Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-13-14, 08:15 AM   #1
NOS88

Bikes:
She went down hard.

This is the second time I've seen this happen in the last several years. A young woman was riding through about 15 feet of 3 to 4 inch deep water, and didn't know there was a sheet of ice under it. Front wheel started to slide and down she went. I stopped to check on her and see if she was OK or needed assistance. She was one angry wet rider. Never recall hearing that kind of language from a woman before. No injuries on her or bike. She said she had a 12 mile ride back home and was soaking wet. I had a windbreaker in the handlebar bag, and offered it to her. Don't know if I'll see it again, but she sure needed more than I did.

So, for those of us in colder climates, watch riding through those big puddles!
Old 01-13-14, 08:28 AM   #2
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Slander. Libel. Words ya never heard in the Bible.
Old 01-13-14, 08:42 AM   #3
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
When a woman is that mad, stand way back and throw chocolate at her!!!!!
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 08:43 AM   #4
rydabent

nos88

At least you were a real gentleman and gave her your windbreaker!
Old 01-13-14, 09:01 AM   #5
seb1041

Bikes:
I never fall of my trainer.
But you're a real gentleman.
Karma will reward you. Maybe.
seb1041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 09:05 AM   #6
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
When a woman is that mad, stand way back and throw chocolate at her!!!!!
a strategy that never fails.
bruce19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 09:50 AM   #7
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes
True story - funny now. Several years ago I was riding my favorite mountain bike trail up to 4 Corners/Santa Ana Mountains. The first 3 miles are paved. It was very cold overnight and that morning in the 30's. Towards the end of the pavement is a waterfall and water spills over onto the pavement. I did not see it until I went down - black ice, slick as snot. Thankfully not hurt but had a hard time getting off the ice and dragging my bike to safety. I knew alot of other riders were behind me so I stayed and yelled out the warning "BLACK ICE - go towards the right (where sun had been shining). Riders just ignored me and one after one kept riding over the ice and slipping. Some got hurt badly. After a while of no one listening to me, I just sat down in the sun and watched the festivities; was quite hilarious there for awhile until the sun finally reached the ice patch and it could be seen - then the riders avoided it. I think maybe because in CA ice is not something we deal with much as why the riders ignored me - or they were just jerks and wouldn't listen... oh well.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 10:09 AM   #8
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
My kinda girl.
Old 01-13-14, 10:45 AM   #9
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
My kinda girl.
Pamestique or the rider NOS88 saw?
az_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 11:51 AM   #10
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
Both, actually.
Old 01-13-14, 02:22 PM   #11
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
A young woman was riding through about 15 feet of 3 to 4 inch deep water, and didn't know there was a sheet of ice under it.
Ice floats - it would be on top of the water, not under it. She must've run over something else.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 02:29 PM   #12
RPK79

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Ice floats - it would be on top of the water, not under it. She must've run over something else.
Water can cover ice if the ice is attached to the ground.
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 02:44 PM   #13
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
Water can cover ice if the ice is attached to the ground.
Bingo. This is exactly what happened. We have VERY cold weather that created a sheet of ice about three inches thick in some spots. When temps went up water run off created this mini pond over that sheet of ice. It was no longer 3 inches thick, but there was enough there to take her down.
Old 01-13-14, 02:54 PM   #14
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
There is nothing slicker than ice with a layer of water on top of it.

On a related note, between the Christmas ice storm and the 15 inches we got last week, my driveway is pretty well iced over. We had rain yesterday. Yep, I couldn't move the truck this morning. It just sat there in 1st gear, spinning the tires at an idle. I threw more salt and a half bag of kitty litter, then gingerly made my way up and over the 6" rise.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 01-13-14 at 02:59 PM.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 04:20 PM   #15
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
True story - funny now. Several years ago I was riding my favorite mountain bike trail up to 4 Corners/Santa Ana Mountains. The first 3 miles are paved. It was very cold overnight and that morning in the 30's. Towards the end of the pavement is a waterfall and water spills over onto the pavement. I did not see it until I went down - black ice, slick as snot.
Great story Pam!

I can just see you sitting there wataching and having a good laugh. Too bad you didn't have your camera with you . . . or did you?

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 04:37 PM   #16
Murray Missile 
Bike hoarder.

Bikes: Too many according to my wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Where I'm at we just went from 18 below with blowing and drifting snow to the mid 40's and rain in about 4 days and have miles and miles of country roads in low lying areas right now with 2 inches of ice covered by 2-3 inches of water from rain and snow melt. It can't drain off because of the snow drifts lining the roads. Temps are supposed to drop below freezing again so then we'll just have miles and miles of ice.
Old 01-13-14, 04:42 PM   #17
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
Pamestique or the rider NOS88 saw?
Are you kidding? A woman who mountain bikes and indulges in some good healthy schadenfreude? Pamestique FTW.
Old 01-13-14, 06:04 PM   #18
Shamrock

Bikes:
I don't think riding though water in winter is a good idea.Potholes scare me,thanks for the heads up on ice too.learning by mistakes is rough?being 12 miles away in winter she must be an experienced rider ,surprised at her judgement.kind of you to help out.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 09:53 PM   #19
rydabent

pam

You can always tell a biker, but you cant tell him much.
Old 01-14-14, 06:18 AM   #20
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Great story Pam!

I can just see you sitting there watching and having a good laugh. Too bad you didn't have your camera with you . . . or did you?

Rick / OCRR
Didn't have a camera with me (was already carrying too much with me and I've taken alot of photos of this trail already) - but a friend (we did not start out together - just coincidence she decided to ride there the same day) showed up after I fell and we both witnessed the frivolity... we still have a good laugh about it... although while watching; I did feel alittle guilty about the misfortunes of others (but just alittle).

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 01-14-14 at 06:22 AM.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-14, 06:28 AM   #21
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Points in the plus column for your kindness in giving her the windbreaker, regardless of whether you get it back, or don't. I never expect things like that back so when it happens I am pleasantly surprised that the person was thoughtful. Stopping to check on her and letting her have the jacket so she could get home a little warmer speaks well about you, NOS.

Pam, you tried and they didn't listen so they paid the price for not listening, tells us something about human nature. Just glad you weren't hurt in your fall, not that you would gripe about that, you would probably have dusted or dried your self off and kept pedaling on. An as Vic said, you are my kind of woman!

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-14, 11:22 AM   #22
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Points in the plus column for your kindness in giving her the windbreaker, regardless of whether you get it back, or don't. I never expect things like that back so when it happens I am pleasantly surprised that the person was thoughtful. Stopping to check on her and letting her have the jacket so she could get home a little warmer speaks well about you, NOS.
It sure does. That kind of kindness is one of the reasons I love cycling ... I'm often pleasantly surprised at people's generosity. Whether you get it back of not (and I'm sure you will) is almost beside the point.
Old 01-14-14, 02:56 PM   #23
Velo Fellow

Bikes:
Where I live, there's seldom ice but there are lots of cows and steers who often use the county roads as pedestrians. Often, those roads become covered in a patina of manure. The big question on a hot, not cold, day is whether or not that sometimes leathery brown patina masks a slick undercoat or is reliably dry down to the road surface. Many a rider has made the wrong assumption and gone down, not so much wet as slicked. In which case, NOS 88, you wouldn't want your windbreaker back.

Then of course, there are the roadside pasture drainage ditches. Keep in mind that cows & steers are prolific.... drink a lot of water and consume a lot of high fiber food. Etc.
Velo Fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-14, 03:02 PM   #24
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
Concrete with a thin layer of water running across it periodically......moss.
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-14, 03:09 PM   #25
RPK79

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
On my rides I mostly just have to look out for the loose gravel and sand that accumulates where the gravel roads meets the asphalt roads.
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote