User Tag List

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mystery: Bike frame full of sand

Picked up a SS frame at local swap meet (Chicago burb, Harper College). It had plenty of rust spots that looked mostly surface and the guy offered for $10. For that I can play with it or toss it, so I bought. It seemed quite heavy. It was labelled 6066 aluminum -- which was clearly wrong since the rust was definitely steel. (Since looked it up as a bikesdirect Motebecane Fantom Cross UNO -white)

The mystery part: As I carried it around, a little bit of rust seemed to be falling out of the seat tube hole. At home I was able to shake out a lot more --but it did not look like rust. It looked more like very fine sand. Not red but tan/yellow like sand. I cleared out all the vent holes and interior holes between tubes and gently tapped the frame with a rubber mallet. Sand continued to pour out of all the holes. Several pounds of sand poured continuously from all the holes. I'm pretty sure it was sand. Some had a little bit of red color but mostly pure sand color and very fine grained. Fine enough to pour continuously from the tiny holes at the far end of the chain stays. Weird.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blasting media?

My Bikes
    1950's-60's Ross Deluxe, 1968 Schwinn custom, 1983 Peugeot P8, 1985 Peugeot PH501, 1986 Raleigh Grand Prix custom, 1991 Maruishi RX-7, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1992 Trek 950 custom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That bike sounds like it was buried in sand or dirt at one time.

My Bikes
    1945 ScwhinnDX, 1950s Lazzeretti 1969 Kessel Eddy Merckx 1970 Atala road 1971 Batavus Mixte 1972 Torpado 1991 Bianchi Meta mtb 2005Feltsr71 2013Dynamic tempo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2-3-12 042.jpgMaybe Its a fish tale! sand hawa crazy.
    Last edited by Italiansteel; 01-25-14 at 04:11 PM. Reason: miss spellin

My Bikes
    1950's-60's Ross Deluxe, 1968 Schwinn custom, 1983 Peugeot P8, 1985 Peugeot PH501, 1986 Raleigh Grand Prix custom, 1991 Maruishi RX-7, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1992 Trek 950 custom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that just sucks Italiansteel...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone gave me a bike that had been submerged during hurricane Sandy. I cleaned sand out of every joint and bearing but not that much.
    A ride on a bike is not a walk in the park

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like one of two things:

A college practical joke where someone bought a BD bike, bragged about it, and someone filled it up with sand to weigh it down.

Or

Check the seatpost. If it is open at the top, it might be that the bike has been ridden on sanded roads or a beach and the rear wheel has thrown up grit which has made its way through that hole at the top. This is the unlikely scenario.

I doubt that the frames produced by the factory for BD would be sandblasted.

Lucky that the BB is a sealed cartridge.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously a former professional bike. They added ballast to it to get it to the weight limit.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a bare frame. Clumps of sand came out of the seat tube. The weirdest part to me was how the seat stays and chain stays were loaded with fine grain sand that just poured from the small holes. I'm still getting it to pour out as I take pipe cleaners and ream out all the internal connecting holes from the BB area. It would be tedious to do this intentionally. I'm suspecting bare frame was left on a beach in the surf.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    I'm suspecting bare frame was left on a beach in the surf.
    This ☝

I would get a gallon of kerosine and mix it with straight 30weight and fill the frame with it from different places, shake it around, let it drain.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Know any body with an air compressor? I'm thinking you could blow it out clean.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, 72 Super Sport
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing the bike was left near a 6 year old's sandbox.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep that sand!That may be a high quality very rare sand only found on a island in the South Pacific .It was smuggled out in bike frames.Some how this one frame was lost in shipment.Think I'm kidding?My friend's law firm investigated a cargo stolen in transit.They found sand in the crates that held what they thought was widgets.they analyzed the sand and determined where the cargo switch was made.The sand was rare and only found in a small part of the world.They caught the airline employees who stole the goods.As a bonus,the sand in the crates was worth more than the widgets.

My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it was submerged in a river or stream for a while. The moving water carrying fine sand and silt could have deposited it inside the frame.

That story about the rare sand from an island in the south Pacific is quite interesting. Forensic geology. Is there any internet link to this type of story?
    Gunnar Sport
    Specialized Ruby
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX
    Jamis Dragon

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UCI did set a Minimum weight regulation for race Bikes ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
    Maybe it was submerged in a river or stream for a while. The moving water carrying fine sand and silt could have deposited it inside the frame.

That story about the rare sand from an island in the south Pacific is quite interesting. Forensic geology. Is there any internet link to this type of story?
    sorry no internet link.This was told to me by the lawyer in charge after I asked him what do you really do at work besides foreclose on little old lady's.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird indeed! However, if you suspect that it was submersed in salt water at some time, be very careful: some years ago, my son's steel Peugeot road bike blew into the dock at our marina. I managed to fish it out of 13ft of water, thoroughly washed it with fresh water and squirted WD40 into everywhere and everything I could reach. The bike hung unused in our garage for a couple of years, then one day I decided to take it down, got hold of the top tube and it crumbled in my hand! It was rusted completely through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it with a grain of salt, for $10, I'd throw it out as not being worth the effort. May never be right.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)