Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zandoval View Post
    Good Turn stopping for that guy - Its just amazing how cold 40 degree weather can be...

Here's my foavotire pump - Its light weight, fits in inside my tool bag - And doesn't loose all the air when your disconnecting it...

Boudicca - Would like some more details on this - Was it presta or shrader - Was the valve long or small or not screwed in all the way - I have never had this happen and certainly don't want this to happen to me...
    That was the pump I was using. I used to love it because it's so small and light and really gets good pressure. The misadventure was with a 48 mm Presta valve on Shimano 105 rims (so fairly deep rims). And as I unscrewed the pump, the whole valve came away from the (Continental) tube. Twice. I don't know if it was a flaw in the tube, or a flaw in the pump, but I was not a happy camper.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
    That was the pump I was using. I used to love it because it's so small and light and really gets good pressure. The misadventure was with a 48 mm Presta valve on Shimano 105 rims (so fairly deep rims). And as I unscrewed the pump, the whole valve came away from the (Continental) tube. Twice. I don't know if it was a flaw in the tube, or a flaw in the pump, but I was not a happy camper.
    Sounds like more of an issue with the tube than the pump.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ja ja ja, das wooskies alles. I'm staying with CO2 until they pry the cartridge out of my cold dead fingers.

Or until I get screwed over by it.

One nice thing about riding bents is I carry 5-6 CO2 cartridges and two replacement tubes and a patch kit, and I run Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. If I can't make do with that, I deserve to walk home.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a pump (Topeak Speed Master Blaster) and 2 CO2 carts. w/inflator bit plus 2 tubes but skip the patch kit now since I've had trouble with the glue drying out (even if the tube was un-opened!) and the glueless patches not working well at all.

Oh, plus I carry a Park "tire boot" or two since they've saved me a couple of times when a tire has been brutally slashed by something evil on the road. I usually carry a cell phone but if I'm out in the boonies I turn it off since (when left on) it will hunt for signals and use up its battery. I turn it back on when (and if) I need it.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One tube, 2 C02, one quik stik, cell phone. People that have problems with c02 don't know how to properly use it. 2 or 3 tubes? I rarely have 3 flats in an entire season let alone on one ride. Say kevlar when you purchase tires. Or if thorns are a problem go tubeless.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kit varies slightly, based on distance, and where I am riding. Rides in the city, I carry a frame mounted pump, a spare tube, and $3 in change. The change will allow me to treat one of our excellent transit vehicles as a SAG to get home.

Rural rides, under 25km, I carry one spare tube, over 25km and under 50km, I add a second tube, over 50km and I add a third tube. Each bike has a bag on it with a set of tire levers, and the appropriate tube. Tubes that get punctured, are repaired, in bulk, then I give the glue 24 hours to set, and pressure test the patch, if it's good, I let the air out, and repack the tube as a spare. I'll also throw in a chain breaker and some other tools on 50km+ rides.

Something else to add, is a few baby wipes in a zipper bag, then after changing a flat or re-seating a chain, you have something to get at least a partial cleanup. You can also carry a couple of pairs of disposable gloves, you can put those on to keep your hands clean while doing repair work.

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever the circumstances, it's a nice feeling to help someone out. Good for you.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Reminds me of a story. My wife and I were driving in the middle of nowhere in western Colorado and I see this cyclist, but he was going along pretty good. I always carry a cooler of water so I though I would stop and give him a bottle. I got out held the bottle out and he blew right by me. Not a word out of him. Sometimes it make you wonder.
    Years ago I dated an intercity girl. Although she was an adult woman my own age when I knew her... she still felt apprehensive if in a rural area. Her comfort level was in groups or people (crowded buildings, streets, or traffic). Meeting a stranger in an isolated area would have terrified her.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Good point. You never know a stranger's pain.

Speaking of neato tricks, this is pretty sweet:

Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    Years ago I dated an intercity girl. Although she was an adult woman my own age when I knew her... she still felt apprehensive if in a rural area. Her comfort level was in groups or people (crowded buildings, streets, or traffic). Meeting a stranger in an isolated area would have terrified her.
    I dated a woman like that who was 33 at the time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123