Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Explanation

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 12:15 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Oh by the way, if anyone wants access to P and R, pm me.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-03-14, 12:30 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I finally got P&R privileges because of what I feel is sometimes a heavy handed policy. I agree with Goldfinch about vitriol, but like to discuss things that are relevant, like the recent posting on the passing of Pete Seeger, that got moved, probably because of a comment I made. I was a fan of the man, and his politics. If you know anything about him, no real tribute could be made to him that did not include his politics.
Old 02-03-14, 01:02 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Who moderates the moderaters?
Old 02-03-14, 01:06 PM
Homey

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Who moderates the moderaters?
CbadRider, Lotek, Tom, and I
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-03-14, 01:11 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
CbadRider, Lotek, Tom, and I
That's like that AT&T commercial: "Let me speak to the manager." "Sir, I AM the manager." "Finally, we're getting somewhere...."

Old 02-03-14, 01:23 PM
Homey

LOL!! Yes, funny how you say that. There are quite a few forums that don't have moderators on them. Some like it that way. What's ironic is that they sign up here, read the rules, agree to them and then get mad that we enforce them. What they dont realize is that because we don't have time to read every thread, a lot of our actions are based on what is complained about.

I dont' know... Darned if we do, darned if we don't.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 02-03-14 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 01:39 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Is anyone else struck by the parallels of the feelings expressed here and the theory that this kind of ambivalence - the parents viewed as both love-object and object of rivalry - is probably a precondition for the institution of an identification? The "identification" being of course the perceived self-similarities with attributes associated with a social group. Or is that just a counter-transference on my part?

Maybe I'm over-thinking it. But if we can't see the humor in that, then all is lost.
Old 02-03-14, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Basically, the P and R content was removed because we were getting complaints and we tried to keep it here. But it became less of a cycling thread for 50+...(I really didn't see cycling content but oh well).. In all honesty, we do have a music section and it should have gone there in the first place.

I've been seriously thinking about this. Since this 50+ area is more of a ALL topic forum - that perhaps the "cycling" should be removed from the name of it and this whole section be moved to the lounge.
Well, how about we take a vote? I'm for it.
Old 02-03-14, 01:50 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Against. Keep it cycling - no need to make it more closed and insular than it already is.

Why not leave it here and add a 50+ lounge, then move the Pub and add threads for, I dunno, "Whines and Gripes", "Get off my lawn", and "Colonoscopy Photos"? (Just ribbing, not meant to point at anyone in particular)

No offence intended guys, but there are a lot of cyclists over 50, and I suspect they're more interested in cycling topics in the cycling forum.

Last edited by wphamilton; 02-03-14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 01:50 PM
Homey

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
So to be clear, there will no more 50+ cycling at all, is that what you want? This whole subsection to be deleted and nil from the forum completely?
Old 02-03-14, 01:51 PM
Homey

Oh by the way, what I find very ironic is that the same person(s) who complained about the political content are the same one(s) complaining about its move.
Old 02-03-14, 01:54 PM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
I think you should start a new "Complainers and Whiners" subforum.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-03-14, 02:03 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
So to be clear, there will no more 50+ cycling at all, is that what you want? This whole subsection to be deleted and nil from the forum completely?
I vote we keep it here as is, and let the mods decide when and how to mod... like it is now.
Old 02-03-14, 02:09 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Originally Posted by fietsbob
US Navy 1966~1969 serving on FBM , a polaris 2. 16 multiple nuclear warhead carrying ICB Misslie Submarine .

now member of Veterans For Peace.. https://www.veteransforpeace.org/
USN "Gator Fleet" 1975-79, hauling marines to the beach as an LCM Engineer. Now a Veteran for Peace also.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 02-03-14 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-03-14, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Look down, look down,
Don't look them in the eye
Look down, look down,
Or else you'll get a pointy eye
Originally Posted by BillyD
That doesn't even rhyme.
How's that?
Old 02-03-14, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Here's the thing. I come here to hang out with fellow 50 plus cyclists, or those that have interests relating to cycling, but sometimes we like to engage in off topic chit chat. That seemed to be working pretty well here for the most part, but then someone created Pub 51 and decreed that anything not directly related to cycling go there. It became known as the place where perfectly good topics go to die.
If moving the forum to the lounge means it can function more or less the way it did before Pub 51 came along, I say again, I'm in favor. Nothing saying cycling can't be the dominant topic there, is there?
Just one thing though. I am not in favor of an upgraded membership requirement. If that is a requirement for participation in the lounge, then I would not support the move.
Old 02-03-14, 02:30 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I've been seriously thinking about this. Since this 50+ area is more of a ALL topic forum - that perhaps the "cycling" should be removed from the name of it and this whole section be moved to the lounge.
I disagree as as far as I can see the 50+ is primarily cycling related to a very large degree, with occasional off-topic threads.

