Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Polarized Sunglasses

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Polarized Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-13, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Polarized Sunglasses

Ok, so I had to abandon persecution sunglasses because they would be too thick. My eye doctor has given me some daily contacts to try out and I can see fine (except very close up) so, I have decided to try contacts this year for cycling. The options seem seem plentiful but, I think I have decided on frames with interchangeable lenses for different light conditions. My only other thought is whether to get polarized lenses so, what the thoughts on polarized sunglasses?

Oh and,

I know brand and style has been beat to death on this forum but, if any of you would like to make recommendations that would be great (I am leaning toward Tifosi Tyrant or Slip).
Old 12-25-13, 04:36 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I thought round lenses and using a polarizing filter you could rotate (camera lens filter)
would be a Cool Thing..
since polarizing is all about the parallel lines so light waves are only coming through on one axis

and you would choose the axis.. rather than the maker of the glasses ..
Old 12-25-13, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use polarized glasses since they were recommended by my doctor. The big difference is they reduce glare and reflection which makes it easier on the eye. I also need to carry regular reading glasses.
Old 12-25-13, 06:01 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
Ok, so I had to abandon persecution sunglasses because they would be too thick. My eye doctor has given me some daily contacts to try out and I can see fine (except very close up) so, I have decided to try contacts this year for cycling. The options seem seem plentiful but, I think I have decided on frames with interchangeable lenses for different light conditions. My only other thought is whether to get polarized lenses so, what the thoughts on polarized sunglasses?

Oh and,

I know brand and style has been beat to death on this forum but, if any of you would like to make recommendations that would be great (I am leaning toward Tifosi Tyrant or Slip).
I wear Tifosi Slips with the photo chromatic lens and I absolutely love them. While I can use several lenses, I don't really need them with the photo chromatic lenses.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-25-13, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
I use the Tifosi Tyrant with the "Light Night Fototec" lens.
It has a wide enough range that I can start a ride in bright sunlight, and finish well after dark, running lights, and I don't need to change glasses.

My past experience with interchangeable lenses was:
1. Every time you change lenses on the road, you have newly installed lenses with fingerprint smudges.
2. The flexing of lens and/or frame to make the change will soon result in one of them breaking.

BTW LCD screens (e.g. Garmin Edge) are polarized, so if the sunglasses have polarization that does not match the device, you have not be able to read it unless you turn it sideways. Cellphones normally use OLED screens, so they do not have the issue.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 12-25-13 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-25-13, 07:14 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I just use clip-on polarized shades with my regular bifocals.
Old 12-25-13, 07:59 PM
authorized user

Bikes: Specialized, Cannondale, Seven

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Ray Ban prescription sunglasses that are great - except the polarized element - can't read the car digital display... great for biking, bad for car driving.

Last edited by gary245; 12-25-13 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-25-13, 08:08 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
My Rudy Project Rydons have polarized lenses. They are really good when the setting sun is glaring off the road, and useful whenever it's sunny. I don't have any problem seeing my Garmin, or my older Sigma bike computer, but I've seen others complain that their polarized lenses blocked the display. I've seen posters on BF say that polarized lenses make it hard to see wet spots on the pavement, but it seems okay to me.
Old 12-25-13, 09:57 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
My prescription sunnies are polarized. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Don't dither, just do it.
Old 12-25-13, 11:30 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I prefer Polarized Blue Block sun glasses.
Old 12-26-13, 05:31 AM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
I have been very happy with the polarized glasses I recently bought at Gander Mtn...they were around $25, fit very well, comfortable and light weight.
I'm an Oakley fan boy and have been since their Factory Pilots a long time ago...but there are some very nice glasses out there at very good prices.
Old 12-26-13, 09:24 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
I have been very happy with the polarized glasses I recently bought at Gander Mtn...they were around $25, fit very well, comfortable and light weight.
I'm an Oakley fan boy and have been since their Factory Pilots a long time ago...but there are some very nice glasses out there at very good prices.
+1 Bought some polarized glasses at Bass Pro for under 25, (I fish also) and they are very adequate for cycling also.
Old 12-26-13, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by gary245
I have a pair of Ray Ban prescription sunglasses that are great - except the polarized element - can't read the car digital display... great for biking, bad for car driving.
I have the same issue with reading the screen of my cat eye with polarized lenses. Something the op may want to consider.
Old 12-26-13, 11:05 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Back in the day I used to choose polarized sunglasses over others. On a recent tour I did what I often do - broke or lost my sunglasses. I stopped at Fred Meyer for provisions, including a replacement pair. I saw some polarized ones that looked good. I bought some. It turned out the plastic face on my bike computer was also polarized and the combination meant that I couldn't read the numbers - unacceptable. I stopped again and bought another, unpolarized pair.

