Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    I'm north of the 45th here in Michigan. We have this thing called lake effect snow where the forecast may call for 1" and we wake up to 1 FOOT. I've been snowblowing the drive most every day since Christmas.
    My old man grew up at the western end of the UP, just five miles from Lake Superior that rarely freezes so he knew full well about 'lake effect' snow. There they don't bother recording inches - just FEET. 30-40' in an average Winter up there... He has pictures from the 1930s of snow twice the height of a railroad engine. They used a rotary snowblower to keep the tracks clear and blew the snow straight up, making a 'canyon' 30feet deep where the tracks were...
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Send some of that snow over here!
    My parents just took a vacation in Palm Springs to get away from the cold and snow in Denver - they loved it so much they're talking about moving there. I had to remind them that it gets a mite warm in the summer.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    What were you riding BD?
    Monster Cross

IMG_4523.jpg
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I just had to get out in it for a little bit.

Kewl as always, Bennie.

May I suggest you use as a sound track, "Baby, it's cold outside".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Disclaimer: I say snow and cold, this isn't to imply that our situation compares with the conditions in midwest and northeast! It is probably about 1/2" of snow but it is really iced over with the continued cold temps at 25F right now keeping it icy and slick everywhere.
    Stayed right at freezing all day in Tallahassee. A little frozen rain, but mostly just cold rain. My truck has a sheet of ice on it, but the roads are warm enough not to freeze over. Although I'd expect there are a few nasty bridges and overpasses. Didn't drive far enough to find out.

I was planning on a birthday ride today, but it would have been too nasty even if it were 20 degrees warmer. Ended up having the day off anyway as they closed everything down today as a precaution.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had to get out in it for a little bit.
    I thought only Yankees enjoyed riding in this kind of weather... :-)
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-29-14 at 05:58 PM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I thought only Yankees enjoyed riding in this kind of weather...
    I have always enjoyed getting out in the snow...every three or four years when we see it around here. If it happened more often I think it would get old very quickly.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want a refund on yesterday and today, it isn't supposed to snow here nor are the roads supposed to be iced over.
    That's what you Floridians get for taunting us with those 70F posts! It got up to 13F here today, so I was able to walk around without my ear muffs.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always enjoyed getting out in the snow...every three or four years when we see it around here. If it happened more often I think it would get old very quickly.
    I think it became old many years ago

My Bikes
    89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only been in the low 70s at my elevation, with lows in upper 50s. But we have no heat / no insulation so when it's 58 outside it isn't that much warmer inside. Rain and wind last few days. Surf's been up (over 50 foot last week) but with the wind it is blown out. (Not a surfer and don't have interest in getting in all the traffic and tourists trying to get to the north shore to check it out.) I will ride up to Haleiwa and back but not trying to mix it up with all the cars trying to get to Waimea / Sunset / Pipeline.

scott s.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    That's what you Floridians get for taunting us with those 70F posts! It got up to 13F here today, so I was able to walk around without my ear muffs.
    I thought about that, BP, it came to mind real quick when it was sleeting and the temps were dropping early Tuesday. I take back every snarky post and remark, I'll do penance of as as many Hail Eddys as necessary if y'all won't do this to us again. Even walking is a chore when the thaw from yesterday afternoon froze in to sheets of ice this morning. Riding is on the schedule for this afternoon, supposed to be in the mid 40's by noon time.

Hopefully everyone elsewhere is okay, we were lucky as far as damage or closings were concerned. The local officials played it safe and acted way ahead of time to do things smart and not at the last minute. I am grateful for the warm home and no injuries or losses for us, too.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about that, BP, it came to mind real quick when it was sleeting and the temps were dropping early Tuesday. I take back every snarky post and remark, I'll do penance of as as many Hail Eddys as necessary if y'all won't do this to us again. ...
    LOL Hail Eddys! I'm not sure I even want credit, because sending that cold stormy stuff to you means us getting the stuff that was meant for northern Hudson Bay. But, just as there's a Flat Fairie(tm), there's also a Sleet Fairie(tm). Anybody who posts, "I don't know why y'all don't like winter -- it's a perfect 85 F here!" will surely incur her wrath and doom us all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monster Cross

IMG_4523.jpg
    Thanks. I just love the names we give to bikes. "Monster Cross" says it all.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oxtc View Post