Pub51 was set up to cover anything general and way off topic. No need for any further adjustments.

In moderation, as with cycling, the riding is much easier if you don't grip too hard when steering.
Old 02-03-14, 03:09 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Oh by the way, what I find very ironic is that the same person(s) who complained about the political content are the same one(s) complaining about its move.
If you are directing this at me, and I have no idea if you are or not, I didn't have a problem with the thread being moved. I thought it was the same 4 posters beatifying ol' Pete over and over. It was clearly political and should have been moved after the first several posts.

I wasn't happy about the slice and dice on my nonpolitical but snarky by intent post.

I really really wasn't happy that a private PM of mine was circulated amongst the mods, which is a violation of your own guidelines.

But now I'm just a rabble rouser, nothing more and nothing less.

Honest to goodness, and I hope I hear an Amen or two to this: I come here for the posters, not the moderators. If you all went on vacation to some nice sunny land where the roads are low on traffic and the temperature is 70F year round, I would rejoice in your good fortune and pray that you did not have internet access.

Old 02-03-14, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think it's wise to fix what ain't broken. The life of the 50+ will always and should always have the occasional thread moved. And, when it's moved there will always and should always be some who are annoyed by the action. Otherwise we'd all be acting like robots and marching to the beat of a single drummer. It seems that folks have expressed their views and it's time to move on. Well, maybe it's more accurate to say that it's time for me to stop reading any new posts in this particular thread.
Old 02-03-14, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Colnago! You didnt know this??
No, it's a Masi! Don't you realize Dave Stoller was the second coming?
Old 02-03-14, 03:35 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Methinks he(we) doth protest too much and this is much ado about nothing, or little.

I don't see it as a big deal that it was moved. I used to administrate a major site and also a gaming site, so I understand what it takes and what mods and admins have to deal with. IMHO, and an experienced one too, we get a lot of leeway on the 50+ and the mods/admins are quite even handed--of course, your opinion may be different.
Old 02-03-14, 03:40 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I was one of the participants in the Pete Seeger thread and while I was posting I was aware that it was migrating to being too political. I don't mind at all that it got kicked over there - it kind of deserved it.

But I was surprised when I realized that I don't have posting privileges over on P&R. Does that require some other kind of membership, or is it granted based on good behavior or something?

Guys, I think you are giving the mods too much flack. They do a pretty good job. If they don't make every call perfectly, it's not a big deal. It's just the d#mned internet, after all. If anybody is feeling a little overheated about this, go take it out on your trainer (or your bike if you ride in the winter), not the mods.
Old 02-03-14, 03:50 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I was one of the participants in the Pete Seeger thread and while I was posting I was aware that it was migrating to being too political. I don't mind at all that it got kicked over there - it kind of deserved it.

But I was surprised when I realized that I don't have posting privileges over on P&R. Does that require some other kind of membership, or is it granted based on good behavior or something?

Guys, I think you are giving the mods too much flack. They do a pretty good job. If they don't make every call perfectly, it's not a big deal. It's just the d#mned internet, after all. If anybody is feeling a little overheated about this, go take it out on your trainer (or your bike if you ride in the winter), not the mods.
I thought the reason you couldn't reply in P&R was that you had to be an elite, paid, member, but I am and I can't reply. So, there is some other reason. Not a big deal--at least to me.
Old 02-03-14, 04:05 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
What they dont realize is that because we don't have time to read every thread, a lot of our actions are based on what is complained about.
(
Well then...I am complaining about the people who are complaining.
Old 02-03-14, 04:08 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
No, it's a Masi! Don't you realize Dave Stoller was the second coming?
exactly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0238.jpg (99.7 KB, 25 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.