Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It CAN be done..no more blood pressure meds!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Woo hoo! I've gotten my weight below 180# from 222# and have held it since before Christmas. I saw my doctor for another reason but mentioned getting light headed whenever I stood up. He suggested a week of morning and evening readings. I did and found it was regularly down to 60 plus or minus 1 over roughly 115 straight through. To top it off when he took it, despite my usual 'white coat syndrome' BP reading the diastolic was 60. I asked if we could reduce the dosage and he said to stop completely. I figured this was something I would have to live with for the remainder of my days.

Truth be told I have been riding my trainer religiously ever since the weather turned cold. I bought a Kurt Kinetics along with the Trek FX 7.6 and it turned out to be a great decision. I'm shooting for 1000 calories per ride and have put almost 300 miles on it since the start of the year. I alternate with the Elliptic whenever the knees get sensitive; I have another 116 miles on it this year.

We're in the coldest week of the year here in Washington DC and face at least another week near 0 f overnight for another week. I really want to get out and ride, but I've rigged up a nice little station in the basement. I have a monitor hooked up to my HT system's mini computer and am watching the replay of the Tour Down Under while I ride. Funny how my cadence rises as the end of the race nears!

Rich
Old 01-24-14, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Good for you! Unfortunately, HBP isn't always controllable by exercise, diet and dropping weight. Even when I had 5% body fat, eating super healthy, and riding 200 mi. per wk., it didn't make a dent in my BP. But, you don't know until you try!
Old 01-24-14, 07:36 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Well done Rich, on the BP and getting off the medications as well as your weight loss. Keeping up the trainer use is probably the hardest thing I could attempt. Glad to have you post here again.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-24-14, 08:24 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sounds like meds had you down even lower than is good. Off the meds you may be able to ramp up the exercise yet another notch! Congratulations!

I don't do blood pressure meds or statins and am hanging in with pretty good readings.

Don in Austin
Old 01-25-14, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on improving your health, your doing great!!

FYI - On the light headiness, I had the same problem last summer. Turns out I wasn't hydrating enough and my blood volume dropped. My normal heart rate is around 70 bpm and dropped to mid 50's. On several occasions getting up from sitting down, I would momentarily feel light headed. Outside after turning the faucet off, I almost blacked out. Got the hydration in-control and the problems went away.
Old 01-25-14, 04:16 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, .. Novara 2013 Madrona 29'er, Trek 520 2012, Surly Pugsley fatbike 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish
Congratulations on improving your health, your doing great!!

FYI - On the light headiness, I had the same problem last summer. Turns out I wasn't hydrating enough and my blood volume dropped. My normal heart rate is around 70 bpm and dropped to mid 50's. On several occasions getting up from sitting down, I would momentarily feel light headed. Outside after turning the faucet off, I almost blacked out. Got the hydration in-control and the problems went away.
You really need to hydrate .. drink water before going to bed which is very good for the heart.
Old 01-25-14, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Super Job! In my case, I'm only on a mild, low-dose BP med to protect my kidneys since I'm diabetic. If I weren't diabetic, I wouldn't need the pills.
Old 01-25-14, 08:07 AM
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
Woo hoo! I've gotten my weight below 180# from 222# and have held it since before Christmas. I saw my doctor for another reason but mentioned getting light headed whenever I stood up. He suggested a week of morning and evening readings. I did and found it was regularly down to 60 plus or minus 1 over roughly 115 straight through. To top it off when he took it, despite my usual 'white coat syndrome' BP reading the diastolic was 60. I asked if we could reduce the dosage and he said to stop completely. I figured this was something I would have to live with for the remainder of my days.

Truth be told I have been riding my trainer religiously ever since the weather turned cold. I bought a Kurt Kinetics along with the Trek FX 7.6 and it turned out to be a great decision. I'm shooting for 1000 calories per ride and have put almost 300 miles on it since the start of the year. I alternate with the Elliptic whenever the knees get sensitive; I have another 116 miles on it this year.

We're in the coldest week of the year here in Washington DC and face at least another week near 0 f overnight for another week. I really want to get out and ride, but I've rigged up a nice little station in the basement. I have a monitor hooked up to my HT system's mini computer and am watching the replay of the Tour Down Under while I ride. Funny how my cadence rises as the end of the race nears!

Rich
Great!! Which meds were you on? Lisinopril Beta blocker- if you were on a beta blocker you might notice a boost in upper end performance.
Wish I could lose 30 lbs-but my BP was high when I was 30 lbs lighter-guessing it would still be high if I lost weight-lisinopril doesn't bother me much-maybe sneezing maybe runny nose-but no big deal.
It is dreary-wake up 4:50am-literally my first waking moment I open my drawer-open lisinopril bottle-and take a 1/2 a 40mg-every day-first conscious action.

Great job-40 lbs!
PS Yes I am jealous-if I could dump my med I would lord it over you guys-I would be insufferable!!

Last edited by phoebeisis; 01-25-14 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-25-14, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Super Job! In my case, I'm only on a mild, low-dose BP med to protect my kidneys since I'm diabetic. If I weren't diabetic, I wouldn't need the pills.
i am on the same boat (or is that bike) as you are. Because of diabetes , My doc put me on a low-dose BP med to protect the old kidneys.

Bikey, are you doing the LB TdC this year? For several years have done the 100 miler version, but while I love the first 60+ miles of the ride, I hate the last 40 windfest through the surrounding neighborhoods. This year I may just do the Metric Century. Are you also doing the SB TdC?

to the OP...congrats on a great job of losing weight and lowering your BP.
Old 01-25-14, 09:21 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Bikey, are you doing the LB TdC this year? For several years have done the 100 miler version, but while I love the first 60+ miles of the ride, I hate the last 40 windfest through the surrounding neighborhoods. This year I may just do the Metric Century. Are you also doing the SB TdC?
Unfortunately, I'm not. TdC increased the amount needed to raise as a minimum which I paid most out of my own pocket last year and money is tight this time--had a couple of unforeseen expenses. Also, because of the toe still flaring up when chilly or cold, I'm staying out of the temps below 46 which makes riding outside at 0400 or so impossible. On days above 46, and not having a sub job or other obligation, I get out--last Monday I did 40 miles. I'm on the trainer most of the time and not often enough. I don't think I could get enough training in to be ready to do a century, or maybe even a metric in addition with tight finances.

==============================================================================================

Again, bravo to the OP
Old 01-25-14, 12:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Great!! Which meds were you on? Lisinopril Beta blocker- if you were on a beta blocker you might notice a boost in upper end performance.
Wish I could lose 30 lbs-but my BP was high when I was 30 lbs lighter-guessing it would still be high if I lost weight-lisinopril doesn't bother me much-maybe sneezing maybe runny nose-but no big deal.
It is dreary-wake up 4:50am-literally my first waking moment I open my drawer-open lisinopril bottle-and take a 1/2 a 40mg-every day-first conscious action.

Great job-40 lbs!
PS Yes I am jealous-if I could dump my med I would lord it over you guys-I would be insufferable!!
I was using Benicar, an arterial relaxant, 40mg which was increased from 20mg three years ago. I suspect the BP reduction was possible because this medication doesn't mess with the chemistry of heart rhythms.

Rich
Old 01-25-14, 12:42 PM
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rich
Thanks
I am still jealous-with my lisinopril-aspirin-statin-hydrochlorothiazide-
and my 30-35 lbs of "stored energy that will save me during the coming famine"
Charlie
Old 01-25-14, 01:04 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Congrats!

My goal for this coming year is to get myself off BP meds. I'm taking a three-med-cocktail to get my diastolic below 100. The systolic is rarely above 130. go figure. I hope that if I can shed the 50+ pounds I need to lose, it will take care of itself. Not being able to do even moderate aerobic exercise for the past two and a half years has caused my weight to balloon! I GOTTA get this neck issue straightened out so I can ride!!!!
Old 01-26-14, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job hopefully one day I can say the same.

Trek 930
1988 Cannondale ST400
Old 01-27-14, 06:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! I was able to go off BP meds when I lost about 30 pounds. But, of course, the weight gradually came back and I got back on the BP meds again. Keep the weight off and you should be good.
Old 01-27-14, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson

Rich

Good for you, keep it up and enjoy yourself.
Old 01-27-14, 01:42 PM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Thumbs up!!
Old 01-27-14, 03:14 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Good job. I have had my statins and beta blockers cut in half.
Old 01-28-14, 11:40 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job. Losing weight and getting in shape a few years ago got me off blood pressure meds except for my beta blocker. Wish I could lose that, but does not look like it will happen. Oh yea, got off those damn statins too!
Old 01-28-14, 11:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Good job. I have had my statins and beta blockers cut in half.
That's great. I see by the many comments I was fortunate to be able to accomplish as it doesn't appear that exercise and weight loss alone guarantee med freedom.

Rich
Old 01-28-14, 11:52 AM

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Excellent work!

I'm hoping to replicate as I don't tolerate the BP meds all that well. I'm on Losacar now as it is supposed to help w/ gout.

Hints and tips are much appreciated.

Currently doing modified intervals.