Anyone on the east coast want to borrow an indoor trainer?
    No thanks, I already have 36 hours(!) on the one I have... this month.
    Only 60 hours since 10 Dec.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snow in the panhandle! Are you guys sure you are part of Florida? It's been a bit chilly here but it was raining all day yesterday and it doesn't look as if it is going to be any better today. It's currently 45 with not much wind so it's very rideable weather if it wasn't for the rain. Tomorrow should be back in the 70's and Saturday in the low 80's. Bill, you should move a bit further south into the real Florida.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Thanks. I just love the names we give to bikes. "Monster Cross" says it all.
    "Monster Cross" is the name Mike Varney at Black Mountain Cycles gave the model when he designed it. I call him "Levon".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    LOL Hail Eddys! I'm not sure I even want credit, because sending that cold stormy stuff to you means us getting the stuff that was meant for northern Hudson Bay. But, just as there's a Flat Fairie(tm), there's also a Sleet Fairie(tm). Anybody who posts, "I don't know why y'all don't like winter -- it's a perfect 85 F here!" will surely incur her wrath and doom us all.
    I met BP in Michigan on the Third Annual Fifty-Plus Ride, but didn't know his first name. Are you sure that qcpmsame (Bill) is not referring to "Hail Eddy Mercxk"?

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want a refund on yesterday and today, it isn't supposed to snow here nor are the roads supposed to be iced over. At least we aren't as bad off as Atlanta with the entire road system becoming a parking lot when they dismissed all the schools and closed the offices at the same time dumping everyone on to the roads at the time the ice was forming and the snow was falling. Still locked in place this morning, the news shows are having the usual over reaction and are busy blaming anyone they can get on the phone to badger. I am now looking at the first 2 days in a row without riding in several months. Withdrawals are setting in now.

Bill, the glum one.
    Just finally reading about the problems in Atlanta. Yikes.

The same thing happened in Portland, Oregon some time ago, and it paralyzed the entire city ... a city in which snow is not all that uncommon and one with a very good transportation infrastructure. People just walked out of their cars and abandoned them on the interstate. I was lucky enough to be in that mess ... took us 2 hours to travel about 3 blocks before we wised up and turned around.

The result was a lot of finger pointing ... I don't know if any good came of it.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Lover of Old Chrome Moly Myosmith's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been averaging a blizzard a week and the next 10 days are all expected to be in the single digits F or below. I'll be going riding today as the winds are actually under 20 mph for a change and the wind chill is only about -20. Sorry, not much sympathy for Floridians who had to put up with two whole days of what we call November or March.
    Lead, follow or get out of the way

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I think it became old many years ago
    Kitty agrees

Cat.jpg

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    I met BP in Michigan on the Third Annual Fifty-Plus Ride, but didn't know his first name. Are you sure that qcpmsame (Bill) is not referring to "Hail Eddy Mercxk"?
    I'm pretty sure he was referring to Eddy Mercxk, patron saint of roadies. I'm a "John." Bill promised to shape up if "y'all don't do this to us again." I was jut trying to make the point that Bill should say his Act of Contrition to the Sleet Fairie(tm), not us.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, no I wasn't offering up Roadie prayers to BP/John, it was Eddy Merckx.

The grocery store shelves are pretty thin right now, I-10 was closed until just after noon yesterday and no trucks could get through. Those already on the road that were to come through NW Florida were stuck, they lined both sides of the roadway and filled every parking lot along the highway until the FDOT opened the roads. Due to the bridges icing and no spreaders other than plain dump trucks I-10 was closed from the Alabama line over east to Holmes County and a lot of the other roads around here stayed closed from icing so there weren't alternate routes. No mail could get through until these roads opened either. We are just not set up for this icing of the roads or anything else.

The most surprising thing was the lack of idiots out driving just so they could say they did or could, really very few accidents and abandoned vehicles here. The various governmental entities had already shut things down ahead of time, schools were closed on Tuesday and stayed closed until today. The Navy and Air Force installations also closed to all but essential personnel and suspended flight ops. Most business closed ahead of time so there wasn't a lot of getting home traffic to stall. This is a small town with a fraction of the city's populations so the Interstate and US highways aren't nearly as busy. Everyone pretty much came through safe and unharmed, thankfully.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-31-14 at 05:32 AM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we go again in Chicago;

…*WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON…*

<snip>

* ACCUMULATIONS…*SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW AND OR ICE ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE ENTIRE WATCH AREA. SOME LOCATIONS COULD SEE SNOWFALL OF 6 OR MORE INCHES…*WHILE SOME OTHER LOCATIONS COULD SEE SOME ICE ACCUMULATIONS.

* IMPACTS…*ACCUMULATING SNOW AND ICE WILL LIKELY RESULT IN HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. TRAVEL THROUGH AND TO CHICAGO O'HARE AND MIDWAY AIRPORTS COULD ALSO BE SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTED

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Atlanta in the early 80s to attend a tech school. They got an inch or 2 of freezing rain with a little snow on top. There were in excess of 100,000 cars stuck on just the interstate system. People down there just dont know how to drive on slick roads. I sure it would be even worse in Fla.

BTW in my opinion Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb should be canceled due to lack of interest1

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast