User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woe is me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woe is me

I've been making an effort to get fitter this winter ready for more riding in the summer, and have even started building a bike more suitable for road riding.

Just had a letter from my local hospital telling me that my rotator cuff surgery is planned for late April, which means I'll probably miss the best riding months recovering.

Makes me feel like *#^*#** swearing.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd tell them back off until fall.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain! I haven't been able to ride much for the past 2-1/2 years due to multiple surgeries. Getting old sucks!!! I'm hoping I can kick this neck pain this year (caused by severe arthritis in C3-C4, and a bulged disc C5-6.) I had really hoped that my retirement would be enjoyable, and not feeling like a crippled old fart!

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recovery from RC surgery is 4-6 months, so yes, you would miss it. Gosh you aren't even allowed to pick up a phone book for the first couple of months. It's awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

My Bikes
    1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's just me, but I would call the hospitol and say you are sorry, but will be out of the country until late September.

John S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    Our NHS is good at many things, particularly emergency/critical care, but giving choice over timescales is not one of them. If you turn down an op you're likely to go to the back of the queue again.

I'd already asked for it not to be in July because of holidays and they honoured that request.

I could have it done at a private hospital but that would cost around 5k and probably be done by the same surgeon.

I'll just have to build up my fitness before the op, take the hit and afterwards keep fit walking and by borrowing a friend's turbo trainer for use outside in the garden.
    Last edited by Gerryattrick; 02-03-14 at 11:45 AM.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    Our NHS is good at many things, particularly emergency/critical care, but giving choice over timescales is not one of them. If you turn down an op you're likely to go to the back of the queue again.

I'd already asked for it not to be in July because of holidays and they honoured that request.

I could have it done at a private hospital but that would cost around 5k and probably be done by the same surgeon.

I'll just have to build up my fitness before the op, take the hit and afterwards keep fit walking and by borrowing a friend's turbo trainer for use outside in the garden.
    In that case, I wish you the best in recovery and minimal downtime!
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So often life gets in the way of enjoying life. It is probably wiser to get things taken care of sooner than later. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be a good time to pick up an additional hobby. Notice I didn't suggest that you drop cycling. Just fill the time with something else you enjoy.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have plenty of mountains in Wales so I'll have time to do a lot more hill walking, which has taken a back seat since I got back into cycling.

On the plus side I get out of gardening, painting the house, tiling the bathroom, fitting new kitchen units, all of which my wife had planned for me this summer.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope everything goes well for you, I'd hate to cross the NHS with another date change, as you said. I'd say stick with the schedule and get as fit as you can prior to the surgery and follow the surgeon's directions so the recovery doesn't drag out with complications and then get back in the saddle when you are healed up fully.

Bill

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In this situation, it's only fair to ask: WWBD?

Here Bruce darn near got his head severed in a cycling accident and got on the bike just a few week later.

Seriously, your bike will wait patiently for you. They're good about that.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna be calling to arrange for hernia surgery soon, so I feel your pain. Well ... sort of ... I guess mine is a different pain.

Wait a minute ... why am I telling the world about this?
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been making an effort to get fitter this winter ready for more riding in the summer, and have even started building a bike more suitable for road riding.

Just had a letter from my local hospital telling me that my rotator cuff surgery is planned for late April, which means I'll probably miss the best riding months recovering.

Makes me feel like *#^*#** swearing.
    Hospital??? Both times I had my rotator cuff surgeries it was as an outpatient. Surgery at 7am and home by 2 pm. Physical therapy started the following day. I was back on the bike in ~2 months.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    82 Miyata 610, old Azuki running a SA 5 speed, Phillips Roadster from the 50's
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DO YOUR PHYSICAL REHAB !!! If your shoulder is bad enough to need surgery get it done. I had my right shoulder done 17 Oct 2013, when the surgeon got in there he found nothing wrong with the RC... But the biceps tendon was badly frayed, the bursa was scarred and inflamed, the collarbone and scapula were rubbing together, multiple bone spurs, hole worn in joint cartilige, etc... Surgeon fixed all. Have been on 3 short rides in last week, on my old upright cruiser so no weight on hands and being CAREFULL Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Hospital??? Both times I had my rotator cuff surgeries it was as an outpatient. Surgery at 7am and home by 2 pm. Physical therapy started the following day. I was back on the bike in ~2 months.
    Mine will probably also be day surgery in the local hospital. I will be aiming to get back on the bike as soon as I can, without being too stupid, and hope I can do as well as you.

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    My husband was in at 630am, home by 6pm. He had a large amount of work done. It's just the healing that takes a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    I'm gonna be calling to arrange for hernia surgery soon, so I feel your pain. Well ... sort of ... I guess mine is a different pain.

Wait a minute ... why am I telling the world about this?
    So what kind of STD do you have?

Just kidding. Seems like I say that a lot.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    So what kind of STD do you have?
    The worst kind. I'm old!
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine will probably also be day surgery in the local hospital. I will be aiming to get back on the bike as soon as I can, without being too stupid, and hope I can do as well as you.
    I was back on the bike (trainer) in about a week. No worries about falling over since your arm will be in a sling.
    The toughest part of the whole thing was sleeping in a comfortable chair for the first week or so after the surgery. It felt so good to sleep in the bed after the doc allowed to take my arm out of the sling at night.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could always plan to spend next winter in Florida to make up for the time off the bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind me asking. I'm having some pain in the shoulders, still have mobility but wondering what are the symptoms that lead to rotator cuff surgery?

I know, I know, need to visit the doc to see what's going on.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the symptoms is being unable to lift your arm to the side, horizontally, without severe pain in your shoulder.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    ^^^^

This
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
    One of the symptoms is being unable to lift your arm to the side, horizontally, without severe pain in your shoulder.
    And rotating the thumb up/back. Major indicator of rotator cuff.

Or when it hurts getting the back wheel off to fix a flat.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast