Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Strava--what device do you use?
Smartphone.
21.90%
Garmin, etc.
58.10%
Strava? What's Strava?
1.90%
Strava, I don't need on stinkin' Strava!
17.14%
Lord help me! Another poll.
0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Strava

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-14, 07:15 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Strava

Recently graduated to a smartphone and just started using Strava.

Vote in the poll. If you've used a smart phone and also have used a Garmin, etc., which do you feel is better?

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-01-14 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-01-14, 07:17 PM

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Garmin.. Upload to strava.. Save phone battery
Old 01-01-14, 07:20 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
GPS doesn't drain the battery that much and, in my case, I'm using a Droid Maxx which has a long lasting battery(3rd party tester found nearly 24 hours of talk time with the Maxx).
Old 01-01-14, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I'm bi. I can go either way. The iPhone usually has adequate battery life except for very long rides.

Old 01-01-14, 07:31 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Android phone only - works GREAT. I have an external backup battery for centuries.
Old 01-01-14, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I use a Garmin 800 for power and strava. I ride with a smartphone but haven't tried it with strava yet.
Old 01-01-14, 07:54 PM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
I use a CycleOps GPS computer for Strava.
Old 01-01-14, 08:07 PM

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iphone...

it's all I have and I would not spend money on a GPS unit since I'm not "that" serious. I do like having strava to see my progress.
Old 01-01-14, 08:30 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Android phone only - works GREAT. I have an external backup battery for centuries.
I have to use an external battery back-up on my Garmin 800 for double centuries too.

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-01-14, 08:37 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
This. My Garmin will record for 15 or more hours. The iphone gets low after 4 or 5 hours. Besides, if the Garmin runs out, I can still look up directions or call for help with my phone.

​BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-01-14, 09:50 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I use the Garmin more but I have used the Iphone. The Iphone tends to be "Very" generous on Segments and elevations as does Android. The advantage to the phone is you can send to Strava before you get home. The Advantage to the Garmin is you can update to Ridwithgps and Mapmyride plus Garmin Connect. You can then program a ride on your computer and save it to Garmin as a course and follow the turn by turn on a ride. Haven't tried that on my phone.
Old 01-01-14, 10:45 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Even the entry level Garmin (Garmin200) lasts long enough for a double century. Where I ride a smartphone will only sometimes just barely make ti through a metric century, sometimes not even that. I now use a Gamin 510 with my smartphone linked to it. There are some nice features with this setup and long battery life for both devices. An added bonus is I still have a phone when or if I need a phone.
Old 01-02-14, 08:33 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I voted that "I dont need no steenkin Strava". The reason is that when I worked for the 50 years that I did, I had to work for numbers. Now that I am retired, I just ride for the fun and exercise. Numbers be damned.
Old 01-02-14, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I voted that "I dont need no steenkin Strava".
Me too. Actually, I'd kind of like to have one but only to carry in my car while I drive several of my son's favorite hill ride segments.
Old 01-02-14, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I use a Garmin and upload data to a website to record rides, analyze and keep track of progress, etc.. but it's not Strava.
Old 01-02-14, 09:01 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Garmin 500 on my Trek Domane, but never set it up (or got an extra mount) for the Trek 1500. I used the Strava app on my iPhone if I am riding the 1500. so, I use both.
Old 01-02-14, 09:23 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the bottom of the range Garmin (200), which is perfect as a computer that tells me how fast I'm going, how far I've gone and what my average speed is, which are the only things I really want to see on a ride. And when I get home, I can download the ride to the computer and see how steep the hills were. I have a mount on each bike, so I just move the Garmin from bike to bike, depending on which one I'm riding. It works for me.

But having said that I just acquired a new phone (Nexus 5), so I could try the Android route for shorter rides. But it would mean three mounting systems for three bikes, at a time when I am trying hard not to spend money. I think I'll stick with the Garmin.
Old 01-02-14, 09:37 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I use a Garmin 800 and Golden Cheetah software. Occasionally, I upload to Strava but I keep my data private. I do not need to give my competitors any more information than they already have. I use my iPhone for other purposes.
Old 01-02-14, 10:08 AM
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Garmin's are nice in that you don't need a separate cycling computer, they are water-resistant (they float too, but that's another story) and impact resistant. Compared to my phone, the GPS antenna on my Garmin is more sensitive which means that the track will be more accurate. And, if you have a Garmin with a barometric altimeter, your elevation and ascent will be more accurate.
Old 01-02-14, 10:10 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I have to use an external battery back-up on my Garmin 800 for double centuries too.

Rick / OCRR
You just need to ride faster.

The last time I did a double century was probably before Garmins and smart phones were invented.

I use my Garmin Edge 705 or Forerunner 305 for tracking mileage. I upload to both Strava and Garmin Connect. I carry a smart phone but I use it for phone calls mostly with the occasional weather check.
Old 01-02-14, 10:16 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I use a Garmin 800 and Golden Cheetah software. Occasionally, I upload to Strava but I keep my data private. I do not need to give my competitors any more information than they already have. I use my iPhone for other purposes.
I want my competitors to see my data, so they might be lulled into taking the entire season off, at which time they could still thrash my tush.

Strava for me is more a social thing. I enjoy seeing what my peers are up to. I wish more people would take advantage of the Instagram features and snap some photos of their rides. I try to take one or two each ride, although my common routes are getting pretty snapped out by now.

Old 01-02-14, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Runkeeper Pro on iOS, together with a Mophie Red for my rides.

Runkeeper because its a great crew of local (Boston) geeks, and it really is a great cross-sport tracker.

But the biggest advantage is using Runkeeper Live to let someone at home dramatically mitigate anxiety by knowing they can (almost) always find out where I am when I ride. In the mountains of western mass there are some data dead spots, but they aren't that large. The funny thing, knowing they *can* find me means they never actually bother to look for me. No more "where are you" texts.

-mr. bill
Old 01-02-14, 11:47 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
The advantage to the phone is you can send to Strava before you get home. The Advantage to the Garmin is you can update to Ridwithgps and Mapmyride plus Garmin Connect. You can then program a ride on your computer and save it to Garmin as a course and follow the turn by turn on a ride. Haven't tried that on my phone.
This - plus the convenience of not having to have mounts on multiple bikes. The phone app will work through data or WiFi which is a nice feature if you have a teenage daughter who is always on the computer.

I don't know about the phone accuracy with different phones or different parts of the country but mine is fine. And I deny that barometric altimetry is significantly more precise than whatever the phone app uses - they both have some variability and are more or less accurate in different situations.

There are some nice advantages to the Garmin devices, but I don't think Strava functionality is one of them.
Old 01-02-14, 11:47 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I use a Garmin 800 to upload to Strava, Garmin Connect, RideWithGPS and Endomondo. I am not as obsessed with data and measuring as that may seem to indicate. My main purpose in tracking rides is to share routes with my club members and others and also to help me analyze routes that I prepare for club events and charity rides. Each site offers small differences that I find useful for various purposes.

Another reason I track my rides is for participation in the National Bike Challenge that the League of American Bicyclists conducts for advocacy purposes. They use Endomondo for that. I have the Endomondo app on my phone so I can catch the short rides I do just to get my daily ride points. I find the phone apps kind of clunky and prefer the Garmin when I have it available.
Old 01-02-14, 12:34 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Me too. Actually, I'd kind of like to have one but only to carry in my car while I drive several of my son's favorite hill ride segments.
Add me to the I don't need no stinkin Strava list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.