Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

"Angry Birds" were out in force today!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-14, 04:01 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Was it the weather??? Folks got cabin fever and taking out on others???

Whatever it was it was out in force today. I'm out doing a long ride on NC's very rural backroads where there is little traffic. A lot more head of cattle per mile than cars....

About 45 minutes into my ride someone behind me in their car just starting blowing their horn. They went slower than they had to and continued to blow the horn repeatedly as they passed me. Heck, I was so close to the edge of the road already that they could have eased past me and barely be on the yellow line. It attracted so much attention some folks came racing out of a church I was passing to see what was going on. I learned a long time ago to just ignore it. My pastor suggests saying a quick prayer to the effect of "bless those poor folks".

A few hours later a couple folks in a SUV passed me and a can of something came flying over my head.....I've had stuff thrown at me and fortunately most of the time thankfully folks can't throw worth a lick and I don't get hit. I don't like people throwing stuff at me. If a can of soda does hit me in the side of the face it could be tragic. I was hoping they might stop a store up the road but no such luck. I did pass another rider a couple miles later and asked him if he had something thrown at him and sure enough the same thing happened to him.

Then a few miles later two cars were following me a slow rate of speed. I was wondering if it was the car that was throwing stuff and were going slower just so they could have a better chance of hitting me. It turns out to be different vehicles this time. It was two cars of teen agers that slowly pulled up beside me, legs sticking out the windows, and then they quickly accelerated with the two cars drag racing for about a mile.

Other than that stuff it was a great day to ride and I had a very nice ride. 105 miles with 6000 ft of climbing with temps approaching 70.....
Old 03-02-14, 04:40 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
When people do stuff like that, I try to assume there's a good reason for it. Some people are well meaning. Some are cyclists and don't know how to get a cyclist's attention from their cars. And of course, some are mean. What I do is smile and wave. They may think I've totally misunderstood them if they are trying to express anger. And you know what? That's a good thing? It means they saw a happy response to their anger. They will know that they haven't gotten me angry. At least they know their expression of anger doesn't always get them the fight they're looking for. Maybe they'll even give up. I'm not counting on it, but this is how I do my part in trying to dissipate anger and spread good will.

If someone really really urinates me off, I mutter an insult under my breath, never audibly.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-02-14, 05:44 PM
VNA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yes sometimes I wonder if the law of numbers plays a role?

Most rides are no problems and then I will have 2 or three consecutive rides with incidents that I wish did not happen!

What some people do sitting behind a steering wheel can be bizarre of course dangerous and illegal--as if they care!
Old 03-02-14, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Nice spring weather does seem to bring them out, especially when that weather happens during the winter. I guess one can just be thankful their aim is generally poor and that they are the very rare exception rather than the rule. On the bright side, at least you know they see you and thus won't run you over while texting.
Old 03-02-14, 07:29 PM

Bikes: Early 2000s Harry Havnoonian titanium, T1980s Schwinn Szuper Le Tour

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had similar incidents. They do seem to happen in streaks. I had a guy throw his coffee at me. Missed but mad me mad. It can be frustrating but I can usually get past it and enjoy the ride.
Old 03-02-14, 07:52 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
You guys are on the right track. The best (not necessarily easiest) response is one which avoids escalation. A smile and/or a friendly (multi-digit ) wave can be disarming
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-03-14, 04:24 PM

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilkiewheels
I have had similar incidents. They do seem to happen in streaks. I had a guy throw his coffee at me. Missed but mad me mad. It can be frustrating but I can usually get past it and enjoy the ride.
Haven't had this to happen to me. Yet? Dread the day it does because I will be Peee Ooooo!! No sure if I could enjoy the rest of my ride... Getting mad just typing my response to this hypothetical scenario..whew!! Would remembering the licensing plate and filing a police report be the appropriate response?