experience with interchangeable lenses was:
    1. Every time you change lenses on the road, you have newly installed lenses with fingerprint smudges.
    2. The flexing of lens and/or frame to make the change will soon result in one of them breaking.

BTW LCD screens (e.g. Garmin Edge) are polarized, so if the sunglasses have polarization that does not match the device, you have not be able to read it unless you turn it sideways. Cellphones normally use OLED screens, so they do not have the issue.
    Last edited by Shimagnolo; 12-25-13 at 06:51 PM.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use clip-on polarized shades with my regular bifocals.

My Bikes
    Specialized, Cannondale, Seven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of Ray Ban prescription sunglasses that are great - except the polarized element - can't read the car digital display... great for biking, bad for car driving.
    Last edited by gary245; 12-25-13 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Rudy Project Rydons have polarized lenses. They are really good when the setting sun is glaring off the road, and useful whenever it's sunny. I don't have any problem seeing my Garmin, or my older Sigma bike computer, but I've seen others complain that their polarized lenses blocked the display. I've seen posters on BF say that polarized lenses make it hard to see wet spots on the pavement, but it seems okay to me.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My prescription sunnies are polarized. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Don't dither, just do it.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Polarized Blue Block sun glasses.

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been very happy with the polarized glasses I recently bought at Gander Mtn...they were around $25, fit very well, comfortable and light weight.
    I'm an Oakley fan boy and have been since their Factory Pilots a long time ago...but there are some very nice glasses out there at very good prices.

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    I have been very happy with the polarized glasses I recently bought at Gander Mtn...they were around $25, fit very well, comfortable and light weight.
    I'm an Oakley fan boy and have been since their Factory Pilots a long time ago...but there are some very nice glasses out there at very good prices.
    +1 Bought some polarized glasses at Bass Pro for under 25, (I fish also) and they are very adequate for cycling also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gary245 View Post
    I have a pair of Ray Ban prescription sunglasses that are great - except the polarized element - can't read the car digital display... great for biking, bad for car driving.
    I have the same issue with reading the screen of my cat eye with polarized lenses. Something the op may want to consider.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the day I used to choose polarized sunglasses over others. On a recent tour I did what I often do - broke or lost my sunglasses. I stopped at Fred Meyer for provisions, including a replacement pair. I saw some polarized ones that looked good. I bought some. It turned out the plastic face on my bike computer was also polarized and the combination meant that I couldn't read the numbers - unacceptable. I stopped again and bought another, unpolarized pair.

My 2 cents is that before buying polarized you should check them out with your bike computer, gps, and any other device you might be reading as you're riding along.

I reside with my wife "Cindy" in Fairborn, OH
    My Bikes
    2014 ICE Spring FSX, Trek 520, and Gary Fisher Parana Mountain Bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post

Oh and,

I had cataracts removed recently and my doctor highly recommended polarized sunglasses. I got mine from Oakley with three sets of lenses (gray for bright light/amber for cloudy days/clear for night riding) for $425.

My Bikes
    the 2 wheeled kind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using some Costa Del Mars on the bike. Could barely see my computer with deep water blue lenses. Back water green lenses were better, but not much. I broke down and got some sunglasses to just use on the bike. Ended up getting Oakley half jackets because of the fit. Had to have the girl at the store come outside with me to look at my computer before I would buy them.

They came with the iridium black polarized lenses and I've had no issue with my bike computer. They fit pretty tight on my face so they are good with the wind. I wear one contact lens, so that was pretty important. The lenses change pretty easily and after changing them out for almost a year now, zero problems. I have two sets of the OEM Oakley lenses and three sets of the cheap copies, all polarized, and I can't tell the difference, except for the price.

My Bikes
    Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Beer View Post
    I was using some Costa Del Mars on the bike. Could barely see my computer with deep water blue lenses. Back water green lenses were better, but not much. I broke down and got some sunglasses to just use on the bike. Ended up getting Oakley half jackets because of the fit. Had to have the girl at the store come outside with me to look at my computer before I would buy them.

They came with the iridium black polarized lenses and I've had no issue with my bike computer. They fit pretty tight on my face so they are good with the wind. I wear one contact lens, so that was pretty important. The lenses change pretty easily and after changing them out for almost a year now, zero problems. I have two sets of the OEM Oakley lenses and three sets of the cheap copies, all polarized, and I can't tell the difference, except for the price.
    Where do you get cheap copies of Oakley lenses? I really want some.

My Bikes
    the 2 wheeled kind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clawed View Post
    Where do you get cheap copies of Oakley lenses? I really want some.
    I got mine on e-bay. It was quite a while ago, but I think it was three pair for around $50. I can't tell them from the originals.

Recently heard of a company named Revant that does the replacement lenses. They have a photochromic lens that goes from yellow to smoke that I'm thinking of trying out.

My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would not recommend Polarized sunglasses for cycling. The polarization makes it difficult to read your computer and doesn't help enough glare to make them worth the extra cost. A better upgrade, IMHO, is Transition lenses -- which are clear in low light and turn darker as it brightens. I ride a lot in the dark while commuting, and Transition lenses are a real benefit.

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Lasik surgery almost 15 years ago went from 20/575 to 20/18. Fantastic. BUT now I have the sunglasses issue. I prefer a brown/orange lens to gray or green. I have several pairs of sunglasses - one in each car and one in my helmet that is strapped to the bike. And yes - get polarized. Then again, I don't have a computer on my bike. I even found a pair of polarized sun readers - polarized sunglasses with a reading 'bifocal' part.
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'