Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Car Rack - Hanging a Carbon Bike By The Top Tube

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

After the advice given in a previous thread and doing lots of research I was all set to buy a Kuat NV or Kuat Sherpa hitch rack for my car. The only real issue left for me was the actual cost of the racks (~430 for the Sherpa and ~525 for he NV) is expensive. I had previously limited my search to tray style racks because I did not want to hang my carbon bike from the top tube. Yesterday at the LBS I had an at length coversation regarding racks in general and carbon bikes. I was told that there was no issue at all in hanging a carbon bike from the top tube and that the better racks would tighten down the bike sufficiently to keep from polishing the clear coat. I was further told that if I was concerned about the finish on the bike I could use micro fiber towel around the top tube or put some static cling product (similar to screen protectors for a tablet) where the bike contacts the rack.

Given all of you have "real world experience", I would like to solicit your opinions as whether it is wise to hang a carbon bike by the top tube in a bike rack.
Old 02-19-14, 11:44 AM

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
It's a carbon bike and one you must have spend quite a bit $$$ on. So why take a chance. Go with a tray and don't worry about it. It's the best way to protect that pricy frame and paint job. Personally I don't think you can find a better rack than the NV. I have one to haul around my hybrids, road bike and mt bikes. Best rack I have ever owned and after riding 50 years or so thats a lot of racks.
Old 02-19-14, 02:18 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,953 Times in 1,393 Posts
My enormous preference is to put the bike in the car. It's really not that hard. However, if I'm giving someone a ride, I'll put on my light, cheap, removable rack. I always hang my carbon bike by the top tube on it. Never a problem.
Old 02-19-14, 02:24 PM
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My enormous preference is to put the bike in the car. It's really not that hard. However, if I'm giving someone a ride, I'll put on my light, cheap, removable rack. I always hang my carbon bike by the top tube on it. Never a problem.
I scratched the crap out of my new car's trunk with a cheap trunk rack. I tossed it out and just use the trunk/backseat now.
Old 02-19-14, 02:58 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
I scratched the crap out of my new car's trunk with a cheap trunk rack. I tossed it out and just use the trunk/backseat now.
Been there.

The best place for a bike is inside the car if you can manage it. That's where I put mine (and I use a bungee to keep it there for safety purposes).

As for hanging the bike by the top tube:

1. Rather doubtful you'll do any structural damage ... even with a CF bike.

2. If you use it often, it's almost certain that you'll mar the finish wherever paint/clearcoat touches the rack. Consider the 3sigma situation ... windy drive in the desert with scattered rainshowers. No matter what you do, the wind is gonna buffet the bikes around, and any debris blown into the interface is gonna leave it's mark. The screen protector stuff may solve that problem, so long as the bike doesn't shift and it's properly positioned.

I guess it depends on how persnickety you are about your bike's finish. All of mine are old enough now that I really don't mind a few minor scratches. I've got a few of those myself, so why should the bike be any different?

Old 02-19-14, 03:10 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That why I got a Toyota Matrix. I don't even take it apart, as I have seen some people who even have large SUV's do.
Old 02-19-14, 03:12 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a highlander - I just put the whole bike in the back
Old 02-19-14, 03:18 PM

All,

I would love to put my bike in the car but, I need to take 3 adults to Bike Across Kansas. Therefore, a car rack is the only option.
Old 02-19-14, 03:19 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

WRX wagon for me.

Just curious ... do you guys bungee the bike down or secure it in some way? I'm not sure it's really needed, but I gotta wonder what would happen if I got into a wreck with an unsecured bike and front wheel back there.

Old 02-19-14, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Put your bike on the rack, go someplace, RIDE IT. That's all you really have to worry about. It's gonna get scratched one way or another. Don't wory about it.
BTW, I'm much more worried about my CF bike splitting in half when I go over a big bump.
Old 02-19-14, 07:37 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
All,

I would love to put my bike in the car but, I need to take 3 adults to Bike Across Kansas. Therefore, a car rack is the only option.
So you're planning to hang 3 bikes on that rack? I don't care what the bike shop guys have to say. If I was concerned about scratching my bike's finish I wouldn't trust that rig.
Old 02-19-14, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So you're planning to hang 3 bikes on that rack? I don't care what the bike shop guys have to say. If I was concerned about scratching my bike's finish I wouldn't trust that rig.
Actually, I am only hanging 2 (the NV and Sherpa can only hold 2 without the add on) another driver is going to take the third bike. But, your point is well taken.
Old 02-19-14, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, what are you guys riding? Must be gems of priceless value to worry about scratches.

Bicycles are tools made to ride, the harder and longer the better. If they serve their purpose they will get worn, marred, dirty and otherwise messy.

My bikes are clean, well maintained and full of mars from their service to me. They are even scratched, including my CF bikes. Not museum pieces they.
Old 02-19-14, 10:32 PM
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've had roof racks and trunk racks, and never had a problem mounting my carbon bikes. In fact, my roof rack came off the top of my car going down an interstate with three bikes on it. (Evidently didn't have it mounted correctly.) Messed up some wheels and the bikes/car were scratched up, but the integrity of the two carbon bikes was not compromised. Carbon is pretty tough stuff.

But that being said, for the last few years I have appreciated my minivan with stow & go seats. I can put five bikes (or three singles and a tandem) inside on front fork mounts and still have room for three cyclists. Best bike carrier, IMO. Minivans aren't sexy, but at 69 y/o, neither am I.

