Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Did my birthday ride to celebrate joining this forum (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/928891-did-my-birthday-ride-celebrate-joining-forum.html)

hyegeek 01-06-14 09:38 PM

Did my birthday ride to celebrate joining this forum

Today's the day I'm finally qualified to join your august ranks. I did 50 miles in wind with the temperatures in the 20s and 30s. I'm either going to have to move to a warmer climate or allow myself a little more latitude on when to ride in the future.

Today was not TOO bad, but I did have to change routes due to ice.

10 Wheels 01-06-14 09:40 PM

You did so good,,, now warm up.

Happy Day to You.

aRoudy1 01-06-14 10:11 PM

Good ride! I hope you rewarded yourself with some hot apple pie!

hyegeek 01-06-14 10:20 PM

The reward was birthday cake after a very nice birthday dinner. Even better than Apple pie. :)

jon c. 01-06-14 10:25 PM

Welcome to the club.

I admire your fortitude. (While at the same time questioning if it may not be a form of insanity). I've got a birthday ride coming at the end of the month and I don't think I'll attempt it if it's under 50. I'm not sure I could do it in the 20s if there were a million dollar prize at the end.

Dan Burkhart 01-07-14 12:06 AM

Happy birthday, and welcome to the ranks of the seasoned citizens. Well done on the ride.

Dudelsack 01-07-14 06:34 AM

Welcome, kudos, chapeau, and all that.

qcpmsame 01-07-14 06:45 AM

Welcome aboard the 50+, good on you for riding a birthday ride. Now, what type of pie did you have? Have you scheduled your colonoscopy yet? Where are the pictures of your bike so we can all drool and ooh and ahhh over it?

Bill

hyegeek 01-07-14 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 16389470)
Welcome aboard the 50+, good on you for riding a birthday ride. Now, what type of pie did you have? Have you scheduled your colonoscopy yet? Where are the pictures of your bike so we can all drool and ooh and ahhh over it?

Bill

No pie, just cake. after all, it was my birthday. Scheduling various medical appointments is on the list for this month. The bike I rode the 50 on is not really worth the pictures, but the bike I ride when ice is not a factor is a bit nicer. I'll have to post a pic one of these days.

BTW. Where I live, road bikes are not really useful (they don't do so well on gravel). I do my riding on mountain bikes.

qcpmsame 01-07-14 07:33 AM

Seeing as you are a relatively young, "old":eek: guy the lack of pie:notamused: can be forgiven;), just this once, though:twitchy: However the Council of Elders may differ on that one. Pictures of the bike, road, mountain, work bike, BMX, TT rig, whatever, is one of our favorite pass times here. Glad you are here and make your self at home.:thumb:

Bill

Phil_gretz 01-07-14 07:36 AM

Welcome to 50+

Mountain bikes are fun. You'll find that riders on this forum have every type/configuration of bike imaginable. Good job on your birthday ride!

irwin7638 01-07-14 08:40 AM

Well done, your witless dedication entitles you to membership in this granfalloon! Welcome.

Marc

az_cyclist 01-07-14 09:06 AM

Welcome to the 50+ club

Cougrrcj 01-07-14 10:04 AM

Congrats on hitting the big 5-0. Fortunately for me, my birthday is Mothers' Day weekend, so I don't have to do my 'ride my age' b-day ride in the cold!

Well, you must not be in the part of the country affected by the so-hyped 'polar vortex'... Yesterday, the temp dropped from 31*F at 12:01am to -12*F by 9pm, and 35mph winds, gusting to 45. Not a day I'd be on the bike for ANY reason! Today at 11am it has 'warmed' all the way up to -7*F and the winds have died down to 16-18mph. Today looks like a good day for a little indoor training on the rollers! On the plus side, it is supposed to be in the mid 40s this weekend...

NOS88 01-07-14 10:11 AM

Welcome and happy birthday. Mine was yesterday, and I didn't even try to do a birthday ride. I'll do it on my half-birthday in July. And, "yes", my family celebrates half-birthdays. When you reach the 50+ year mark, you can't find enough reasons to celebrate with others.

hyegeek 01-07-14 10:30 AM

No polar vortex here and I don't think I would attempt a ride in sub zero, though last December I did do 20 miles in single digits. With enough preparation, it was fun.

bent4me 01-08-14 07:50 AM

Happy Birthday Hyegeek,
I started riding my age when I was 50 also. I will be 62 Saturday. It gets tougher and tougher especially here in the northeast where yesterdays temps were 5 degrees. I say every year I may have to ride south to do the ride. I allow myself the month of January to get the ride in. Temps should warm up beginning of next week so I hope to do the ride then. Price we pay for being January babies.

hyegeek 01-08-14 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by bent4me (Post 16392848)
Price we pay for being January babies.

Yep. I was thinking I would allow the ride anytime in the month as well. That at least will give me the option of using a weekend to get to a warmer place. But this year, I really wanted to do it on the day and I'm glad I did. Given what January usually is like around here, the weather cooperated pretty well.

jhazel 01-08-14 08:42 PM

Congratulations! Sounds like one of those things you are glad to be able to say you've done it, even though doing wasn't as much fun. There is a reason I spend my December birthday in San Diego.
Welcome to the Forum and Happy Birthday.

bent4me 01-12-14 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My pilgrimage birthday ride.
I DID IT!!!http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=359255