Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lipitor and legs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Lipitor and legs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 10:38 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took lipitor for several years and never had issues with leg pain or with my liver. I have not taken any statins for the past 2 years. So far my cholesterol has been fine.
Old 01-17-14, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Taking fish oil supplements shouldn't be taken lightly. Everything has consequences and the production of fish oil comes with serious environmental issues. I won't take fish oil for these reasons. That's not a decision I expect everyone to make but I think most people reading here would at least consider the issues before deciding.
https://www.pennelements.com/menhaden...-big-problems/
https://savemenhaden.wordpress.com/
Old 01-17-14, 08:56 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to you all for posting this. Since starting lipitor years ago to control my cholesterol I have always felt that my muscle strength and endurance was down. After reading here, I did follow some of the links here that point point our how this may be connected, so maybe I will try CoQ10, after I discuss it with my physician. I imagine, like Doc Martin, he will tell me I'm and idiot and that I get all the CoQ I need from eating meat.
Old 01-17-14, 09:14 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
To get back to the OP's original point... As many have pointed out, some people can tolerate Lipitor and some can't. A cardiologist will recommend Co-Q10 for muscle soreness or switch brands. However, some people will not be able to take statins, period.
Old 01-18-14, 07:24 AM

Bikes: Trek 8.5 DS, Trek 7900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been on low dose statins for over 10 years due to high cholesterol and genetic heart disease on my mothers side. Dr. recommended I go on them way back when and get blood work done annually. Blood pressure great, no significant muscle pain but restless leg is prevalent. Would like to eliminate them completely---my question is, what is the best way to do this? I assume it would be to wean myself off over time and get more regular blood tests to see the effect on cholesterol.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-18-14, 09:48 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
After having severe reactions to statins, my Doctor suggested fish oil and red yeast rice. Both over the counter, and relatively inexpensive..

My cholesterol is better than it has ever been, and liver and kidney issues are back to "normal"...... whatever that is
Old 01-18-14, 10:20 AM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Piratebike
For those if you on Lipitor or some other staten, does it make your legs hurt? Like wrestless leg syndrome?
No, I have been on a couple of statins, one was lipitor, with no issues like that. You should get it checked out.
Old 01-18-14, 11:50 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike M
-my question is, what is the best way to do this? I assume it would be to wean myself off over time and get more regular blood tests to see the effect on cholesterol.
Yes,that would be the best approach ---- in general.

But specific medical answers call for specific knowledge, so the place to start is your doctor, and ask him for guidelines about how safe it would be to try, and if going ahead the rate of drawdown, and frequency of testing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-18-14, 11:59 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Our physician will not prescribe stains unless you have hyper-lipidosis or really significant risk factors.

My lipid panels are all within norms and I have a low triglycerides and a high HDL... I attribute this to good genes and bacon.
Old 01-18-14, 12:52 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had all kinds of aches with Lipitor. But Simvastatin gives me no problems.
Old 01-18-14, 02:06 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Never had issues with Lipitor. I'm on Vytorin10/20 now, Zetia(estimibe)+Zocor(simvistatin). The Zetia allows you to be on a lower dose of statin as it blocks the absorption of cholesterol from food. I used to be on 10/40 Vytorin, but cycling made it so I can now use 10/20. I'm also diabetic which lowers the threshold number for considering cholesterol medications. If I weren't diabetic, plus a family history of heart disease, I wouldn't be prescribed meds for my levels.
Old 01-18-14, 09:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on statins since 2007. (Crestor) I've noticed that occasionally I get what must be 'restless leg syndrome' when trying to sleep. Very rarely, and no pain that I can determine. I have been off Lipitor for a number of years now.

FM

Last edited by Fredmeister; 01-18-14 at 09:05 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-18-14, 09:19 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Statins are a grossly over proscribed big pharma boondoggle. I was on them due to "hi cholesterol" (just over 200) but the problems it caused was not worth it. So I started to look for alternatives.

While statins do have a valid use for a very small, specific population of people post heart attack, they are given out like candy to most people who don't need them. Cholesterol does not cause coronary disease anymore than firemen cause fires.

The real culprit is inflammation caused by poor diet and food additives. It is what leads to all the things that cause modern chronic desease: diabetes, many cancers, heart disease, and many other aches, pains, and stiffness.

You are far better off modifying you diet to eliminate most carbohydrates and eating more good quality fats. Check out LCHF, Paleo, Mediterranean diet, or NSNG (no sugar, no grain). You won't regret it. You will loose weight, fell much better, be stronger, lower you BP and cholesterol.
Old 01-19-14, 06:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading this post I starting buzzing around Google and found several articles on the subject, including this one:
https://healthyliving.msn.com/disease...-1?OCID=MSNNWS

It says that if you experience leg pain after starting a statin, you should talk to your doctor right away, as there may be other issues at play.
Old 02-09-14, 04:37 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
It is interesting how different people react to the statin debate. Many seem to be trying to find something that will help them manage the symptoms so they can keep taking it to reduce cholesterol levels. I never had noticeable adverse symptoms but the more I read about statins, the more I worried that the potential hidden negatives far outweighed the clearly demonstrated but very limited benefits thus I quit them. A marginal reduction in CHV events, coupled with no change or even an increase in overall mortality, coupled with possible disruption of an essential metabolic component (cholesterol) doesn't get me pumped up to take them. Different strokes...
Old 02-09-14, 05:03 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by donheff
It is interesting how different people react to the statin debate. Many seem to be trying to find something that will help them manage the symptoms so they can keep taking it to reduce cholesterol levels. ....
I think statins are subject to the same analysis as any other drug. Most have known and probably unknown negative side effects and are best avoided. OTOH, many have benefits (subject to debate as to degree), and some people benefit greatly.

Ideally we should all find a way to be healthy while drug free, if for other reason than to save a ton of dough, but that's not always possible.

Personally, I was very surprised by the new NIH standards whereby more people are candidates, but will not be surprised if a few years down the line, the same NIH reviews the data and finds that overall statins do little to prolong life.

My advice to friends whose doctors put them on statins (or any other drugs) is take them if necessary while looking for ways to make them unnecessary.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-10-14, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Was on a statin, within weeks my max lifts dropped significantly. Like 2 years worth of progress lost in a month.

I'm off them now.

Total is low, but some troublesome small particle size levels.

Will look into the Red rice.
Old 02-10-14, 09:47 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Simvastatin caused me severe muscle weakness. So bad, that I couldn't hold a catsup bottle! Stopped them, and immediately started to improve. Never got it all back.

My doctor has since put me on fish oil, and red yeast ice, which is controlling cholesterol better than the statin ever did.
Old 02-10-14, 09:49 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Simvastatin caused me severe muscle weakness. So bad, that I couldn't hold a catsup bottle! Stopped them, and immediately started to improve. Never got it all back.

My doctor has since put me on fish oil, and red yeast rice, which is controlling cholesterol better than the statin ever did.
Old 02-10-14, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wanderer

My doctor has since put me on fish oil, and red yeast rice, which is controlling cholesterol better than the statin ever did.
You do understand that red yeast rice contains a natural statin.

Not saying you should change, because nothing succeeds like success, just reminding others that the various drugs and natural treatments work differently indifferent people so they should experiment to find the most benefit with the least (or no) side effects, and (if possible) try to eliminate dependence on drugs, including natural drugs.

Old 02-10-14, 10:26 AM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I was put on Lipitor after a MI in 2008. Previously had been on no meds at all. Now my "cocktail" includes Statin. Beta Blocker, ACE inhibitor, ASA, anticoagulant. As far as the liver damage thing goes, that has been closely monitored with blood work ever since, and no issues have showed up so far. Was put on Simvastatin in '10 for cost reasons at my request. Since '08 I have lost 65 lb. Last year put 3800 mi on the bikes. Middle of last year had the statin and beta blocker dose cut in half. My goal is to get off it completely. Currently taking B-complex, planning on starting CoQ10 real soon.
Old 02-10-14, 10:32 AM
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yes, there are many very good studies:
For statin-takers:
Impact of coenzyme Q-10 on parameters of cardiorespiratory fitness and muscle performance in older athletes taking statins.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23306418

For the rest of us geezers:
https://www.naturalathleteclinic.com/...hletes-use-it/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?...C+Siebrecht+SC.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19644406
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14695924
and this long, systematic review of the chemistry, etc., with pages of study links:
https://www.hammernutrition.com/downloads/coQ10.pdf
Good study-I see the 1st one was done by a guy at Ochsner-in league with an Aussie-I wonder exactly where the test subjects were?
Not that there is any particular difference between NOLA and Aussie aging jocks.

Well-the study sure seems to IMPLY- that statins-do impair muscle function??
If they didn't then why the better function on Q-10?
Maybe some non statin old jocks need to be tested on Q-10??

I take a smallish dose-20-30mg once a week of lipitor
It SURE seems to "make me foggy-tired-ish" and I have muscle cramps-first time in 45 years-funny foot cramps and typical calf cramps
Yeah I take 200mg/d of Q-10
Sure hope this St%^ is doing me some good-get me to medicare(2 years and a month)
Yeah wife takes lipitor-tiny 7mg/d dose now-she was put on 80mg-but complained of severe weakness and fatigue-dropped it to 40mg- and after 4 months she literally couldn't get up after doing some gardening-so dropped to 7 mg(accurate reloading balance-hack up an 80mg tablet)
After many months on just 7mg-her lipids TC 151vs 142 LDL 89 vs 82 HDL 45 vs 47 not very much different-certainly
Her docs insisted on the retesting-were pissed-a bit-that she dropped (of course she told them she was getting 40 mg not 7 mg-sorta' an accident not intentional lie)
In any case I sure hope they are doing some good-studies say they are-but improvements not so dramatic-but since they are the ONLY drug that somewhat reverses atherosclerosis-so..... they are pushed since they are about it in respect to undoing atherosclerosis-decreasing stenosis-a little
Old 02-10-14, 12:45 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Originally Posted by FBinNY
You do understand that red yeast rice contains a natural statin.

Not saying you should change, because nothing succeeds like success, just reminding others that the various drugs and natural treatments work differently indifferent people so they should experiment to find the most benefit with the least (or no) side effects, and (if possible) try to eliminate dependence on drugs, including natural drugs.
To quote my Doctor - "the natural statins in red yeast rice are not the same as the synthesized ones, and the dose is exceptionally smaller"
Old 02-10-14, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wanderer
To quote my Doctor - "the natural statins in red yeast rice are not the same as the synthesized ones, and the dose is exceptionally smaller"
As I said, whatever works.

Old 02-10-14, 02:09 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just got my first blood panel results back since I've started cycling and working out at the gym again. My cholesterol, HDL/LDL, and triglyceride levels were the best they've been in years. This exercise stuff does work!

That said, I'm still on Crestor and had a bad case of restless leg and pain the other night. I realized that I had drank way more caffeine than usual that day. 500mg of Tylenol made it go away. I remembered that when I was on Lipitor I had to watch my caffeine intake during the day to prevent painful restless leg at night. I don't know if anyone else has noticed a link between statins, caffeine, and restless leg.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.