(And Planemaker, I may see you at the BAK. It's a fun, well organized ride. I'm doing it for the third time.)

Last edited by Cychologist; 02-19-14 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-19-14, 11:40 PM
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by Cychologist
But that being said, for the last few years I have appreciated my minivan with stow & go seats. I can put five bikes (or three singles and a tandem) inside on front fork mounts and still have room for three cyclists. Best bike carrier, IMO. Minivans aren't sexy, but at 69 y/o, neither am I.
+1 Minivans rock. Even if women consider them less sexy than a UPS truck:

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/study--w...222507614.html

Old 02-20-14, 06:24 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
My Honda Element and its predecessor, the Honda CRV, are good bike haulers. The cf bike goes in without removing the wheel. It is great having the bike inside the vehicle to protect it from weather and theft. A lot of my rides occur directly after work; other rides include a post-ride meal stop or errands on the way home.

The cf frame will be fine suspended from the top tube.

If you are in a car wreck, bad things can happen to you and your bike no matter how you're set up to carry the bike. I avoid hauling the bike around with the car if I don't plan to ride that day.

With the CRV, I folded down the back seat and put a large piece of cardboard (leftover bike box from the LBS) to slide the bike over to avoid snagging/soiling the upholstery. If I needed to carry two bikes, I would put the cardboard atop the first bike to avoid entanglement and just stack them up.
Now that I have the Element, I removed one of the back seats and folded up the other.
I put a blanket down in the back and have a pool noodle in to prop under the bike to keep it from bouncing and sliding around.

If I am making a longer trip (and need more cargo carrying), I will bungee the bike into an upright position from a clothes rack mounted just under the roof.

I figure I could fit 3 bikes in easily and be able to use one of the back seats for unplanned SAG service.

If I get in the habit, I can buy a skewer-style truck mount and fasten it to a "bike board" with a separate fork-style mount for carrying the wheel. The entire bike board can slide in and out of the cargo area.

If I need to get a new motor vehicle, I'll take a long look at the Transit van. Narrow with great headroom, and a little longer so the bike will easily ride without having to tilt the front wheel to one side.
Old 02-20-14, 06:52 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a rack that hangs the bike from the top tube and I store my cf bike by hanging from the top tube. It has lightly scratched the finish where the bike touches the rack but I rarely look under the top tube. No serious damage after 4 years.
Old 02-20-14, 07:20 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395

Statistics can lie any way they can be constructed. You know that.
Old 02-20-14, 08:01 PM
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by rubic
Statistics can lie any way they can be constructed. You know that.
IMHO, anything from Yahoo is suspect. Statistics are wrong 90% of the time.

Old 02-20-14, 09:00 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I purchased a Yakima hold up 2 last year
After having a hanging rack for several years
After just 1 week of using the Yakima platform rack
You couldn't give me a hanging rack
The ease of loading and unloading it takes only seconds to do
Is well worth the price alone to me
plus no bungee cords or anything else to mess with
little to no chance of damage to the bikes is a winner to me

https://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/hitch/holdup2in
Old 02-21-14, 10:12 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I would contend that putting a roof rack (for various sports equipment like bikes, kayaks, skis, etc) on a minivan greatly increases the sex appeal of the driver
Old 02-21-14, 11:24 AM
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by dbg
I would contend that putting a roof rack (for various sports equipment like bikes, kayaks, skis, etc) on a minivan greatly increases the sex appeal of the driver
+1

It does for me.

Interesting, eh? I do a lot of things that drive my style-conscious 20 something daughter nuts.

I wear Keens. To her, they are ugly. To me, they are indicative of an active lifestyle. And she saw the light when we were hiking up the Virgin River.

When I bought my Subie wagon, she cried. No kidding. What could be worse than a little station wagon? To me, the Subie demographic is generally that of active people, so I had entirely the opposite view. She changed her tune when her male friends (especially the athletes among them) started drooling over it (it's a bugeye WRX).

I say that style follows form, which follows function. Do what you do, make your own style and screw what anyone else thinks.

PS: We'll be driving our minivan to do a little skiing this weekend.

Old 02-21-14, 11:37 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1

It does for me.

Interesting, eh? I do a lot of things that drive my style-conscious 20 something daughter nuts.

I wear Keens. To her, they are ugly. To me, they are indicative of an active lifestyle. And she saw the light when we were hiking up the Virgin River.

When I bought my Subie wagon, she cried. No kidding. What could be worse than a little station wagon? To me, the Subie demographic is generally that of active people, so I had entirely the opposite view. She changed her tune when her male friends (especially the athletes among them) started drooling over it (it's a bugeye WRX).

I say that style follows form, which follows function. Do what you do, make your own style and screw what anyone else thinks.

I wear keens as well, mainly because of the arch support (which I need to ward off plantar fasciitis).

I want a bike rack that attaches to a receiver hitch, that i can possibly use on both my Jeep Wrangler and our Honda Accord. This discussion is making me reconsider what type of rack I might buy, other than roof rack, which would not work for me
Old 02-21-14, 11:43 AM
dbg
Si Senior

+1

It does for me.

We are of the same mind. (and also have similar 20 something daughters) I'm looking at Subie's now (to replace a useless Lexus sedan).
Old 02-21-14, 11:48 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Just to take this a little farther off topic... You got me thinking about how perfect a WRX AWD Bugeye with a roof rack would be for me...

some extra entertainment
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/watch...lice-car-video

And (to the OP) you wouldn't need to hang the CF by its top tube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.