Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Explanation

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 09:33 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Explanation

"Welcome to P&R from 50+" qualifies as an explanation on BF?

This is 50+. I for one can deal with unpleasant realities but I object to being treated like a kid. Please stop doing that.
Old 02-02-14, 09:37 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Allons enfants de la Patria, le jour de gloir est arrive...

Old 02-03-14, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

This is 50+. I for one can deal with unpleasant realities but I object to being treated like a kid. Please stop doing that.
I'm with ya. Over moderation is not quite as bad as no moderation, (Check out Google cycling groups if you don't know what I mean by that) but it's almost as bad. I'm getting weary of it.
Old 02-03-14, 06:51 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Why some people think they need to treat people our age like sheep to be herded is beyond me. If the people here were over the top disrespectful I'd understand the need for "moderation"
but that isn't the case. It's VERY frustrating. And insulting.

Last edited by bruce19; 02-03-14 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 07:17 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I'm not sure what thread or situation you're talking about but there are rules here, just like in everything else in life. The mods let us get away with some things but if the discussion gets twisted around so it's not about bikes and is moving toward politics or religion, the thread is gonna get moved. Period!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-03-14, 07:29 AM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
back when 50+ people were being raised, there was a common saying that politics and religion don't belong in polite conversation. Somehow the 60's seems to have erased that bit of civility from our common consciousness, but it's still true. I know the P and R forum is a cesspool, but that's because of the subject matter as much as anything. This forum is not immune to becoming that way, in fact some of the worst violators of the "no PnR" rule on the forums post in here. Most people come to bikeforums.net to talk about bikes and riding bikes and don't really appreciate vitriolic political discussion. I know I don't want to see any even if I totally agree with what the person is saying. In fact, that makes it even more annoying for me. So let's just keep things like that where they belong.
Old 02-03-14, 07:53 AM

I don't appreciate "vitriolic" anything either. But, that isn't what I've seen here. I just say don't move it until there's a problem. We are in 50+ and that is a distinct sub-set of the general forum population. As such we have a different, some would say more mature () appreciation of life. I say let the conversations be what they are, where they are and if there's disrespect just shut it down. And, if there is someone who demonstrates a consistent disrespect for others warn them then ban them.
Old 02-03-14, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
A bike can't vote,

A bike can't pray,

Let's please keep things here,

That way.
Old 02-03-14, 08:30 AM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
back when 50+ people were being raised, there was a common saying that politics and religion don't belong in polite conversation. Somehow the 60's seems to have erased that bit of civility from our common consciousness, but it's still true. I know the P and R forum is a cesspool, but that's because of the subject matter as much as anything. This forum is not immune to becoming that way, in fact some of the worst violators of the "no PnR" rule on the forums post in here. Most people come to bikeforums.net to talk about bikes and riding bikes and don't really appreciate vitriolic political discussion. I know I don't want to see any even if I totally agree with what the person is saying. In fact, that makes it even more annoying for me. So let's just keep things like that where they belong.
My feeling is that if people talked politics and religion more often in everyday conversation the conversations would be less vitriolic.
Where I grew up my family's social circle really enjoyed talking religion. I think they all became more moderate in their thinking as a result.

However, I understand that this isn't the world we currently live in so there may be a need to ship off threads that end up political, especially if the thread has no relationship to cycling.
Old 02-03-14, 08:39 AM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
WWJR = What Would Jesus Ride?

The biggest problem with our government is that there are too many politicians and not enough leaders!

There . . . I'm done . . . Can we talk about bikes now?
Old 02-03-14, 08:51 AM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
A bike can't vote,

A bike can't pray,

Let's please keep things here,

That way.
I do not believe bikes have the ability to post here either.

John S
Old 02-03-14, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Look down, look down,
Don't look them in the eye
Look down, look down,
Or else you'll get a point....

Old 02-03-14, 08:57 AM

Bikes: 25 yr old Univega MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, I've got strong P&R opinions....but I come here to read and talk bikes......ONLY bikes!
Old 02-03-14, 10:09 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The reason for the move was given in the quote for that post:

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Cannot honor a political activist by staying Apolitical about their life history ..

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 02-03-14, 10:19 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Moving political content to P&R is no big issue. In my opinion. I can ignore it either way.
Old 02-03-14, 10:24 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
US Navy 1966~1969 serving on FBM , a polaris 2. 16 multiple nuclear warhead carrying ICB Misslie Submarine .

now member of Veterans For Peace.. https://www.veteransforpeace.org/
Old 02-03-14, 10:40 AM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts

FYI we do that "Welcome to ________ from _________" for every thread that is moved, because some people wonder why the thread suddenly showed up. Would you prefer we not do that? I don't see how it hurts anything.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-03-14, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,633 Times in 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Look down, look down,
Don't look them in the eye
Look down, look down,
Or else you'll get a point....
That doesn't even rhyme.
Old 02-03-14, 11:24 AM

OK, let me make 3 points:

1. "Cannot honor a political activist by staying Apolitical about their life history." That's the most objectionable post in the Pete Seeger thread? That's why it was moved? Geeze! Truthfully, I didn't feel the thread was the least bit political. It was, however, a thread about a political person who had recently died. If the moderators were afraid the thread might become too political, just say so.

2. The Pete Seeger thread was moved without adequate explanation and I couldn't even ask on P&R because I'm not allowed to post on P&R. When I asked on 50+ my post "disappeared" for almost 2 hours, then reappeared with an inadequate explanation, and was then summarily closed so I still couldn't pose the question. I really do feel that's treating me like a child. I object to that. I will continue to resist that kind of treatment until I'm banned from the forum.

3. I understand the need for moderation, EVEN IN 50+. A few months ago we had a poster who persisted in starting some quite insulting threads about older bicycle riders. I reported at least 2 such threads and the poster shortly disappeared. The moderators (I assume) did that. I thought that action was appropriate, and I appreciate the moderators for having done that.
Old 02-03-14, 11:25 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
The reason for the move was given in the quote for that post:
If it had to be moved (and I am baffled as to why), why wasn't thread moved to Pub 51. I thought that was why the Pub opened - and it could do with the business before it goes bankrupt. I often talk politics in the real life, not virtual, pub, and actually did talk there about Pete Seeger last week, without anyone criticising or praising his politics.

OTOH I rarely talk about religion in the pub in case I offend my religious friends, whose views I don't share, but do respect.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 02-03-14 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 11:27 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And once again, I'm clueless.
Old 02-03-14, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by longbeachgary
And once again, I'm clueless.
You didn't miss much.

If you care, the Pete Seeger thread in question is in P&R. Honestly, there's nothing in it that I found to be offensive or controversial. Had it not been moved, by now it would probably have dropped off the bottom of the page and been forgotten.
Old 02-03-14, 11:42 AM

OK, let me make 3 points:

1. "Cannot honor a political activist by staying Apolitical about their life history." That's the most objectionable post in the Pete Seeger thread? That's why it was moved? Geeze! Truthfully, I didn't feel the thread was the least bit political. It was, however, a thread about a political person who had recently died. If the moderators were afraid the thread might become too political, just say so.

2. The Pete Seeger thread was moved without adequate explanation and I couldn't even ask on P&R because I'm not allowed to post on P&R. When I asked on 50+ my post "disappeared" for almost 2 hours, then reappeared with an inadequate explanation, and was then summarily closed so I still couldn't pose the question. I really do feel that's treating me like a child. I object to that. I will continue to resist that kind of treatment until I'm banned from the forum.

3. I understand the need for moderation, EVEN IN 50+. A few months ago we had a poster who persisted in starting some quite insulting threads about older bicycle riders. I reported at least 2 such threads and the poster shortly disappeared. The moderators (I assume) did that. I thought that action was appropriate, and I appreciate the moderators for having done that.
P&R is also unavailable to me. But, my biggest issue is being treated like someone who has to be censored before any indiscretion occurs. I'm a little beyond that point in my life. In summary...+1 Retro.

Last edited by bruce19; 02-03-14 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 12:06 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
WWJR = What Would Jesus Ride?
Colnago! You didnt know this??
Old 02-03-14, 12:13 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Basically, the P and R content was removed because we were getting complaints and we tried to keep it here. But it became less of a cycling thread for 50+...(I really didn't see cycling content but oh well).. In all honesty, we do have a music section and it should have gone there in the first place.

I've been seriously thinking about this. Since this 50+ area is more of a ALL topic forum - that perhaps the "cycling" should be removed from the name of it and this whole section be moved to the lounge.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.