Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-12-14, 11:04 AM   #1
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
I'm turning into a wimp.

Seemed like a warm enough day for a ride. I drove out to the Creve Coeur trailhead by the Missouri River bridge and started out. I must have ridden around 100 yards before encountering to snow on the pedestrian deck. Not so long ago that wouldn't have bothered me but I decided I've broken too many things to risk riding through stuff like that anymore. All-in-all, I think that I spent more time deciding what clothes to wear than I spent bicycling. I'm turning into a wimp. At least my intentions were good.
Old 01-12-14, 11:09 AM   #2
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Live to ride another day....no shame in that.
Old 01-12-14, 11:15 AM   #3
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent, Cignal tandem
If your avatar is accurate, I wouldn't ride my 'bent in snow either!
MikeWMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 11:51 AM   #4
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 7
Bought a Wee house in town, so My riding for transport distances shrunk.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 03:25 PM   #5
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWMass View Post
I had my beater bike - diamond frame, 26" wheels with 2" wide tires. It's not about the bike.
Old 01-12-14, 03:50 PM   #6
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Seemed like a warm enough day for a ride. I drove out to the Creve Coeur trailhead by the Missouri River bridge and started out. I must have ridden around 100 yards before encountering to snow on the pedestrian deck. Not so long ago that wouldn't have bothered me but I decided I've broken too many things to risk riding through stuff like that anymore. All-in-all, I think that I spent more time deciding what clothes to wear than I spent bicycling. I'm turning into a wimp. At least my intentions were good.
Sounds like you're getting wiser.
longbeachgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 06:03 AM   #7
Dan Burkhart 

Bikes:
I must confess, I've wimped out so far this winter too. Last winter, my excuse was spending any free time at my dying father's bedside. This year, it's been non stop inclement weather coupled with a cold that just won't go away.
I've been doing my riding indoors at the gym, but I am still hopeful of getting some use out of my winter riding gear.
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 06:07 AM   #8
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Please be careful with a lingering cold or URI, Dan, my brother has a habit of getting these types and they tend to go into pneumonia many times. I'm sure you are careful, just don't let the macho thing get you all messed up with a serious lung scarring event.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 07:28 AM   #9
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWMass View Post
I think it depends on your bent. This 'bent just made it to the South Pole:

At some point soon, I'm going to get a tadpole trike just so I can continue to ride in winter.
cplager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 08:46 AM   #10
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
You can call me a wuss or a wimp or anything else you want to. I simply dont ride in temps below 50, and darn few times that low. OTOH I will ride when it is around 100.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 09:07 AM   #11
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
It just means you have a learning curve.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 12:14 PM   #12
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
You can call me a wuss or a wimp or anything else you want to. I simply dont ride in temps below 50, and darn few times that low. OTOH I will ride when it is around 100.
For me the cutoff is below 30 Fahrenheit. Up to that point, my layering keeps most of me toasty warm, with the exception being my eternally cold hands. Of course, snow defeats me at any temperature, since I don't have disc brakes, and even rain makes stopping an experience to remember. I'm just glad that the snow has finally melted off, so I can at least get in some errand riding. I can deal the the sloppy mess left by the snowmelt, but I was going stir-crazy from prolonged pedal-deprivation-syndrome, or PDS, as it is commonly called by me just now.
David Bierbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 02:33 PM   #13
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Live to ride another day....no shame in that.
=
+1 . Also , it takes us a lot longer to heal if we get hurt .
mapeiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 04:23 PM   #14
dbg 
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)
My ride to the train station is pretty short (2+ miles) so I can gut out just about anything --and claim I ride far below zero. If it were much longer, I'd definitely have other standards.
Old 01-13-14, 04:31 PM   #15
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Quote:
You're a wuss, a wimp, a twitpiffle and a brigand.

Actually, I didn't really want to call you any of that, but you invited us to do so, and I thought it would be rude not to act on it.
Old 01-13-14, 09:55 PM   #16
rydabent

dudel

Sticks and stones-----------------------------------

But I was a twitpiffle only once. Just wanted to let everyone know that.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-13-14 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 10:35 PM   #17
Rollfast
Not That Senior A Member

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
You're a wuss, a wimp, a twitpiffle and a brigand.

Actually, I didn't really want to call you any of that, but you invited us to do so, and I thought it would be rude not to act on it.
The Twitpiffles have carried Luton by a landslide!
Old 01-14-14, 07:24 AM   #18
tsurr

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.
Quote:
You can call me a wuss or a wimp or anything else you want to. I simply don't ride in temps below 50, and darn few times that low. OTOH I will ride when it is around 100.
I really like 50 degrees this time of year, especially if it is sunny. Did my first ride of the year on Sunday, a sunny day and around 50 degrees, a nice 32 miles of rolling countryside.
tsurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-14, 07:33 AM   #19
Dan Burkhart 

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Please be careful with a lingering cold or URI, Dan, my brother has a habit of getting these types and they tend to go into pneumonia many times. I'm sure you are careful, just don't let the macho thing get you all messed up with a serious lung scarring event.

Bill
Tell me about it. I've had pneumonia twice, one time bad enough to land me in the hospital for a week.
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-14, 08:27 AM   #20
rydabent

Since this is the 50+ crowd, I might mention that you really should look into getting a pneumonia shot. Quite often it is actually pneumonia that causes the death of older people. And ------------- on the preventative note get a colonostomy too. I have a 60 year old nephew that has colon cancer. While not really the most fun thing to do, a colonostomy can pretty much eliminate death from colon cancer.
Old 01-15-14, 09:13 AM   #21
Phil_gretz
Bike Commuter in training

Bikes: '77 Centurion Semi-Pro, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
... I drove out to the Creve Coeur trailhead by the Missouri River bridge and started out...
I thought that it started out badly. We ride to our rides, so your tale should've begun, "I opened the door, rolled my beater bike down the walkway, and lazily warmed up during my 15-mile ride to the Creve Coeur trailhead..."
Phil_gretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-14, 12:09 PM   #22
Retro Grouch 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
I thought that it started out badly. We ride to our rides, so your tale should've begun, "I opened the door, rolled my beater bike down the walkway, and lazily warmed up during my 15-mile ride to the Creve Coeur trailhead..."
Only a brigand would tell a lie like that. I'm merely a wimp and a twitpiffle.
Old 01-16-14, 01:06 PM   #23
StephenH
Uber Goober

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplager View Post
I think it depends on your bent. This 'bent just made it to the South Pole:

At some point soon, I'm going to get a tadpole trike just so I can continue to ride in winter.
With my Worksman front-loading tricycle, it is surprisingly stable on snow and ice. However, if the snow is more than a couple of inches deep, you get stuck. You just have one wheel driving, and three wheels that you have to push through the snow. IE, don't assume that any ol' trike can make it through the snow without some testing first. (On that South Pole jaunt, she may not have had a lot of fluff to ride through- I've seen it above treeline where everything was either frozen hard or blown away.)
Old 01-16-14, 01:11 PM   #24
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
With my Worksman front-loading tricycle, it is surprisingly stable on snow and ice. However, if the snow is more than a couple of inches deep, you get stuck. You just have one wheel driving, and three wheels that you have to push through the snow. IE, don't assume that any ol' trike can make it through the snow without some testing first. (On that South Pole jaunt, she may not have had a lot of fluff to ride through- I've seen it above treeline where everything was either frozen hard or blown away.)
It's my understanding that she still did have a fair amount of loose snow to go through. Fat tires help a lot by radically increasing the surface area. All that being said, there are limits...
cplager is offline   Reply With Quote