Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Strava--what device do you use?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smartphone.

23 21.90%
  • Garmin, etc.

61 58.10%
  • Strava? What's Strava?

2 1.90%
  • Strava, I don't need on stinkin' Strava!

18 17.14%
  • Lord help me! Another poll.

1 0.95%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strava

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strava

Recently graduated to a smartphone and just started using Strava.

Vote in the poll. If you've used a smart phone and also have used a Garmin, etc., which do you feel is better?
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-01-14 at 06:18 PM.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    Look 695;Trek Y-33,Madone P1 6series, Parlee Z5i
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garmin.. Upload to strava.. Save phone battery

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    GPS doesn't drain the battery that much and, in my case, I'm using a Droid Maxx which has a long lasting battery(3rd party tester found nearly 24 hours of talk time with the Maxx).
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm bi. I can go either way. The iPhone usually has adequate battery life except for very long rides.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Android phone only - works GREAT. I have an external backup battery for centuries.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Garmin 800 for power and strava. I ride with a smartphone but haven't tried it with strava yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a CycleOps GPS computer for Strava.
    1975 Albert Eisentraut - 2006 Moots Compact: Campy Chorus - 2007 KHS Solo-One -2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage - 2013 Alchemy Xanthus: Campy Record

My Bikes
    early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iphone...

it's all I have and I would not spend money on a GPS unit since I'm not "that" serious. I do like having strava to see my progress.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    Android phone only - works GREAT. I have an external backup battery for centuries.
    I have to use an external battery back-up on my Garmin 800 for double centuries too.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Giant Defy Composite 0, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    This. My Garmin will record for 15 or more hours. The iphone gets low after 4 or 5 hours. Besides, if the Garmin runs out, I can still look up directions or call for help with my phone.

​BB
    www.beancotton.com
    Formerly Fastest of the Slow Riders, Currently Slowest of the Fast Riders

http://veloviewer.com/athlete/2615827/

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Garmin more but I have used the Iphone. The Iphone tends to be "Very" generous on Segments and elevations as does Android. The advantage to the phone is you can send to Strava before you get home. The Advantage to the Garmin is you can update to Ridwithgps and Mapmyride plus Garmin Connect. You can then program a ride on your computer and save it to Garmin as a course and follow the turn by turn on a ride. Haven't tried that on my phone.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the entry level Garmin (Garmin200) lasts long enough for a double century. Where I ride a smartphone will only sometimes just barely make ti through a metric century, sometimes not even that. I now use a Gamin 510 with my smartphone linked to it. There are some nice features with this setup and long battery life for both devices. An added bonus is I still have a phone when or if I need a phone.

Mark

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted that "I dont need no steenkin Strava". The reason is that when I worked for the 50 years that I did, I had to work for numbers. Now that I am retired, I just ride for the fun and exercise. Numbers be damned.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    I voted that "I dont need no steenkin Strava".
    Me too. Actually, I'd kind of like to have one but only to carry in my car while I drive several of my son's favorite hill ride segments.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Garmin and upload data to a website to record rides, analyze and keep track of progress, etc.. but it's not Strava.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Garmin 500 on my Trek Domane, but never set it up (or got an extra mount) for the Trek 1500. I used the Strava app on my iPhone if I am riding the 1500. so, I use both.

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the bottom of the range Garmin (200), which is perfect as a computer that tells me how fast I'm going, how far I've gone and what my average speed is, which are the only things I really want to see on a ride. And when I get home, I can download the ride to the computer and see how steep the hills were. I have a mount on each bike, so I just move the Garmin from bike to bike, depending on which one I'm riding. It works for me.

But having said that I just acquired a new phone (Nexus 5), so I could try the Android route for shorter rides. But it would mean three mounting systems for three bikes, at a time when I am trying hard not to spend money. I think I'll stick with the Garmin.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Garmin 800 and Golden Cheetah software. Occasionally, I upload to Strava but I keep my data private. I do not need to give my competitors any more information than they already have. I use my iPhone for other purposes.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garmin's are nice in that you don't need a separate cycling computer, they are water-resistant (they float too, but that's another story) and impact resistant. Compared to my phone, the GPS antenna on my Garmin is more sensitive which means that the track will be more accurate. And, if you have a Garmin with a barometric altimeter, your elevation and ascent will be more accurate.

My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced, Windsor Tourist
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    I have to use an external battery back-up on my Garmin 800 for double centuries too.

Rick / OCRR
    You just need to ride faster.

The last time I did a double century was probably before Garmins and smart phones were invented.

I use my Garmin Edge 705 or Forerunner 305 for tracking mileage. I upload to both Strava and Garmin Connect. I carry a smart phone but I use it for phone calls mostly with the occasional weather check.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I use a Garmin 800 and Golden Cheetah software. Occasionally, I upload to Strava but I keep my data private. I do not need to give my competitors any more information than they already have. I use my iPhone for other purposes.
    I want my competitors to see my data, so they might be lulled into taking the entire season off, at which time they could still thrash my tush.

Strava for me is more a social thing. I enjoy seeing what my peers are up to. I wish more people would take advantage of the Instagram features and snap some photos of their rides. I try to take one or two each ride, although my common routes are getting pretty snapped out by now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Runkeeper Pro on iOS, together with a Mophie Red for my rides.

Runkeeper because its a great crew of local (Boston) geeks, and it really is a great cross-sport tracker.

But the biggest advantage is using Runkeeper Live to let someone at home dramatically mitigate anxiety by knowing they can (almost) always find out where I am when I ride. In the mountains of western mass there are some data dead spots, but they aren't that large. The funny thing, knowing they *can* find me means they never actually bother to look for me. No more "where are you" texts.

-mr. bill

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    The advantage to the phone is you can send to Strava before you get home. The Advantage to the Garmin is you can update to Ridwithgps and Mapmyride plus Garmin Connect. You can then program a ride on your computer and save it to Garmin as a course and follow the turn by turn on a ride. Haven't tried that on my phone.
    This - plus the convenience of not having to have mounts on multiple bikes. The phone app will work through data or WiFi which is a nice feature if you have a teenage daughter who is always on the computer.

I don't know about the phone accuracy with different phones or different parts of the country but mine is fine. And I deny that barometric altimetry is significantly more precise than whatever the phone app uses - they both have some variability and are more or less accurate in different situations.

There are some nice advantages to the Garmin devices, but I don't think Strava functionality is one of them.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Garmin 800 to upload to Strava, Garmin Connect, RideWithGPS and Endomondo. I am not as obsessed with data and measuring as that may seem to indicate. My main purpose in tracking rides is to share routes with my club members and others and also to help me analyze routes that I prepare for club events and charity rides. Each site offers small differences that I find useful for various purposes.

Another reason I track my rides is for participation in the National Bike Challenge that the League of American Bicyclists conducts for advocacy purposes. They use Endomondo for that. I have the Endomondo app on my phone so I can catch the short rides I do just to get my daily ride points. I find the phone apps kind of clunky and prefer the Garmin when I have it available.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Me too. Actually, I'd kind of like to have one but only to carry in my car while I drive several of my son's favorite hill ride segments.
    Add me to the I don't need no stinkin Strava list.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast