Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th Century in 5 Weeks

I finished up the local Winter Solstice Century Series today. One of our local Bike Clubs does an informal 100 miler every Saturday in December. Good weather today which resulted in a good turnout. Probably 30 riders doing the century with 20 doing the 70 miler. The temps were 25 degrees at the start and were a pleasant low 50's at the finish. My new wool long sleeved base layer and my wool gator were really nice additions. The group road very steady for the most part. There was once or twice the group broke up but it was least amount of disruption we've had on any of the rides.

My time was almost the same as last week, just a couple minutes difference. I had added a century the day after Thanksgiving so November/December was a really good month for me to build up my base miles for 2014. I can't imagine how much I'd weigh if I hadn't done these rides and burned off those holiday calories......

And I celebrated tonight with an extra large piece of good old Southern Pecan Pie.
    Last edited by jppe; 12-28-13 at 04:00 PM.
    Ride your Ride!!

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It must get boring doing the same hundred miles over and over again.

just kidding.

Anyway, congrats. Did you have any trouble with sweat control?

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Back to back weekend centuries were a tough slog for me even in my '30s where I rode the most. I did best with more than a week to recover for another century. You sir, are a baaaad old motorscooter.

And 20 degrees.....Hah ! I stopped working road construction a long long time ago just so I wouldn't even have to hang around outside when it was 20 degrees. But go ahead and brag because you've definitely earned it.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too Cold for me...You did Great.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    It must get boring doing the same hundred miles over and over again.

just kidding.

Anyway, congrats. Did you have any trouble with sweat control?
    Yeah-that is one reason I did the route backwards one weekend. The wool seemed to do a magical job of absorbing and pulling the sweat off of me but I didn't feel chilly. I could tell the material was moist but it also kept me very comfortable. It probably also helps that I probably sweat a lot less than most folks.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Joe, you are a mileage monster here lately, congratulations on another Century ride this month (well, more than this month, who's keeping track anyway?) Glad that you seem to be past your little slump you posted about back a few months. Have a Happy New Year, ride another Century for me.

Bill
    Thanks Bill. I just uploaded and looked at my riding data for the last 30 days and I was able to do 710 miles with most of those being longer rides, which for still working more than every plus being in December where the weather can be suspect I'm really happy to have been able to end the year and kick off 2014 with a great base. Slumps-----I've learned over the 10+ years I've been riding that for me slumps are just part of the routine. I just need to continue to find different roads and events from time to time.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang! Now you've got me wanting to do a century... but I'm too weak, too fat ...
    where did I leave my excuse bag? must be somewhere around here.

Anyway good job.

Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I finished up the local Winter Solstice Century Series today. One of our local Bike Clubs does an informal 100 miler every Saturday in December.
    So Joe, I was just wondering how much riding you do between weekend centuries and how old you are. I'm already aware that you're a very high mileage cyclist so I'm just wondering what kind of recovery time, if any, that you have to adhere to as such.

southeastern PA - a mile west of Philadelphia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I’m 57 years old, and as such, I deem 5 centuries in as many weeks an impressive feat jppe; way to go!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    So Joe, I was just wondering how much riding you do between weekend centuries and how old you are. I'm already aware that you're a very high mileage cyclist so I'm just wondering what kind of recovery time, if any, that you have to adhere to as such.
    I'm 61 and have been riding about 11 years now.

This time of year I'm typically doing approximately 150 miles a week. In the summer it is probably closer to 200 miles a week. Most of my rides are with climbing about 40-50 ft per mile (4000-5000 ft per 100 miles). Since I'm working out of my house now and don't commute, this time of the year I'm limited to riding on weekends and also on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Occasionally I'll do a "long lunch" and do a ride during daylight hours during the week. On week nights there is a business park about 20 minutes from my house where the roads are lighted. Typically informal groups form up on Tuesday and Thursday nights and you can easily do 20-30 miles with either a 1.5 mile or 2.5 mile loop, especially if you can ride wheels and average 20-22 mph. Those weeknight rides are really great for tempo and interval workouts and help me get my speed and power up. I'll also normally try and do a recovery ride on Sunday's but today the weather was very wet. So I did my recovery time sitting in my leather chair watching football and eating chips and salsa shipped in from La Fogata's in San Antonio!!!

I just looked at my stats for the year and my average ride for 2013 was 56 miles. That really surprised me. I thought it would be closer to 40 miles. This year I did two week long tours with each over 500 miles so that probably helped push up the average some.

I've found that I can ride longer rides every day but I tend to recover and ride better every other day.

Anybody can do it. It's just a matter of getting your body used to it. And I'm not fast.......just do my thing and ride my ride.

Plus it really helps if your spouse doesn't mind you spending that much time out on the road!! I guess I'm really, really lucky there.

80-85 miles seems to be my sweet spot right now. I just don't have a lot of push left in the legs for hills after 85 miles. I can still climb but I'd be hard pressed to pass a grandmother pushing a stroller up a hill right now. Come to think about it I don't think I've ever found a gear I couldn't use!!!
    Last edited by jppe; 12-29-13 at 07:34 PM.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Come to think about it I don't think I've ever found a gear I couldn't use!!!
    Well I haven't been using my 50x14 since I came back from a decade layoff....and that's my top.

Thanks. I'm 63 and you give me something to shoot for someday if I ever get more riding time. I only did one flat century this year but do a metric or so every weekend.
    Last edited by Zinger; 12-29-13 at 05:35 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    Well I haven't been using my 50x14 since I came back from a decade layoff....and that's my top.

Thanks. I'm 63 and you give me something to shoot for someday if I ever get more riding time. I only did one flat century this year but do a metric or so every weekend.
    If you're doing metrics the additional mileage is not that big of a reach. I think my wife and I might head out to Bellingham (north of Seattle??) this fall. Her best friend growing up lives out there and has been trying to get us to come out for several years....she says there is some really good road riding in her area.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you're doing metrics the additional mileage is not that big of a reach. I think my wife and I might head out to Bellingham (north of Seattle??) this fall. Her best friend growing up lives out there and has been trying to get us to come out for several years....she says there is some really good road riding in her area.
    I had a relatively flatland comeback year this year but plan to catch the hills around here more often next year. I was dragging pretty much at the end of my century. My problem is working second shift (don't ride at night) so I've only been doing about 90 - 100 miles per week. I could've done more centuries, though, if I could just make myself get up that early in the mornings. I'm going to have to do some more serious intervals on Wednesdays short rides if I'm serious about cutting my century times down to any closer to used-to-be.

Yeah Bellingham is up north of Seattle on Puget Sound. Man that has to be beautiful country (never been quite that far up the coast). We're all the way inland by the Idaho border and also blessed with somewhat mountainous scenery.