My 2 cents is that before buying polarized you should check them out with your bike computer, gps, and any other device you might be reading as you're riding along.
Old 12-27-13, 05:44 PM

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker

Oh and,

I had cataracts removed recently and my doctor highly recommended polarized sunglasses. I got mine from Oakley with three sets of lenses (gray for bright light/amber for cloudy days/clear for night riding) for $425.
Old 12-28-13, 06:43 PM

Bikes: the 2 wheeled kind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was using some Costa Del Mars on the bike. Could barely see my computer with deep water blue lenses. Back water green lenses were better, but not much. I broke down and got some sunglasses to just use on the bike. Ended up getting Oakley half jackets because of the fit. Had to have the girl at the store come outside with me to look at my computer before I would buy them.

They came with the iridium black polarized lenses and I've had no issue with my bike computer. They fit pretty tight on my face so they are good with the wind. I wear one contact lens, so that was pretty important. The lenses change pretty easily and after changing them out for almost a year now, zero problems. I have two sets of the OEM Oakley lenses and three sets of the cheap copies, all polarized, and I can't tell the difference, except for the price.
Old 12-28-13, 07:16 PM

Bikes: Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Beer
I was using some Costa Del Mars on the bike. Could barely see my computer with deep water blue lenses. Back water green lenses were better, but not much. I broke down and got some sunglasses to just use on the bike. Ended up getting Oakley half jackets because of the fit. Had to have the girl at the store come outside with me to look at my computer before I would buy them.

They came with the iridium black polarized lenses and I've had no issue with my bike computer. They fit pretty tight on my face so they are good with the wind. I wear one contact lens, so that was pretty important. The lenses change pretty easily and after changing them out for almost a year now, zero problems. I have two sets of the OEM Oakley lenses and three sets of the cheap copies, all polarized, and I can't tell the difference, except for the price.
Where do you get cheap copies of Oakley lenses? I really want some.
Old 12-29-13, 06:00 AM

Bikes: the 2 wheeled kind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clawed
Where do you get cheap copies of Oakley lenses? I really want some.
I got mine on e-bay. It was quite a while ago, but I think it was three pair for around $50. I can't tell them from the originals.

Recently heard of a company named Revant that does the replacement lenses. They have a photochromic lens that goes from yellow to smoke that I'm thinking of trying out.
Old 12-30-13, 02:44 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I would not recommend Polarized sunglasses for cycling. The polarization makes it difficult to read your computer and doesn't help enough glare to make them worth the extra cost. A better upgrade, IMHO, is Transition lenses -- which are clear in low light and turn darker as it brightens. I ride a lot in the dark while commuting, and Transition lenses are a real benefit.
Old 12-30-13, 03:08 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I had Lasik surgery almost 15 years ago went from 20/575 to 20/18. Fantastic. BUT now I have the sunglasses issue. I prefer a brown/orange lens to gray or green. I have several pairs of sunglasses - one in each car and one in my helmet that is strapped to the bike. And yes - get polarized. Then again, I don't have a computer on my bike. I even found a pair of polarized sun readers - polarized sunglasses with a reading 'bifocal' part.