Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you like about winter night riding?

I know that since we're past the winter solstice, more daylight will be creeping back into each day here in the northern hemisphere. This is something I welcome. Yet, I also know that there is a stillness in night winter riding that is hard to find anywhere else. For me it's one of the best things about night riding. This shot was taken with my smart phone while along the Schuylkill River near Port Providence on 12/22. Schuylkill River near Port Providence smaller.jpg

I know it could never experience this in day riding or even in summer night rides. So, what is it you like about winter night riding?
    Last edited by NOS88; 12-31-13 at 03:43 PM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sense that I'm doing something borderline eccentric, adventurous, dangerous, exciting while others sit home and watch tv.
    great river road.jpg
    Here's my trail. They recently did a "Finding Bigfoot" episode here. I never do see no bigfeets, not even at night.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my book, the only good thing about night riding in the winter is that it can be done at 6:00 pm instead of 10:30.

My Bikes
    3 rideable, 6 in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done night-time single-track riding with friends once using borrowed, high powered lights. Never again. Undoubtedly exciting, but just too much concentration for me.

I ride occasionally at night on roads but only local trips in town. I just don't trust the motorists at night out in the country on unlit roads.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you're dressed for it and warm, it can be most excellent. There something quiet and soft about snow on the ground with nobody around.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    www.amoebalight.blogspot.com
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just getting ready to turn 50 young in a few weeks. I do about 90% of my riding in the dark! It seems like that was the only free time I could ever find to ride. We do a regular FIFO (First In, First Out) before work ride at 5 am about 3 times a week. I find this is the best way to start the day, on a ride with my friends out in nature as it is just waking up. I have also found that riding in the dark can turn the most familiar trails into new ones and the best thing is you have the trails all to yourself. No Strava jerks. Here is a picture from our FIFO ride yesterday morning catching the sunrise coming up from Evergreen Mountain -

Evergreen sunrise.jpg

Here is a short video from the same ride -

Oh yeah, I also happen to build custom "built to order" bike lights (been building them now for over 6 years). Check out my blog for some more ride pics and videos - Amoeba - the simplest "light" form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost everything.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost nothing.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't dig it, man.

99% of my night riding is on the bike paths, so maybe that's the trouble. I have never tried a real rural ride after dark. Not really appealing either. Kudus to you night-flies out there, but I do not like.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Single track MTB on ice and snow is actually a lot of fun. If you want to reduce the level of concentration, use a smaller light!
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    When you're dressed for it and warm, it can be most excellent. There something quiet and soft about snow on the ground with nobody around.
    No. 1. The city clears off the MUP on the river from time to time and the riding there is amazing in the evening esp. when the moonlight is bright on the frozen river and the stars are out.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    The sense that I'm doing something borderline eccentric, adventurous, dangerous, exciting while others sit home and watch tv.
    great river road.jpg
    Here's my trail. They recently did a "Finding Bigfoot" episode here. I never do see no bigfeets, not even at night.
    Well duh, it's not like they're going to carry flashlights or something. That's why that Goatman feller is so hard to catch. I leave him some blinkies under the trestle for his personal use, but he never seems to gets the what fer.

Anyway, riding at night is fun when you're going around looking at Christmas lights, but that's about it for me.
    Last edited by Dudelsack; 01-01-14 at 08:03 AM.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the concentration needed on ice and snow. It reduces my stress when my brain is occupied with the ride. I like the peace and quiet.
    Something nice about being alone and almost no one knows where you are.
    It's good exercise and it's a lot cheaper than driving to a mountain, buying a lift ticket, and, all the other costs that go along with skiing.
    I can start at my house and all the gear is already paid for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale ST600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like to ride at night, However in the Winter I have to ride very early in the morning to get any miles in at all so it does seem like riding at night, between the cold and the dark I would avoid it if I could but then I would get no miles in at all, looking forward to spring and more daylight.
    2013 Roubaix Sport Compact, 1987 Cannondale ST-600

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta say, there are some awesome pix up there!

I do a lot of night time winter riding to commute home from work. It's not usually all that cold, though. The thing I like most about night riding is the utter peacefulness of it.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not early evening, but early morning for me. The suburban streets that will become crowded with traffic by 7AM are clear and quiet at 4AM. I figured out a loop route where I have almost all green traffic lights, so its easy to spend an hour cranking out 18-20 miles before going to work. And since I'm in Southern California the mid winter temps only get down to the high 30s/low40s; quite comfy compared to you crazies in the Midwest who go out in 0F temps!
    Are we having fun yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anything, I like the fact that I am not on a wind trainer in my basement!

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year l rode at around 0430 five to six days a week. I developed a toe issue that took a long time to heal--I may have had a small bit of frostbite. This year I am avoiding sub 40. I did one ride back in November in the early AM where temps where in the mid 30s and my toe started aching. I think I won't try that again until next year.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-03-14 at 07:22 AM.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Streets , actually Hwy 30, thru town is quiet , low traffic,

but for a few Over night Long Haul delivery trucks .

& the city and county constables, taxis and Medix .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photo!

For one thing, night rides are all commutes home from work, back to my home and family. Last night was special because of the snowflakes swirling in the beam of the headlight and, at the end, the sight of my house lit up for Christmas. Alas, there will be no moon tonight, but I expect the night sky will be pretty good on the few dark sections. One thing it will not be is quiet -- the snow is crunchy today and the ride in was surprisingly loud.

Paul

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using headlight on strobe while it's snowing
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny/painful story - thought it would be fun to go nite x-c skiing with a buddy w headlamps a looong time ago. we were doing fine until we hit a hill in the woods where we both crashed and he broke the tips off both skis. I duct taped them back together and we limped home through the forest
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    Be sure to take LSD first !! And your anti seizure meds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Ibis Spanky, Schwinn Le Tour, Bruce Gordon TT, GT Avalanch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    I gotta say, there are some awesome pix up there!

I do a lot of night time winter riding to commute home from work.<s> It's not usually all that cold, though.</s> The thing I like most about night riding is the utter peacefulness of it.
    I agree. As a family man pre-dawn or night rides are the only time I get alone... and with my bikes.
    I ride bicycles. I have a yellow one, a white one, a black one, and a red one. They make me happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    If I make it to 92 I am going to live on Drambuie, chain smoke Dunhills, and take up heroin...

high above the pounding surf of Lake Erie
    My Bikes
    two seem to do
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    This is just my second Winter of riding, but while taking a break to walk around some on a recent ride, realized that the falling snow will cover my lights to the point of no longer being visible. Now it's reach ahead every few minutes to wipe 'em off!

I'm a morning guy that leaves before dawn to ride. Too much tavern traffic around here in the after work hours. Like the light traffic before dawn. Really don't like the level of concentration it takes to ride icy, rutted roads...doze off for a moment and you're down, even with studs. Otherwise, very nice riding in the dark!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast