Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter cycling jacket

I'm looking for a cold weather jacket.After searching the net my head is ready to explode.If you purchased one recently I m interested.I would like a high visible color.Riding temp down to 20,price around 100 bucks.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own one of these , I dress like the Tow truck driver , as I Ride the bike.

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...uickView=false

Its heavy, like Cordura, I got a different one, first, from La Crosse Its a lighter fabric, and has hood in the collar option,

it is at the $100, price point, Ill sell it for that and mail it.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 12-27-13 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Cannondale Slice jacket/jersey that is a couple of years old. It works well, but I still depend on layers during the winter. Its good to be able to strip layers as need be. De-layering would not be as easy with a single heavy jacket. FWIW YMMV

My Bikes
    Schwinn Median, Marin Fairfax SC-6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a North Face windbreaker shell. The jacket's not heavy but once I get pedaling for a few minutes I find that my core warms right up. Now, fingertips, big toes, private parts, they're another story and I'll hear from them when temps are in the 20s.
    Bike more, stress less.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Endura Gridlock or Gridlock II.

Officially, it's a mid-weight jacket. Depends, of course on both how you perceive cold and how spirited your cycling.

My cycling tends to be on the spirited side. Unofficially, the Gridlock's my jacket of choice under freezing. Just by adding a layer or two underneath, I've worn it to -4F, the coldest it's gotten here in the past five years, and still had the pit-zips open.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try pactimo.com, specifically the Palisade jacket http://shop.pactimo.com/mens-cycling-outerwear/ Their stuff is good and reasonably priced.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For cold, I wear a relatively lightweight close fitting jacket with a windblocking front and breeze permeable back, and add a layer or two as needed. For me, the fully permeable back is essential to help with moisture and sweat. It also allows temperature regulation with the zipper without the jacket inflating. Close fit means no flapping or fluttering. The jacket I've been using for a couple of years now is the Gore Phantom II, but there are many other and newer ones out there.

Below 32, I'll add a windblocking vest, also with mesh or fully permeable back.

My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Illuminite jacket I'm using is a few years old and is discontinued.
    I use it in temps between 50F down to 10F-15F, the lowest that it goes
    in my area. It's unlined, basically just a windbreaker/rain jacket. It's
    hi-viz green and black. The black parts are reflective at night. The
    current model starts at $110:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Reflectiv...d_sim_sbs_sg_2

TEMP, 22F or -5C by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always preferred a light shell on a wool base layer and long sleeve jersey. I stop outdoor cycling at -10C though.

just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think waterproof is a good idea for below freezing. Eh? I use a Pearl Izumi softshell with a Craft baselayer. This is a rather shockingly warm combination for its weight and thickness. If I need to, I'll add a Voler Jet wind jacket over that. Both the PI and Voler come in Hi Viz. But it all depends on how hard you pedal. That's just for me. Some folks might be more comfortable in an ordinary Sears Thinsulate parka, $40-$100. No Hi Viz, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
    I don't think waterproof is a good idea for below freezing. Eh? I use a Pearl Izumi softshell with a Craft baselayer. This is a rather shockingly warm combination for its weight and thickness. If I need to, I'll add a Voler Jet wind jacket over that. Both the PI and Voler come in Hi Viz. But it all depends on how hard you pedal. That's just for me. Some folks might be more comfortable in an ordinary Sears Thinsulate parka, $40-$100. No Hi Viz, though.
    I recently purchased from LL Bean, the "Ascent Windstopper Softshell jacket." Here is a link:
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78988...t-shell-jacket

While the list price is $149, please look and watch for special sales. I got mine for 25% off, which brought the price to $111.75.
    Most importantly, I have been extremely pleased with this jacket and its Gore "Windstopper, active shell" construction. Just fantastic, and even in outside temperatures in the low 20's (F), with a couple of base layers, or better yet, a thin base layer and fleece mid-layer, I am very comfortable. Highly recommended! Please note that I have no personal nor business relationship with LL Bean. Also, the so called Vibrant Red is a highly visible orange.
    Also for consideration would be the Louis Garneau Enerblock 2 jacket. This can sometimes be had at around $100 from various sources. Here is one link:
    http://www.rei.com/product/856264/lo...ke-jacket-mens
    Here is another:
    http://www.amazon.com/Louis-Garneau-...ds=enerblock+2

Good luck and best regards
    Last edited by flan48; 12-28-13 at 10:27 PM. Reason: left out a sentence
    Barry,68,New Jersey
    2012 Trek 7.4FX - Exercise for life

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a recently purchased Capo on sale for $70 (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ca...al-jacket-mens) that I like a lot. I use it on rail/trail rides. FWIW if it gets colder than 40F I'm probably not riding.
    Last edited by bruce19; 12-29-13 at 02:56 AM.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me, the philosophy was a cycling specific bright yellow rain jacket uninsulated with enough room to layer according to temps of the day. I added considerable reflective tape due to using it during dark commutes. if riding in daylight I would something different though
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    trek 820, schwinn highlander,hardtail 29er, Currie I-Zip 26" Electric bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not fancy, but warm and has arm vents w/ zippers and removable fleece liner.
    Black truspec ECWS parka (military)
    Performs great, and can be gotten from U.S. Calvary.com
    Ride to live, live to ride!

My Bikes
    Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just purchased a Perl Izumi Select Thermal Barrier Jacket, looking forward to getting and trying it out on the road. Also it was 100 bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite jacket is a softshell material designed to block wind on the front, breath out the sides and back, plus provide a layer of insulation. Have 2 of these purchased for under $40 last year and were on sale for the same price a few weeks ago.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...23_-1___204514

Since buying two of the Nashbar jackets, I have purchased Giordana and Sugoi softshell jackets, both have a regular retail price over $100 and are comfortable for cold weather rides. But neither jacket performs any better then the Nashbar jacket, they may look a little better but that's all.

I also have rain jackets I could wear, but would rather use something breathable for cold rides to help reduce moisture.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A shell jacket over a fleece has been plenty warm for me down to -25F. The problem becomes hands and face and feet.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino