User Tag List

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking add road bike to add to stable

I have a Specialized Sirrus Elite now, happy with it, but looking to add a road bike to the stable. I am looking at a Specialized Secteur, looking for opinions. Seems like a great bike for the money for me. Just want to go a bit faster, that is all. But I do like the idea of a 2nd bike.
    Thoughts?
    TIA,
    Pat
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. -Bertrand Russell

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who's going to be the first to tell him that a new bike won't make him any faster?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Who's going to be the first to tell him that a new bike won't make him any faster?
    Well, it looks like you are the 1st. I should have added that the additional riding positions are also the desired effect.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Secteur looks cool. BluesDawg is our resident Specialized man. If your back is fairly loose it looks like a good move.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guess you have a Dealer for Specialized Bikes you Like , where you live ..

out here that guy is in another town 2 hours away (driving-time) brand sales territories
    population based, are smaller in bigger cities..

Thoughts? .. spending Money is what keeps the people in bike shops fed. a little ..

it pays less than waiting tables.

Link : http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/secteur

I understand Merida is the contract builder in Taiwan that makes them

for the Specialized Brand's importer.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 01-16-14 at 11:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IT WON'T?!?
    Please, please, pullease don't tell my wife!

Any way, I got a Roubaix Apex last year. It's a very comfortable ride. The stem system that they use enables you to adjust the bar height in small increments. Other than just flipping and slamming it.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking ride and depending on the model, somewhat affordable? But it won't make you any faster. I followed the same route you are on. I had a Specialized Sirrus Comp (still have it). Wanted more of a road bike for a little more speed and comfort on longer rides. Bought a Specialized Roubaix Elite in 2009 and like it a lot, have put a lot of miles on it. Glad I bought the Roubaix but I still love the Sirrus, just seems to fit me like a glove when I do ride it. Go for it.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Secteur is a great bike. Same geometry as the Roubaix but not carbon fibre. I think you will find the transition easy as it is a relatively upright road bike. Good choice and a good performer at a reasonable price.

I would recommend the Expert if you can spring for that kind of money. 105 components are pretty nice to have, durable and reliable.
    Last edited by jdon; 01-15-14 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what you do?

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Secteur is a good bike, as said above. It would make you a nice road ride for a change up. It is well set up and had several levels of component builds to let you spend what is right for your budget. If you can swing a good deal and find one that fits correctly it would be a good choice. Don't discount an alloy Synapse Cannondale, also.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer,Trek 8.3DS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 2012 Sectuer apex which was my transition from a trek DS hybrid to road bike. Great bike, fit me right out of the box. It sits with friends for now on Maui as I'm fortunate enough to travel there twice a year for work. Had some of my finest rides ever on the Hana Highway last fall on it. I found that I'm more comfortable in the hoods position with hands parallel with the bike than on the tops in the flat bar position of the hybrid and bar ends didn't make it nearly as comfortable as the hoods position of my expanding fleet (3)of roadies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want what I don't have. I bought a new year old Sectuer Comp last summer. It is a very nice bike. Now I dream of carbon. Buy the bike, ride it and love it.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sectuer is a great bike. Before I say more, what is your budget?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    The Sectuer is a great bike. Before I say more, what is your budget?
    The budget is the biggest problem, would like to keep it at around 1k, but have not bought yet, so your honest thoughts are appreciated. If I remember correctly, you work at a Specialized dealership. (I am not a stalker, just a big time lurker on this site.)
    TIA
    Pat

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by on2wheelsks View Post
    The budget is the biggest problem, would like to keep it at around 1k, but have not bought yet, so your honest thoughts are appreciated. If I remember correctly, you work at a Specialized dealership. (I am not a stalker, just a big time lurker on this site.)
    TIA
    Pat
    Yes. Since I retired I work part time in sales and service at a bike shop selling Specialized bikes as our primary brand. I ride, sell and work on Specialized bikes.

If you are looking for a drop bar road bike around $1000, your choices from Specialized are the Sectuer and Allez. Both are great bikes with the Allez a bit lower, stiffer and tighter geometry while the Sectuer is a bit more upright, smoother and relaxed. I would try both and see how they feel.
    The Sport models are right at your price and are roughly the same level build as your Sirrus, and the Elites add a couple hundred dollars. Sport and Elite have the same frames, wheels and cranksets, with the Elite models stepping up from 9 speed Sora to 10 speed Tiagra along with slightly nicer brakes and a few other minor upgrades. While Sora is not bad, especially since they moved to 9 speed and the same shifter setup as the higher groups (losing the thumb button), Tiagra 10 speed is a significant upgrade. Along with the extra gear, you'll get slightly lighter weight, better durability and simpler upgrade options.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likewise , just the brands they sell are different , and my part time is only the busy short dry one, summer.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Yes. Since I retired I work part time in sales and service at a bike shop selling Specialized bikes as our primary brand. I ride, sell and work on Specialized bikes.

If you are looking for a drop bar road bike around $1000, your choices from Specialized are the Sectuer and Allez. Both are great bikes with the Allez a bit lower, stiffer and tighter geometry while the Sectuer is a bit more upright, smoother and relaxed. I would try both and see how they feel.
    The Sport models are right at your price and are roughly the same level build as your Sirrus, and the Elites add a couple hundred dollars. Sport and Elite have the same frames, wheels and cranksets, with the Elite models stepping up from 9 speed Sora to 10 speed Tiagra along with slightly nicer brakes and a few other minor upgrades. While Sora is not bad, especially since they moved to 9 speed and the same shifter setup as the higher groups (losing the thumb button), Tiagra 10 speed is a significant upgrade. Along with the extra gear, you'll get slightly lighter weight, better durability and simpler upgrade options.
    BluesDawg, I greatly appreciate your input, and will keep you posted on my decision. My LBS is a great group of guys, Sante Fe Trails bike shop in Leavenworth, KS. They have been helpful and patient with me returning to a sport after 45 years. Even had a free bike maintenance seminar for us newbies. They are about 22 miles from where I live also, nice ride in the good weather. Thanks again.
    Pat

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see speed listed as a concern in the first post. The Secteur will probably be a bit faster by virtue of the drop bars.

It's interesting that nobody seems to remember the latest flap, or how everyone swore to never buy another Specialized again because of it. Mike Sinyard confesses his sins, says three Hail Marys and all is forgiven (until next time?)

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    pracer2.jpgpracer5.jpgpracer8.jpg

Surly Pacer with Carbon Fork ?

$1850 with SRAM Rival group and 18 lbs for the 56cm model
    Last edited by Zinger; 01-18-14 at 09:39 PM.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of now, I am leaning towards the Sectuer Elite, but will probably have to order it. My LBS does not have one in stock.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a Secteur Elite yesterday, had to go up a size to a 61cm. I guess I am all legs. Will post pictures when I have the bike. Thanks to all that responded.
    Pat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you made a good choice. I acquired a Roubaix Comp Triple back when they were 3k+, though I didn't pay nearly that. Nice, but a boring bike to ride...I'm no convert to carbon frames. I enjoy my aluminum Tricross just fine, and my other steel bikes. I know it's heresy, but I'm hanging with the 'price goes up/marginal value goes down' crowd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by on2wheelsks View Post
    I ordered a Secteur Elite yesterday, had to go up a size to a 61cm.
    Nice looking ride!

I have a little over 5,000 miles on the Tiagra shifters and derailleurs on one of my road bikes. They work well.

You'll enjoy having a second bike. If one has to go to the shop, no problem, you're not down for the count.

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really? Two bikes should be twice as fast, no?
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll read any thread with "stable" in the title. where are the pics?

My Bikes
    '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you bought your bike yet? i'm in the works of getting my sectuer now. i went in looking at the allez, but stressed that i wanted a carbon fork. had to move up a couple models to get that fork with the allezm but the dealer told me the entry level sectuer now comes with a carbon fork. and at $800, it's about $200 cheaper than the allez with the carbon fork. the ellez's frame is more race aggressive, but i was looking for more of a rec/commute bike, so the sectuer was actually a better fit.