Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-31-13, 07:44 AM   #1
on2wheelsks 

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What does N+1 mean and

where did the term originate? I think it means a new bike, but where did the terminology come from?
Can you help a newbie understand?
TIA
Pat
Old 12-31-13, 07:51 AM   #2
Dorf411

Bikes: 89 Bottecchia, 90's Eddy Merckx MXL, Vision R40, Blk Mtn Cycles Super Cross
I think it comes from general math or from geometry:

A+B+C=N

A=Number of bikes in basement
B=Number of bikes in garage
C=Number of bikes in storage

N=Total number of bikes in possession

Therefore N+1 is the number of bikes desired!
Dorf411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 07:53 AM   #3
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Where N is the number of bikes that you currently possess, and 1 is the bike that you will next obtain, N+1 is the correct number of bikes that you should possess.

A corollary, sort of, is that because a Backup Bike must be included in the stable, N must be greater than or equal to 2.

Last edited by JanMM; 12-31-13 at 07:59 AM.
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 08:01 AM   #4
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Bikes:
N+1 basically means that you will always desire one more bike than you already have. D-1 is staying one short of the number of bikes that would result in a divorce.
Myosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 08:13 AM   #5
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorf411 View Post
I think it comes from general math or from geometry:

A+B+C=N

A=Number of bikes in basement
B=Number of bikes in garage
C=Number of bikes in storage

N=Total number of bikes in possession

Therefore N+1 is the number of bikes desired!
Correct as far as it goes.

Now tell me how you define a "bike".

Is a bike in a box a bike or a storage problem?
If you have a frame and all of the parts but they aren't assembled, is that a bike?
What if you have everything but pedals? Does it still count as a bike? Lots of new bikes come with no pedals.

I HATE when people ask how many bikes I own because I don't know the answer. My wife thinks that she knows, but she's wrong.
Old 12-31-13, 08:19 AM   #6
RPK79

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myosmith View Post
N+1 basically means that you will always desire one more bike than you already have. D-1 is staying one short of the number of bikes that would result in a divorce.
Can you show us a graph?
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 08:21 AM   #7
NVanHiker

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I remember back in the early '80's when BASIC language came standard on Apple computers, if you wanted to count something, you added the line N = N+1" to increase the number of something every time the program went through the loop.
NVanHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 08:51 AM   #8
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Other useful nomenclature;
-FLIP IT AND SLAM IT.
-HTFU.
-Tombay.
-pie.
-drope the hamer.
-dial it up to 400W.
-massive guads.
-asploding crabon.

There are others but that hits the most commonly used ones.
Old 12-31-13, 08:53 AM   #9
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '88 Fuji Saratoga, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
And So It goes...

"Be careful what you set your heart upon -- for it will surely be yours." -- James Baldwin

N+1 points to the insufficiency of things to satisfy the deepest longings of human desire...which are to be known and to be loved. Solomon, who had riches and wisdom beyond calculation, observed at the end of his life,

"Better what the eye sees than the roving of the appetite. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind."

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 12-31-13 at 08:55 AM. Reason: punctuation
Phil_gretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 08:55 AM   #10
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '14 Trek 1.1, '10 Fuji Finest 3.0, '98 Cannondale R500, '88 Trek 360
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

(All below is just MHO) A bicycle in a box... is just that. Parked, hanging in a garage, on a porch, in a basement... or a box. All are merely locations and doesn't reflect on a bikes state of existent. Storage problems relate to people and/or homes or locations. A storage problem... is never truly associated with a bicycle.

Quote:
If you have a frame and all of the parts but they aren't assembled, is that a bike?
As long as the parts are reasonability preserved, organized and secure in location... yes. If I disassemble my primary ride to clean and recondition it... at some point in the reconditioning does it fail to exist? Of course not.
However..... scattered, lost, damaged, misplaced and mismatched parts and frames do not equal one bike per frame.

Quote:
What if you have everything but pedals? Does it still count as a bike? Lots of new bikes come with no pedals.
Pedals are optional. Only with the exception of some rare and/or older collectable bicycles that would require a specific or special pedal. But even with such an exception the bike would still exist as bicycle but also be determined as incomplete, not all original, or "without pedals".

Quote:
I HATE when people ask how many bikes I own because I don't know the answer. My wife thinks that she knows, but she's wrong.
There are many worse things in life than uninventoried wealth. You are a lucky man.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 12-31-13 at 09:12 AM.
Dave Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 09:18 AM   #11
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
"Be careful what you set your heart upon -- for it will surely be yours." -- James Baldwin

N+1 points to the insufficiency of things to satisfy the deepest longings of human desire...which are to be known and to be loved. Solomon, who had riches and wisdom beyond calculation, observed at the end of his life,

"Better what the eye sees than the roving of the appetite. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind."
Proverbs 32:13 Meaningless, meaningless and a chasing of wind, which I could catch if the Queen of Sheba would have made good on her promise of the new Serotta frame and Cinelli stem, with top end Campy groupo and the Zipp 404s."
Old 12-31-13, 11:43 AM   #12
Dorf411

Bikes: 89 Bottecchia, 90's Eddy Merckx MXL, Vision R40, Blk Mtn Cycles Super Cross
Quote:
Upon my last acquisition I realized that I had enough bikes that my wife could no longer tell them apart even considering major paint color differences. This is the "sweet spot", simply get all bike products mailed to the office and casually deliver them back home and you are golden. Is there a formula for the "sweet spot"
Dorf411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 02:49 PM   #13
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I tend to think of it as "N+m" where "m" is the number of frankenbuilds I'm currently engaged with. Most of the "m" bikes do get built, but some get torn down again before any significant rides.
dbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 02:51 PM   #14
Murray Missile 
Bike hoarder.

Bikes: Too many according to my wife.
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Upon my last acquisition I realized that I had enough bikes that my wife could no longer tell them apart even considering major paint color differences. This is the "sweet spot", simply get all bike products mailed to the office and casually deliver them back home and you are golden. Is there a formula for the "sweet spot"
Hmmm, my wife must be more bike "conscious". As soon as the rear wheel was mounted to the last build as it sat on the workstand my wife gave me the "look" and asked "WHOSE BIKE IS THIS?!" BUSTED! Quickly followed by, "How many does this one make?" Of course I didn't count the three that haven't been assembled yet since technically they're just parts.
Old 12-31-13, 05:47 PM   #15
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
^^ this.

The corollary to this is that your D bike will cost you two times what you thought it would in order to make it the D-1 bike since you have to buy another one of equal value for your cyclist wife. Or if not a cyclist, then something of equal or greater value.

J.
JohnJ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 05:53 PM   #16
Rowan

Bikes:
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
I would have thought it came from the world of statistics where n = sample size.

I saw it applied to kayaks the other day. A friend who also is a cyclist (and frame builder) acquired another double sea kayak to go with the one he and his wife already have. He posted that if n+1 can be used for bikes, it can also for kayaks.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 05:56 PM   #17
Rowan

Bikes:
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
^^ this.

The corollary to this is that your D bike will cost you two times what you thought it would in order to make it the D-1 bike since you have to buy another one of equal value for your cyclist wife. Or if not a cyclist, then something of equal or greater value.

J.
Sigh. Yes, the cost of anything I might want is doubled immediately in our household. Except for the tandem. Which cost twice any of our single bikes. Although, come to think of it, I do have the only bike trailer... and rollers. So maybe I am in front just a little.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 06:12 PM   #18
Dan Burkhart 

Bikes:
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Correct as far as it goes.

You too, huh? If the elves should busy themselves some dark night in my garage, assembling the various frames and components stashed there into complete bikes, I have no idea how many bikes I would find there in the morning, but it would be several more than there is now.
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 07:00 PM   #19
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
At my house
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike scale.jpg (28.2 KB, 60 views)
Steve B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 07:34 PM   #20
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVanHiker View Post
I remember back in the early '80's when BASIC language came standard on Apple computers, if you wanted to count something, you added the line N = N+1" to increase the number of something every time the program went through the loop.
My vote for historical origin of N+1.
Old 12-31-13, 07:54 PM   #21
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
At my house
"My Lawyer says the bikes should be split 50/50"

Well you can console yourself with the thought that she'll sell them for only what you told her you paid for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike scale.jpg (28.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Zinger; 12-31-13 at 08:23 PM.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 09:37 AM   #22
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Proverbs 32:13 Meaningless, meaningless and a chasing of wind, which I could catch if the Queen of Sheba would have made good on her promise of the new Serotta frame and Cinelli stem, with top end Campy groupo and the Zipp 404s."
That is absolutely great. The Queen of Sheba even found that funny and suggested that much of scripture could be livened up with bicycle references. I'm looking for a sermon in there somewhere.
jhazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 09:37 AM   #23
on2wheelsks 

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite
Interesting responses, sounds like I may need to add to the stable just to balance things out!
Old 01-03-14, 12:00 AM   #24
jodphoto

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project
Quote:
It depends on storage capability. I have 5 bikes in my garage. My wife's bike plus 2 donor bikes are in front of 2 finished bikes with front wheels removed. In my wife's eyes this is a junkyard where her bike is the only good one. In my basement I have 3 bikes hanging from the ceiling, again with front wheels removed and one complete bike ready to ride. My wife is a smart woman and can certainly count, but this system of camouflage seems to work. It also helps that the garage and basement are man spaces. No lady would even want to go in them. Hope this helps.
jodphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 10:25 AM   #25
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by on2wheelsks View Post
Interesting responses, sounds like I may need to add to the stable just to balance things out!
Ah, but the thing about N+1 is that there is perpetual imbalance. You always need one more bike. Always.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote