User Tag List

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy New Years, 50+'ers

May each and every one of you enjoy a healthy and happy 2014! I guess now it is time to get the New Years resolutions in order. Mine is to ride further than I did in 2013, my 1st full year back on a bicycle after 45 years. I need to go over 2000 miles this year, any additional will be icing on the cake. (Or pie)
    Pat
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. -Bertrand Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy New Years to all, May 2014 be good to you and yours.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy New Years all.
    Today I went for a ceremonial New Years Day bicycle ride. I must be acclimated to winter already as the 40 degrees seemed very pleasant. I left the road bike at home and rode my old steel mountain bike up the big hill covered in road salt. It was only a few miles.... but a very nice ride. We are all very lucky... to be a part of cycling.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peace and health and joy and wealth to you all.

I have no resolutions but I am getting caught up on cancer screenings and the like... just because.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Customary crack-of-dawn New Year's Day ride for me, as well -- 25mi/40km out-and-back to the top of Torrey Pines hill. I understandably get no climatic sympathy from anyone, but I did need my leg warmers and winter cycling gloves today.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great choice of music!
    Great climb! I sure wish I had that in my backyard. How long a climb is it......about 6-8% maybe?
    On the descent with the car moving into your lane.......was that as close as it looked going by it?
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Great choice of music!
    Great climb! I sure wish I had that in my backyard. How long a climb is it......about 6-8% maybe?
    On the descent with the car moving into your lane.......was that as close as it looked going by it?
    It's a wonderful place. 11 miles at 6-7% mostly. I don't remember that car being so close so it may be an optical trick, but I know how to ride the Mountain safely despite the bad drivers.

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    Happy New Years all.
    Today I went for a ceremonial New Years Day bicycle ride. I must be acclimated to winter already as the 40 degrees seemed very pleasant. I left the road bike at home and rode my old steel mountain bike up the big hill covered in road salt. It was only a few miles.... but a very nice ride. We are all very lucky... to be a part of cycling.
    Dittoes to all the above sentiments. Just a few minutes ago, I posted this to the Northeast Regional Discussion Forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    … since I usually go into work on Holidays for a few hours…I rode into Norwood by about 7:30 AM to do a few things, and debated about riding home vs taking the Commuter Rail at 9:05 AM. Since we were going out to brunch at noon, I wanted to work up an appetite, so I rode back… The round trip ride of 28 miles was a nice start to a hopefully good year.

Just now I happened to recall a little ditty from a famous hiking and backpacking book from the 1970's, The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher. It was on the frontspiece of the book:
    "Now shall I walk or shall I ride? / 'Ride' said Pleasure / 'Walk' Joy replied."
    which I would paraphrase as:
    "Now shall I drive or shall I ride? / 'Drive' said Pleasure / 'Ride' Joy replied."
    which explains why I was out on the road at 21 on New Years Day morning.

BTW, I am now riding just my beater winter bike even though the roads are nice and dry, because I don't want to expose my beautiful Specialized S-works to any salt. Am I being too fastidious? I even considered buying a cheaper road bike for the winter, but decided to stick with the Cannondale mountain bike.
    Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-02-14 at 04:58 AM.