Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-14, 09:39 AM   #76
Tpcorr
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FWIW...my Masi came with an FSA crank and the bolt kept backing out on rides. This even after the LBS "fixed" it a couple times. On one of the forums here some mentioned that it was not uncommon for FSA cranks to do this. OTOH my gu's Fuji came with one that did not have this problem. But, it's left me reluctant to consider FSA cranks. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced or heard of this.


I've thought about changing out the crank to the Ultegra 6800, but have decided to wait until I have a problem, or just feel like throwing money at the bike.

Tom
Tpcorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 02:09 PM   #77
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,854
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Yea Being a sum of it's parts, FSA stuff is often chosen to drop the cost of the whole bike a bit ..

even though the names were Originally Italian , Masi And Bianchi went to Asia
to get the bikes made cheaper .

Bianchi USA did it decades ago Masi first shifted the premium steel frames
to a California subsidiary by selling the name ,

Now they are on Taiwan built by a big conglomerate too .

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-27-14 at 02:14 PM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 04:29 PM   #78
roadandmountain
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All true but bianchi still features the cool paint job.

Asian manufacturing is hardly a stigma; if it is, it's certainly not based on the quality of work. It's kind of snidely implied, given the tone and context that there is something 'tainted' about a taiwanese made bike. But then you look at the welds from taiwanese made bikes such as my gary fisher or on a motobecane ti made by ora, and the quality is top notch. Oh, but it couldn't be because it was made in taiwan!

It's a very pervasive, assumed, implicit unspoken racism. Compare the welds on an ora/motobecane vs a lynskey. The or bikes' welds are just as clean. Now take a look at those detroit a bikes and welds from some custom builders which I would rather not mention here. The custom US builders have streaky paint jobs and uneven, gobby welds. The fisher has uniform, close welds throughout.

I have a gary fisher 2004 that was built in taiwan and the quality of welds looks top notch to me. There's a new line of bikes called detroit a-bikes made in...detroit and the weld quality looks like a first time project from a jr. high school metal shop class. Before they successfully responded to japanese competition, campagnolo brakes and derailleurs back in the 80's were basically impossible to keep in adjustment.

It's interesting that Asian manufacturing has been synonymous with "cheap" products when the far more expensive italian and us equivalents were actually of inferior quality.

I remember an acquaintance delivering a rant once about how the "japanese" don't deliver exciting paint jobs (bridgestone). This idiot didn't realize that the bikes were designed in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Yea Being a sum of it's parts, FSA stuff is often chosen to drop the cost of the whole bike a bit ..

even though the names were Originally Italian , Masi And Bianchi went to Asia
to get the bikes made cheaper .

Bianchi USA did it decades ago Masi first shifted the premium steel frames
to a California subsidiary by selling the name ,

Now they are on Taiwan built by a big conglomerate too .
roadandmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 04:40 PM   #79
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,854
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
now Bridgestone doesn't even bother with the US market , for selling their bikes ..

After all the units sold under contract, to western markets by other brands ,
the manufacturing tooling in Taiwan is top notch .

want something in 7005-T6 aluminum which necessitates a solution heat treatment after welding ?

thats where you go to have it done.. anymore .. and the quick turnarounds and low cost R&D is there.


unless you are running a cost no object, taxpayer funded weapons making company.

or coughing up for something like Moots, in Titanium. seen some really nice bead skillfully
laid down on Titanium bike welding ..
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 04:52 PM   #80
roadandmountain
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
now Bridgestone doesn't even bother with the US market , for selling their bikes ..

After all the units sold under contract, to western markets by other brands ,
the manufacturing tooling in Taiwan is top notch .


want something in 7005-T6 aluminum which necessitates a solution heat treatment after welding ?

thats where you go to have it done.. anymore .. and the quick turnarounds and low cost R&D is there.


unless you are running a cost no object, taxpayer funded weapons making company.

or coughing up for something like Moots, in Titanium. seen some really nice bead skillfully
laid down on Titanium bike welding ..
This. But like I said, the quality of the human craftsmanship is clearly evident on taiwanese made bikes as well.

Too bad about bridgestone. They were kind of ambushed by bicycling magazine by being labeled as 'retro-grouches' and things just kind of went south from there. They made an exceptionally strong case for their bicycles (repairable, inexpensive, great geometry). But trek's bikes, with their high fallootin' carbon and alu, and neon paint jobs, well....
roadandmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 05:05 PM   #81
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,854
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
guess Grant shrugged at the Rodale crew and went into the Rivendale , even higher priced niche
and turned the retro thing up to 11.

Trek and many other brands want to see their gear on the world stage

so they funded Lance and his TdF podium poses ,
and now that Sven Nys has a closet full of rainbow jerseys
got him to switch over from Colnago's bikes to theirs.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-27-14 at 05:09 PM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 05:45 PM   #82
roadandmountain
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
guess Grant shrugged at the Rodale crew and went into the Rivendale , even higher priced niche
and turned the retro thing up to 11.

Trek and many other brands want to see their gear on the world stage

so they funded Lance and his TdF podium poses ,
and now that Sven Nys has a closet full of rainbow jerseys
got him to switch over from Colnago's bikes to theirs.
Very interesting. Thank you!

It was a bit mystifying seeing bridgestone usa just vanish into the mist....glad to see g.p. following his vision.
roadandmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 AM.