Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Look 586, Condor Baracchi, Litespeed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What took them so long.....a bike computer with big numbers

Maybe there have been other companies who have done it, but Cateye is now selling a bike computer with bigger numbers-the Padrone. I am surprised it took so long to see a need for this, considering all the 50-60-70 year olds that now ride

cateye_padrone.JPG

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 600, 1985 Trek 660, 197? Holdsworth Mistral, 1995 Trek 800 mountain bike, 2013 Jamis Coda Comp, 2013 Specialized Crosstrack.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be looking in to one of these, thanks!

My Bikes
    1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just the other day was thinking about it - I have no problem reading my Strada in bright daylight, but have a hard time in low light. This looks much easier to read.

My Bikes
    2011 Look 566, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800, '87 d'Arienzo-Basso w/full Campy & '51 Rudge Sports
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang!

And I was looking at riding glasses with bifocals!

Now which way do I go?
    Current Rides, Look 566 & d' Arienzo-Basso Daily Rides. Cannondale 800 Optimo, utility bike.

My Bikes
    2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a Schwinn bike computer with big, big readout for 14 bucks. BTW, I ride with tri-focals. Progressive lenses compromise periferal vision.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by look566 rider View Post
    Dang!

Now which way do I go?
    How do you change a flat and find the cause without glasses?
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    N+1=20013 Green mongoose Beast, '74 Raleigh International, '58 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, Univega Alpine Sport, Univega Ladies MTB- Wife's, Townie 7D -Wife's, and a pile-o-spare British 'junque'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads-up on this! I was going to get some new glasses because last time I cleaned air-conditioner coils the wind shifted and drifted a small cloud of cleaner onto me. The tiny droplets took off the anti-glare coating in tiny spots , just enough to make the entire lens light-up when the bright sunlight hit them, as if they had been "bedazzled".
    2 Peter 2:16. "But was rebuked for his inequity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet"

My Bikes
    1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    How do you change a flat and find the cause without glasses?
    +1. Glasses are part of my flat-fixing kit!

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry fixing (reading) glasses. But I did not like bifocals on riding glasses at all. You look down at the tires or gears or bike pieces and see horrible blurrrr.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally ride with single vision sunglasses. On my new Garmin 800 I find I can see the 3-item display OK. The 5-item is a little tough without looking closely. For flats or detail work I do OK with taking off the glasses, as long as distance isn't too much. That's actually how I'm typing right now, even though I have progressives.

scott s.

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bifocals I made just for bicycling. I set them up so that the bifocal was just right for the distance to my cycle computer. Instead of going back to the optometrist to get a bifocal prescription with the right parameters I simply Photoshopped the prescription to say what I wanted it to say. I also worked with the glasses place to get the placement of the bifocal so that it works well for the bicycle computer but doesn't get in the way of my "road" vision. I've been very happy with them.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It has been done before...

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 600, 1985 Trek 660, 197? Holdsworth Mistral, 1995 Trek 800 mountain bike, 2013 Jamis Coda Comp, 2013 Specialized Crosstrack.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a small, fold up pair of cheapo reading glasses with me in case I need to fix something. They are about the size of a lighter.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear progressive riding glasses which work very well for me. No issues with peripheral vision or distortion beyond what you get with any other glasses and I can clearly see the road, computer, bike parts while riding, the tiny shard that cause a flat... How well they work can certainly depend on the amount and type of correction you need. I've had bifocals with discreet near vision sections in the past and really didn't like them for any purposes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worked very hard not to pay attention to my cycle computer while riding. In fact, during the early stages of this effort, I put tape over it so I would stop looking down to see stuff. These days I only use my cycle computer to gather information that I look at after the ride. So, the size of numerals isn't an issue for me.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a Cateye Strada (wired, no cadence) for years. Worked great for my needs (mph, odo and trip distance, clock).

Unfornately I dropped it during a ride and it was crushed my a car - I wanted to buy a 1:1 replacement so I could use same already installed base, but the Strada is discontinued.

So I just bought a Padrone. The big numbers will be nice (I need to take off glasses to see anything near me), but the wireless concerns me a bit given stories of loosing or bad data during rides - at least older gen wireless had this issue, does the Padrone also? How real an issue is this? I still have 6hrs to cancel my order.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear single vision glasses for cycling and driving. The one place being 7 diopters myopic comes in handy is that I can adjust for close focus simply by sliding them down my nose. My progressives have "office" partitioning, with allocates only the top 20% or so for distance.

As for large displays, in the early 1970s the shop manager at one of the Bikecology stores got a bicycle computer predecessor, which comprised the usual magnet-and-pickup for cadence and another for speed, along with two large analog gauges reminiscent of stereo tape recorder VU meters for the display. I suspect the entire system was analog, with a simple frequency-to-voltage conversion function between the Hall effect sensors and the displays. I have never seen another like it, and it was not long before the first digital displays began to appear.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I detest digital speedometers and tachometers in cars, so why should bicycles differ?
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seen one of those, was kinds cool being able to read this guys computer while riding along side
    Scott Spark 760, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife/stoker has that on her top tube. Easy to read, but limited function. Good for speed and distance mainly.

My Bikes
    (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1970 Raleigh Carlton International gravel grinder
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have zero problems reading my computer. Well actually that's not true. If I want to see it, I have to go to the store and it is still in its packaging, but that serves as a very effective deterrent.

But on bike vision? I could do single vision and hold repairs very close to my eyes but I don't. Bifocal sunglasses, tri regular. I use a helmet mirror in the upper left corner of my vision. Makes progressives useless. Besides I hate having to turn my whole head to see things clearly. That's what those ocular muscles are for.

Ben

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I've worked very hard not to pay attention to my cycle computer while riding. In fact, during the early stages of this effort, I put tape over it so I would stop looking down to see stuff. These days I only use my cycle computer to gather information that I look at after the ride. So, the size of numerals isn't an issue for me.
    I was doing that too. Then I noticed my avg speed slowed down a little. From about 15mph to around 13mph. Not sure why. Now I glance at the speed every once in a while to decide if I need to kick it up a notch or not.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by look566 rider View Post
    Dang!

Now which way do I go?
    Go with the bifocals anyway. Makes it easier to change tubes, read maps (and menus), etc.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bike computers with bigger numbers have been around for a while. I'll probably get a Cateye Velo 9 for my next computer for that reason, as my near vision keeps getting worse. Ironically, my distance vision has improved with age, but near vision continues to degrade.

My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    Bike computers with bigger numbers have been around for a while. I'll probably get a Cateye Velo 9 for my next computer for that reason, as my near vision keeps getting worse. Ironically, my distance vision has improved with age, but near vision continues to degrade.
    I decided again bifocals for cycling glasses because it adds so much to the cost, and not really needed except for reading my bike computer. I've found that I can read the computer better by looking under (or without) my eyeglasses.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akohekohe View Post
    I simply Photoshopped the prescription to say what I wanted it to say.
    No need to do that. At least not in NYS. Opticians are allowed to adjust reading section (and intermediate section for tri-focals). Mine has even sent me home with a set of lenses to see which worked best for my computer.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast