Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She went down hard.

This is the second time I've seen this happen in the last several years. A young woman was riding through about 15 feet of 3 to 4 inch deep water, and didn't know there was a sheet of ice under it. Front wheel started to slide and down she went. I stopped to check on her and see if she was OK or needed assistance. She was one angry wet rider. Never recall hearing that kind of language from a woman before. No injuries on her or bike. She said she had a 12 mile ride back home and was soaking wet. I had a windbreaker in the handlebar bag, and offered it to her. Don't know if I'll see it again, but she sure needed more than I did.

So, for those of us in colder climates, watch riding through those big puddles!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Slander. Libel. Words ya never heard in the Bible.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a woman is that mad, stand way back and throw chocolate at her!!!!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nos88

At least you were a real gentleman and gave her your windbreaker!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never fall of my trainer.
    But you're a real gentleman.
    Karma will reward you. Maybe.
    "Racing is licking your opponent's plate clean before starting on your own"
    -Hennie Kuiper

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    When a woman is that mad, stand way back and throw chocolate at her!!!!!
    a strategy that never fails.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True story - funny now. Several years ago I was riding my favorite mountain bike trail up to 4 Corners/Santa Ana Mountains. The first 3 miles are paved. It was very cold overnight and that morning in the 30's. Towards the end of the pavement is a waterfall and water spills over onto the pavement. I did not see it until I went down - black ice, slick as snot. Thankfully not hurt but had a hard time getting off the ice and dragging my bike to safety. I knew alot of other riders were behind me so I stayed and yelled out the warning "BLACK ICE - go towards the right (where sun had been shining). Riders just ignored me and one after one kept riding over the ice and slipping. Some got hurt badly. After a while of no one listening to me, I just sat down in the sun and watched the festivities; was quite hilarious there for awhile until the sun finally reached the ice patch and it could be seen - then the riders avoided it. I think maybe because in CA ice is not something we deal with much as why the riders ignored me - or they were just jerks and wouldn't listen... oh well.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kinda girl.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    My kinda girl.
    Pamestique or the rider NOS88 saw?

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both, actually.
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    A young woman was riding through about 15 feet of 3 to 4 inch deep water, and didn't know there was a sheet of ice under it.
    Ice floats - it would be on top of the water, not under it. She must've run over something else.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    Ice floats - it would be on top of the water, not under it. She must've run over something else.
    Water can cover ice if the ice is attached to the ground.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Water can cover ice if the ice is attached to the ground.
    Bingo. This is exactly what happened. We have VERY cold weather that created a sheet of ice about three inches thick in some spots. When temps went up water run off created this mini pond over that sheet of ice. It was no longer 3 inches thick, but there was enough there to take her down.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing slicker than ice with a layer of water on top of it.

On a related note, between the Christmas ice storm and the 15 inches we got last week, my driveway is pretty well iced over. We had rain yesterday. Yep, I couldn't move the truck this morning. It just sat there in 1st gear, spinning the tires at an idle. I threw more salt and a half bag of kitty litter, then gingerly made my way up and over the 6" rise.
    Last edited by BlazingPedals; 01-13-14 at 01:59 PM.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    True story - funny now. Several years ago I was riding my favorite mountain bike trail up to 4 Corners/Santa Ana Mountains. The first 3 miles are paved. It was very cold overnight and that morning in the 30's. Towards the end of the pavement is a waterfall and water spills over onto the pavement. I did not see it until I went down - black ice, slick as snot.
    Great story Pam!

I can just see you sitting there wataching and having a good laugh. Too bad you didn't have your camera with you . . . or did you?

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Too many according to my wife.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    Where I'm at we just went from 18 below with blowing and drifting snow to the mid 40's and rain in about 4 days and have miles and miles of country roads in low lying areas right now with 2 inches of ice covered by 2-3 inches of water from rain and snow melt. It can't drain off because of the snow drifts lining the roads. Temps are supposed to drop below freezing again so then we'll just have miles and miles of ice.
    Analog man in a digital world.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    Pamestique or the rider NOS88 saw?
    Are you kidding? A woman who mountain bikes and indulges in some good healthy schadenfreude? Pamestique FTW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think riding though water in winter is a good idea.Potholes scare me,thanks for the heads up on ice too.learning by mistakes is rough?being 12 miles away in winter she must be an experienced rider ,surprised at her judgement.kind of you to help out.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pam

You can always tell a biker, but you cant tell him much.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Great story Pam!

I can just see you sitting there watching and having a good laugh. Too bad you didn't have your camera with you . . . or did you?

Rick / OCRR
    Didn't have a camera with me (was already carrying too much with me and I've taken alot of photos of this trail already) - but a friend (we did not start out together - just coincidence she decided to ride there the same day) showed up after I fell and we both witnessed the frivolity... we still have a good laugh about it... although while watching; I did feel alittle guilty about the misfortunes of others (but just alittle).
    Last edited by Pamestique; 01-14-14 at 05:22 AM.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points in the plus column for your kindness in giving her the windbreaker, regardless of whether you get it back, or don't. I never expect things like that back so when it happens I am pleasantly surprised that the person was thoughtful. Stopping to check on her and letting her have the jacket so she could get home a little warmer speaks well about you, NOS.

Pam, you tried and they didn't listen so they paid the price for not listening, tells us something about human nature. Just glad you weren't hurt in your fall, not that you would gripe about that, you would probably have dusted or dried your self off and kept pedaling on. An as Vic said, you are my kind of woman!

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Points in the plus column for your kindness in giving her the windbreaker, regardless of whether you get it back, or don't. I never expect things like that back so when it happens I am pleasantly surprised that the person was thoughtful. Stopping to check on her and letting her have the jacket so she could get home a little warmer speaks well about you, NOS.
    It sure does. That kind of kindness is one of the reasons I love cycling ... I'm often pleasantly surprised at people's generosity. Whether you get it back of not (and I'm sure you will) is almost beside the point.
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I live, there's seldom ice but there are lots of cows and steers who often use the county roads as pedestrians. Often, those roads become covered in a patina of manure. The big question on a hot, not cold, day is whether or not that sometimes leathery brown patina masks a slick undercoat or is reliably dry down to the road surface. Many a rider has made the wrong assumption and gone down, not so much wet as slicked. In which case, NOS 88, you wouldn't want your windbreaker back.

Then of course, there are the roadside pasture drainage ditches. Keep in mind that cows & steers are prolific.... drink a lot of water and consume a lot of high fiber food. Etc.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Concrete with a thin layer of water running across it periodically......moss.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my rides I mostly just have to look out for the loose gravel and sand that accumulates where the gravel roads meets the asphalt roads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast