Banned
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun with your new ride!

After 3 years, I'm in the process of making my first real change by replacing the stock Tektro Oryx brakes with Tektro CR720s as recommended on this forum......there better be a noticeable improvement or you're gonna hear about it :-)

I did have the extra brake levers installed which I really like and I went to 26X1.85 tires.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    retro grouch bike 001.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerDawg View Post
    I still don't understand how you ride with bar end shifters.
    I use my pinky fingers. I guess it's been 10 or 12 years since I rebuilt my retro grouch bike. I wanted to minimize maintenance so I decided to use bar end friction shifters rather than brifters.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    retro grouch bike 001.jpg

I use my pinky fingers. I guess it's been 10 or 12 years since I rebuilt my retro grouch bike. I wanted to minimize maintenance so I decided to use bar end friction shifters rather than brifters.
    Nice bike. I like this little touch

Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Nice bike. I like this little touch

My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of years ago I got a yen for a touring bike. I don't do the heavy duty touring that many of you do, more what they call credit card touring. I also wanted to build it up myself. I ordered a Salsa Casseroll frame and fitted it out with an Ultegra group. its a 10 speed cassett3, 11-32, double crankset. Has matching honey colored Brooks B-17 and honey leather bar wraps. It is a ride that increases in pleasure the more I ride it. Mostly ride my Specialized Roubaix but many days I just want a change and the Salsa does the trick with a comfortable touring geometry. The satisfaction of having built it allows me to be in tune with anything that is amiss with the gearing and other parts.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
    The OP hasn't returned since posting. I'm assuming she's out riding and enjoying her bike.
    That's seem kind of like what should be happening.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, .. Novara 2013 Madrona 29'er, Trek 520 2012, Surly Pugsley fatbike 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerDawg View Post
    I still don't understand how you ride with bar end shifters.

Go for the cross check or pacer, or another bike with brifters.
    I have a Trek 520 with the bar end shifters. I like them as they are designed for a touring bike and are more dependable than the STI brakes and cheaper to repair.

blt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    A couple of years ago I got a yen for a touring bike. I don't do the heavy duty touring that many of you do, more what they call credit card touring. I also wanted to build it up myself. I ordered a Salsa Casseroll frame and fitted it out with an Ultegra group. its a 10 speed cassett3, 11-32, double crankset. Has matching honey colored Brooks B-17 and honey leather bar wraps. It is a ride that increases in pleasure the more I ride it. Mostly ride my Specialized Roubaix but many days I just want a change and the Salsa does the trick with a comfortable touring geometry. The satisfaction of having built it allows me to be in tune with anything that is amiss with the gearing and other parts.
    My '12 Casseroll has an 11-34, the standard build triple 48-36-26, the black Brooks Imperial, and 28mm tires. I didn't build it, so I can't be quite in tune like you are, but I love the ride. Very smooth on most roads, reasonable even over some nasty rough stuff, and comfortable for those long rides. With the low gearing, the nasty climbs I like don't cause me to be worn out for the rest of the ride. And the price was right, I'm not sure I could get a nicer ride without spending a couple thousand more than I did. Too bad they don't make the Casseroll anymore.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blt View Post
    My '12 Casseroll has an 11-34, the standard build triple 48-36-26, the black Brooks Imperial, and 28mm tires. I didn't build it, so I can't be quite in tune like you are, but I love the ride. Very smooth on most roads, reasonable even over some nasty rough stuff, and comfortable for those long rides. With the low gearing, the nasty climbs I like don't cause me to be worn out for the rest of the ride. And the price was right, I'm not sure I could get a nicer ride without spending a couple thousand more than I did. Too bad they don't make the Casseroll anymore.
    I agree,a comfortable ride indeed and the price for the fully fitted out bike was more than reasonable. By building it, I spent about double, but I always wanted to build a bike and I was in the market for a touring bike so it all worked out. Enjoy your Casseroll, I believe it will become a sought after classic if it isn't already.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.
    My Bikes
    Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Do like my two good friends who will leave St. Augustine, Florida for San Diego, California Saturday morning on their Disc Truckers. I helped them set the bikes up with Ortlieb panniers and SKS fenders. Great bikes for loaded touring.
    What route are they taking? Do they plan to ride all the way across Texas?

Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.
    My Bikes
    Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP hasn't returned since posting. I'm assuming she's out riding and enjoying her bike.
    The OP has indeed been getting in some saddle time but she's a HE!! Typos can really do nasty thing's to a guys image!

Notice that Tom was good enough to get my gender straightened out for me!
    Last edited by Louis Le Tour; 03-18-14 at 04:47 PM.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are getting in some saddle time, but with your screen name the gender problem will be a constant thing, probably. Anywho, its nice to hear from you, how about a riding report and a few pics of the bicycle, that is a tradition here. Also, don't forget the first ride pie and just keep riding and smiling.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise Le Tour View Post
    The OP has indeed been getting in some saddle time but she's a HE!! Typos can really do nasty thing's to a guys image!
    Sorry but I thought Louise Le Tour sounded female. Still glad to hear you're riding. Typo?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a video in case you didn't see the addition to my original post.

http://vimeo.com/89279831 (updated 3-18-14)
    Last edited by Louis Le Tour; 03-18-14 at 04:48 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenA View Post
    Have fun with your new ride!After 3 years, I'm in the process of making my first real change by replacing the stock Tektro Oryx brakes with Tektro CR720s as recommended on this forum......there better be a noticeable improvement or you're gonna hear about it :-)I did have the extra brake levers installed which I really like and I went to 26X1.85 tires.
    I see the Tektro brakes are the older type, I've got disc brakes, I GUESS they're better (the guy who sold me the bike sed so!).

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a video in case you didn't see the addition to my original post.

https://vimeo.com/home/page:1/filter...e/format:video
    Link not working.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link not working.
    It works fine for me. You may need to hold down "Ctrl" and "Alt" simultaneously with clicking on the link.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It works fine for me. You may need to hold down "Ctrl" and "Alt" simultaneously with clicking on the link.
    You need to post a public link.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Anywho, its nice to hear from you, how about a riding report and a few pics of the bicycle, that is a tradition here. Also, don't forget the first ride pie and just keep riding and smiling.Bill
    First ride pie?! OH MY!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to post a public link.
    I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to computers. Fill me in on what a "public link" is.

Banned
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the process of making my first real change by replacing the stock Tektro Oryx brakes with Tektro CR720s as recommended on this forum......

I see the Tektro brakes are the older type, I've got disc brakes, I GUESS they're better (the guy who sold me the bike sed so!).
    I checked out the Surly site and I see that the non-disc bakes on the current LHT are now Tektro CR720...

those guys must follow this forum...probably a lot of other folks in the biz do as well for input

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to computers. Fill me in on what a "public link" is.
    Use the share button (paper airplane icon) to get a public link. It will look more like :

http://vimeo.com/72673612
    Last edited by BigAura; 03-18-14 at 08:27 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenA View Post
    I'm in the process of making my first real change by replacing the stock Tektro Oryx brakes with Tektro CR720s as recommended on this forum......there better be a noticeable improvement or you're gonna hear about it :-)
    I know you'll see some improvement with the CR720s. Personally I'd recommend switching to v-brakes. Canti's work, but v-brakes work better and are easier to adjust.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but I thought Louise Le Tour sounded female. Still glad to hear you're riding. Typo?
    Tom fixed it for me, thank goodness!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the share button (paper airplane icon) to get a public link. It will look more like :

http://vimeo.com/72673612
    Surly Long Haul Trucker touring bicycle with YAK trailer. on Vimeo I think that's it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast