Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Sportlegs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sportlegs

I have been reading about Sportlegs, has anyone tried it? Does it help?

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also read some favorable comments from serious people and decided to try it. It seems to help with cramps but the sample size to too small for proof. Since I began using Sports Legs, no cramps so fat. Give it a try. Maybe we can end up with a much larger sample over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    I also read some favorable comments from serious people and decided to try it. It seems to help with cramps but the sample size to too small for proof. Since I began using Sports Legs, no cramps so fat. Give it a try. Maybe we can end up with a much larger sample over time.
    The s@&t works - I struggled with cramping on 50 mile- plus rides until I started using them for the long rides last year. I think I took 3 pills every 2 hours (the first dose prior to the start time)... That is for my 150 lbs - add another if you are closer to 200 lbs.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used it to reduce soreness the next day. It doesn't help put the gas back in the legs, though -- my legs may not be sore the next day but they're still depleted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used Sportlegs last year before a century ride, seemed to help. Think I started with 3 capsules pre-ride and added 2 more around the 50 mile mark. Per the instructions, I should have used more with my weight but figured anything would be better then nothing.

Before this I had problems with cramping at the 45 mile mark. The Sporlegs may have helped, or it could be that I'm hydrating better and was in better condition on the last century. But just in case Sportlegs works, I picked up a 120 count bottle on sale for $15.

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like sport legs, seems to help me work my legs harder. Add endurolytes for some help with cramping, cramps have always been one of my biggest issues
    Join the fight to stop Diabetes! You can help improve the lives of those living with this disease!Sponsor me in the 2012 Tour de Cure in Redmond Washington!

http://main.diabetes.org/goto/ericsalinas

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ergogenic aids, AKA stuff that's supposed to help you over normal food consumption, normally don't work, so I was very skeptical when I tried Sport Legs. I was very surprised to find that they did seem to help me. On days where I would forget to take them my legs suffered, and the next time I'd ride I'd remember to take them and my legs definitely felt better. This does not happen with every ride, and I'm not out sprinting over and over, this is primarily getting back into shape and building up from 28 mile rides to now into the 40's and 50's.

Like most things, what works for one won't work for others, and what worked for you one time may not work for you every time, so I would say to try a bottle or two and see how it works. You can get really scientific and see if there are changes in your times, speed, climbing ability, and see if there's a difference between days you use it and don't.

I have a friend who's a registered dietician, she also competes in triathlons. I asked her if she was familiar with Sport Legs and she had not used the product, but checked out the ingredients and stated that nothing in it looked to be dangerous, but that it did contain magnesium and that causes tummy problems in some (I.E. Milk of Magnesia), but it causes me no problems, in fact I have tummy problems and I'm usually sensitive to things that upset my tummy, and Sport Legs causes no problems.

Give them a try, and if it doesn't work for you, then at least you gave it a shot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HIPCHIP View Post
    .... You can get really scientific and see if there are changes in your times, speed, climbing ability, and see if there's a difference between days you use it and don't....
    Optimally it would need to be a placebo controlled blind study with enough trials to be statistically significant. For a product that works, these would be conclusive and well worth doing. Do such studies exist for this supplement?
    Ride more. Fret less.

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    Optimally it would need to be a placebo controlled blind study with enough trials to be statistically significant. For a product that works, these would be conclusive and well worth doing. Do such studies exist for this supplement?
    That's a good question. I'm sure the company has done some kind of study, or maybe one of the cycling magazines might have something. It would just be a good guess as to whether times/climbing/leg pain was changed by the Sport Legs or something else, but again, everybody is different and they can also be different on different occasions. Basically I was taught one main rule in my Kinesiology and Sports Medicine classes, if it works, it works, if it don't, then it don't, so each individual needs to try it for a long enough period to see if it works for them or not. It seems to have worked for me, but not every time, but when I don't use it there does seem to be more leg tiring occurring.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have depended on endurolytes to prevent cramps during/after long rides, but I haven't encountered Sportlegs. The idea is that they are an electrolyte supplement, but better because they are (Ca,Mg) lactate rather than carbonates, etc.? If so, bluetrek, why take both?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the stuff really works, then I'm open to empiricism, but I don't understand enough biochemistry to understand what the advantage is over more conventional electrolyte supplements. The marketing info emphasizes that the ingredients are Mg- and Ca- lactates rather than carbonates, etc., but do they remain in that form once they are absorbed in the stomach? Surely when you take Mg carbonate, it isn't Mg carbonate once it's in the blood?

Does anybody with a better background understand the distinction?

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried Sportlegs a few years ago, but didnt see any changes. I have been using Hammer Enduralytes for the past couple of years, and like the results for those. I take them on all century and longer rides.

just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They work. Nothing to do with electrolytes, as far as I can tell. I take Endurolytes for that. Sportlegs are lactate compounds. Lactate is fuel. They enable my legs to work harder, earlier, and keep on working. I still get some cramping while using Sportlegs, but not bad. I take Tums for cramps. If there is a downside, it's that because I can work harder for longer, recovery is also harder and longer. So I don't use them for ordinary training, just events and competitive group rides.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A contrary view:

http://abbyruby.blogspot.com/2008/03...not-there.html

(I have no opinion of my own in this case, I"m just curious)

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    I tried Sportlegs a few years ago, but didnt see any changes. I have been using Hammer Enduralytes for the past couple of years, and like the results for those. I take them on all century and longer rides.
    +1 on Enduralytes. They seem to help me a lot for cramping prevention. My son started using them for soccer games and his late game cramping subsided noticeably.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Sportslegs are mostly lactic acid. For years, it was known that your muscles produce lactic acid during heavy exertion, and for that reason it was blamed for making your legs sore after a heavy workout. A few years back, it was learned that your muscles use it for fuel. So all it does is provide more fuel for your legs. It'll delay the point at which you run out of gas, and taking it after the ride may help you recover better -- IF you depleted yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your help. I believe I will try sportlegs,, It does not sound like it will hurt and may help.