Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

This isn't supposed to happen here.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-29-14, 09:14 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

I want a refund on yesterday and today, it isn't supposed to snow here nor are the roads supposed to be iced over. At least we aren't as bad off as Atlanta with the entire road system becoming a parking lot when they dismissed all the schools and closed the offices at the same time dumping everyone on to the roads at the time the ice was forming and the snow was falling. Still locked in place this morning, the news shows are having the usual over reaction and are busy blaming anyone they can get on the phone to badger. I am now looking at the first 2 days in a row without riding in several months. Withdrawals are setting in now.

Bill, the glum one.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-29-14, 09:24 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Send some of that snow over here!

Old 01-29-14, 09:30 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I want a refund on yesterday and today, it isn't supposed to snow here nor are the roads supposed to be iced over. At least we aren't as bad off as Atlanta with the entire road system becoming a parking lot when they dismissed all the schools and closed the offices at the same time dumping everyone on to the roads at the time the ice was forming and the snow was falling. Still locked in place this morning, the news shows are having the usual over reaction and are busy blaming anyone they can get on the phone to badger. I am now looking at the first 2 days in a row without riding in several months. Withdrawals are setting in now.

Bill, the glum one.
Yes I know how you feel, stuck at home here also. I might attempt a mountain bike trip to the store later just to get out.

We were shocked that the Fulton county schools didn't call off yesterday - everyone I know saw this coming. Yesterday morning my son somehow accidentally (on purpose I suspect) drained the car battery by running the defrost and "forgetting" to start the car first. So he missed school, no way to get there since he's not up to cycling there in this weather. Fortunately for him - he might still be there otherwise.
Old 01-29-14, 09:39 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Here above the 49th parallel my kids never experienced a single "snow day" in their 12 years where the school was closed. They were so envious of kids in other cities.

Anyone on the east coast want to borrow an indoor trainer?
Old 01-29-14, 10:03 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Disclaimer: I say snow and cold, this isn't to imply that our situation compares with the conditions in midwest and northeast! It is probably about 1/2" of snow but it is really iced over with the continued cold temps at 25°F right now keeping it icy and slick everywhere.

We are just not equipped to handle the conditions with ice on the roads here, no salt or spreaders to help out and the local people do not know how to drive in these conditions at all. I freely admit I don't know how and I have been cocooned since 1100 yesterday when we closed up the office, I drove straight home as it began to sprinkle and the temps began to fall quickly. it was freezing rain then ice pellets after that in a steady falling rate all night.

It is pretty to look at but not for this southern boy, our son is the resident cold weather expert as he lived in Quebec for a while and still has his gear to wear. His dog has had several nice walks they both enjoyed immensely. He and I are watching the Military Channel programs in WWI now.

Stay warm and safe, prayers for the drought to end In California, too.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-29-14, 10:10 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Come up here to the Great Lakes, and you will ask for a refund for the last 30 days.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-29-14, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 603 Posts

Bill, the glum one.
It's not my fault, Bill, really ... I didn't do nothin'!

Seriously, though, strange days (weather) indeed. We're used to it, I guess, but still this winter even by our standards (SW Ontario) has been brutal so far -- and looks like being long. We've still two+ feet of snow on the ground, with more to come later this week. Temp. this a.m. was -32C or so with the wind chill.
Old 01-29-14, 10:58 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Here in SW Ohio:
The low for 2011-2012 was 18F/-8C.
The low for 2012-2013 was 8F/-13C.
This year we've already had 4 days of -4F/-20C to -6F/-21C. And four or five near record lows in October and November.

But when I look back at this winter's history, I forgot about the days above average, including a near record high of 66F/18C on Dec 21. We've had some wild swings in temperature this winter.

Here's the daily history from weatherspark.com. The dark red line is the average high for the day, and dark blue is the average low. There's faint lines for the max and min temperatures for that day.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-29-14 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-29-14, 11:22 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Ya got a dustin, eh?
Old 01-29-14, 11:49 AM

Bikes: Madone 5.9, 1980 Raleigh SGP,Trek 3500

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sure is pretty but I can live without it. Been stuck at the house since yesterday morning because of ice. No snow just ice. The roads are just now starting to thaw out.
Old 01-29-14, 11:52 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
We got nothin' here in Southern California.

Okay, not quite true, we got fog. Fairly dense fog for SoCal, actually. But I rode to work, no problem. Had to wipe the moisture off my glasses several times but other than that; bike commute as usual.

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-29-14, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Send some of that snow over here!
Don't you dare...I like it just fine here, without the snow or ice.

A little rain, maybe, but no snow or ice.
Old 01-29-14, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I got new snow shoes, and we only got a lousy 11" of powder.
Old 01-29-14, 12:47 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Come up here to the Great Lakes, and you will ask for a refund for the last 30 days.
+1 Most January snow (and coldest too I think) since 1979. No gigantic snows, but 7 or 8 snowfalls in the 4-8" range with very few melt days. Roads around my house have up to 6 foot piles along their edges. Some very cool drifting too.
Old 01-29-14, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Bill, I'm guessing that if I were to send you a set of studded tires for your bike they wouldn't get there until it was warmer.
Old 01-29-14, 02:05 PM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I am thinking the last 60 days. Even for someone who has lived here their entire life it seems impossible to get acclimated to these temperatures.

Last edited by Cycle Babble; 01-29-14 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Changed there to their
Old 01-29-14, 02:11 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Bill, the glum one.
Forget Atlanta, how about Tobermory, Ontario, there is ONE highway that goes there, due to drifting and blowing lake effect snow, that highway has been closed for almost a week. How about Kincardine or Paisley, also in Bruce County, Ontario, Canada, where they are using heavy equipment, the snow banks on the sides of the road are higher then the tops of the cabs of the machines. In some cases they have given up until the weather clears.
Old 01-29-14, 03:49 PM

Bikes: N+1=20013 Green mongoose Beast, '74 Raleigh International, '58 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, Univega Alpine Sport, Univega Ladies MTB- Wife's, Townie 7D -Wife's, and a pile-o-spare British 'junque'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ironically, I am in the middle of installing a 4,000lb a day ice maker , but since the bridges are closed I cant get there to do it. lol, maybe tomorrow! tom
Old 01-29-14, 03:50 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I just had to get out in it for a little bit.

.be
Old 01-29-14, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I just had to get out in it for a little bit.

.be
What were you riding BD?
Old 01-29-14, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to get a photo of my bike in the snow just for posterity because we don't get it very often. So for all you snow birds making fun of our 3" of snow it will all be gone by tomorrow and I will be riding in 50º+ temps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (97.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-29-14, 04:04 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill, we had freezing rain and sleet most of the night last night. One or two degrees colder and it would have been a real mess. We did have something very similar on Feb 4, 2011 where it was worse with the ice.

Roads were still drivable except highways were closed because of overpasses so had to take access or service roads.

That amost 1" of rain overnight would have been a real mess if it had snowed or been 1-2 degrees colder. So yeah our winter has been colder and wetter than normal this year. The wet is great because we were in an extreme three year drought, still behind in our rain but not as much. It all started the week before Thanksgiving.

We're pretty far south and not out the woods yet related to a major freeze which cripples all the farming and citrus. Hopefully this is it for us this winter. Look up Harlingen, and Brownsville TX on the map and you'll see what I mean. We don't want another 1983 or 1989 for South TX...no thanks...it was very, very cold then.

We'll be back in the 80s this weekend...I live here because I want to stay warm and the summer heat is something I've dealt with all my life.

Stay warm.

Richard
Old 01-29-14, 04:19 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I'm north of the 45th here in Michigan. We have this thing called lake effect snow where the forecast may call for 1" and we wake up to 1 FOOT. I've been snowblowing the drive most every day since Christmas.
Old 01-29-14, 04:23 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
No whining.

It was -30F here yesterday morning and we had a blizzard this weekend. Didn't stop us from doing anything we were supposed to do.

J.
Old 01-29-14, 04:26 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I had to run out to my spine/pain doctor today to see about my neck issue - iced over roads, snow blowing across the roads from the open farm fields... I drove through it just fine.

It hit all of 16*F today - the warmest it has been since the 35* we had Sunday night (yes, it was warm that night, but colder both days surrounding it) Since Jan 20th we've only had that one brief respite above freezing, and several nights below zero - Monday night was -12*F - Tuesday night was -6*F... More snow tomorrow, then 35* and might have a rain/snow mix on Sunday before the temp drops back DOWN again...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.