Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just joined the Kidney Stone Ckub. What works?

Went to Dr yesterday and cat scan confirmed I have a 7mm stone low down in my ureter tube that is partially blocking it and I have till Feb 14th to pass. If I don't, I'm schd for the bursting method. He says I have a 70% rate to pass it. He gave me a pain prescription plus a presc to cause the tube to dialate, relax to help the stone to pass. I'm not hurting so not taking the pain meds but have them just incase. My simptons were buring when urinating and blood in urin for one night. The meds have side effects like light headedness, dizzeness and are keeping me off the bike. Just took my first shot of Virgin Olive Oil/Lemon Juice. Wow that had a kick. Anyone had success with that remedy or what have you tried or heard of that works. I sure would like to pass this sucker or dissovle it.
    I have used the search and it was helpful but just wanted to hear some later info.
    Thanks,

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having bilateral renal calculi, myself - the best and quickest is to just have em blasted with the laser, and be done with it....... some I pass, some need help. I have a veritable gravel pit in there. Mine are calcium oxalate.

So far, the stuck (larger than 6mm for me) ones need target practice, which is relatively painless, and quick..... I'm on a first name basis with my Urologist, and he considers me his pension plan.

Nothing else has really helped - just drink as much water as you find possible. Nothing I have tried has done any good, not even the lemon juice, olive oil, green apple juice cocktails - and you already know how bad they are! Lots of water, cranberry juice, apple juice, helps keep the small ones flushed out as they come out of the kidneys.

In my 68 years, I have passed hundreds of stones, and had help dozens of times. Though they can be very painful, having them physically removed is not as bad as it sounds. The easiest on you I still the lazer.........
    Last edited by Wanderer; 01-30-14 at 12:33 PM.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    Univega, PR-10, Ted Williams,UO-8, Puch, PHLE, UO-18 Mixte
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrible dilemma - I feel for ya Bro... Truely the only answer is Water, Water, Water... Watch your electrolytes... Then...

Water, Water, Water...

After passing then its... Water Water Water...

In the south most people who ride drink about a gallon or more each day anyway...
    No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)

My Bikes
    Univega, PR-10, Ted Williams,UO-8, Puch, PHLE, UO-18 Mixte
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also note that the composition of the stones could be important - (phosphate, cistine, oscillate, uric) - The only time I have seen diet help with kidney stones has been with the Uric type stones...

In all cases - Water, Water, Electrolytes, Water...

(don't take any trips or isolated excursions to third world countries till you are stable)

My Bikes
    Giant, Mongoose, Cannondale
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mother-in-law says water with some lemon juice squeezed in.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started getting kidney stones when I was 18 and have been getting them about every 4-5 years for the past 45 years. More than a dozen stones. Don't listen to all the home remedies and advice. They don't work!!!!

The easiest and least painful way of dealing with them is to get a Lithotripsy procedure. They'll blast it and break it up with sound waves. Quick, note very painful and the "gravel" from the stone is easily passed without major discomfort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludkeh View Post
    I started getting kidney stones when I was 18 and have been getting them about every 4-5 years for the past 45 years. More than a dozen stones. Don't listen to all the home remedies and advice. They don't work!!!!

The easiest and least painful way of dealing with them is to get a Lithotripsy procedure. They'll blast it and break it up with sound waves. Quick, note very painful and the "gravel" from the stone is easily passed without major discomfort.
    Thanks for the reply. Could you explain the Lithotripsy procedure. I have read of how it use to be and that it has improved over the years. What has been yo exp.
    Thanks,
    Tony

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's in the bladder or urethra, you're already done with the fun part, namely working it out of the kidney and into the bladder. Mine was only 4mm, and getting it out the rest of the way was a non-issue. I thought getting it into the bladder was going to kill me, though!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludkeh View Post

The easiest and least painful way of dealing with them is to get a Lithotripsy procedure. They'll blast it and break it up with sound waves. Quick, note very painful and the "gravel" from the stone is easily passed without major discomfort
    +1
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calcium Oxalate stones here. Lots of them over the years. It took lithotripsy to dissolve my 6-7 mm stone as well. Taking a diuretic and drinking lemonade has helped me keep others from forming. My daughter had to have the urologist do the reach in, grab and remove technique recently for one of her large ones.

If you are able to pass it, be prepared for the stone "carving" it's way out of the canal........that last several inches doesn't feel that great..........but you will certainly KNOW when it is ejected.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had Lithotripsy done twice. It's used most often when the stone is so big that it's not likely to come. It's been a while since I had my last one, so the procedure probably has been improved upon. The last time they used X rays to pinpoint the exact location of the stone using a X,Y,Z grid. They positioned me against a liquid filled bladder so that the sound waves would intersect right at the stones location. They started a IV with a mild sedative. Once the Lithotripsy machine is turned on, it feels like someone is lightly tapping against your kidney with a ball peen hammer. TAP,TAP,TAP,TAP. The tapping is not hard but constant and at first you think this isn't going to work since it's easily tolerated. For me it lasted about 1 hour. The longer the tapping the more irritating it gets. That's what the mild IV sedative is for. They slowly increase the drip so you feel fine and begin to loose your sense of time. Your in La La land.

Once their done, they keep you in a recovery bed for a few hours until you can pee. You'll pee a red Bloody Mary and it will hurt to pee for a day or so. They send you home with a mild pain reliever ( I've never needed it), a funnel and strainer to catch the Kidney Stone gravel. They'll probably want to analyze it for composition. You'll start peeing gravel fairly soon.

With this procedure at least you know your on the right track and will be getting better soon. If you go the "waiting for it to pass" route, it could be months of misery! You have no energy for anything and your life is basically put on hold! IT SUCKS!!

My last Kidney Stone 3 years ago the Urologist recommended a Ureteroscopy procedure due to the stones location. It was done in the hospital under general anesthesia. When I woke up I was in extreme pain. I left the hospital with a catheter which remained very painful for at least a week. I finally had to go to the emergency room to have the catheter removed. After that I recovered very slowly. So, I'm never going thru that procedure again. For me, Lithotripsy is the procedure of choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone. I'll update you when there is something to tell.