just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    And then there's the whole foot/ground interface thing. Shoes, no shoes. If shoes, minimalist, standard or the new super cushioned trail runners (Hokas). And laces - so many choices. But that's nothing compared to socks. Or not socks. And insoles. Custom ones from podiatrists, semi-custom thermo formed, SuperSoles or Dr. Scholls. Where does it end??!!???
    What the hey, run with it. Best thing I've tried are Salomon Gore-Tex trail runners. Not sure about the Gore-Tex, though. Take too long to dry. I hike where and when I see the PCT through-hikers on their last days before Canada. The finishers. Always socks, mostly trail runners, some light boots. No FiveFinger shoes. Latest fad this year was kilts. Some with poles, some without. Usually long sleeve nylon shirts and nylon pants with zip-offs. Also new this year was a lot of solar panels.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Poor decision. Monkey meat works fine, and according to some theories they caused extinction of the mammoths. They should have stayed put.
    Bad science. Monkey meat did not cause the extinction of the mammoths.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
    What the hey, run with it. Best thing I've tried are Salomon Gore-Tex trail runners. Not sure about the Gore-Tex, though. Take too long to dry. I hike where and when I see the PCT through-hikers on their last days before Canada. The finishers. Always socks, mostly trail runners, some light boots. No FiveFinger shoes. Latest fad this year was kilts. Some with poles, some without. Usually long sleeve nylon shirts and nylon pants with zip-offs. Also new this year was a lot of solar panels.
    Were the kilt wearers true Scots, i.e. going commando?

Solar panels could improve my cycling if I could use them to power the bike - all I'd need is some sunshine.

My Bikes
    2014 BMC GF01 & 2013 Trek Madone
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    Bad science. Monkey meat did not cause the extinction of the mammoths.
    Well if you consider humans to be essentially monkey meat, then maybe monkey meat was involved after all. Hmm.

H

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
    You're are mixing two different concepts. Fast twitch muscles are used with short bursts of speed like sprinting. Slow twitch are for endurance.

When you spin, it's an aerobic activity and relies mostly on slow twitch in an aerobic mode. Sprinting is an anaerobic activity and relies primarily on fast twitch fibers. Sprinters naturally have a higher percent of fast twitch than do non-sprinters.
    Thanks for the clarification. To your point....HowStuffWorks "How is mashing different from spinning?"

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If we were vegans we'd all be living in Africa.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The word vegetarian is an old Indian word meaning "bad hunter".
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    olds +1

My Bikes
    2014 BMC GF01 & 2013 Trek Madone
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    If we were vegans we'd all be living in Africa.
    Eating monkey meat? Are you trying to confuse me?! It's easy to do, all you have to do is say "I just wanna ride my bike."

Lol, I said the exact thing recently when a friend wondered if I should consider getting a cycling coach. But I didn't really mean "I just wanna ride my bike," I meant "I want to figure it out myself"

H

PS I would like to clearly establish that I'm not over fifty. I only wandered in here to check out @Dudelsack's interval training blog. Just an interloper. For some reason, I felt it important that I confess this now.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worked on my walking technique, too. There's a lot to it. How far apart side-to-side your footplants are, rocking or pivoting the body or shoulders, length of stride, toe-out, butt positioning. When climbing, there are two techniques depending on grade: holding the knee angle relatively constant and powering from the hips, or bending the knee like climbing stairs. On smaller grades one can trade back and forth. I usually pay attention.
    People who are skilled in sporting pursuits such as tennis and even hiking have in common the ability to make it look easy and smooth. I've hiked a good bit in the mountains of New Hampshire. In observing through hikers, those people walking the 2200 miles of the Appalachian Trail, by the time they reach N.H. are extremely fit, and able to reel off multiple days of 25 miles in steep terrain and manage to look elegant doing it. You would not think walking could be improved since we have been doing it all out lives. Those through hikers as so smooth it is not readily apparent how fast they are moving until you encounter them and try to stay with them. Then you see they are moving at very good speed and you are putting a strenuous effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son-in-law-in-training in currently on the Appalachian Trail. He's wearing medium hiking boots, but he's a pretty big guy. My wife has the Salomon's for hiking here in NM. I wear super light Saucony Peregrine trail runners to hike in the mountains, with Superfeet Green insoles for a little more rock protection and FITS socks. Both the Salomon and the Sauconys have good tread, with reverse tread on the heel for gripping when going downhill.

I don't use poles for day hikes because I don't need the extra stability, but my wife does. When backpacking a heavy load, I find poles to be very helpful. When I snowshoe, I do use poles because 1) snowshoes (other than racers) are a bit awkward, and 2) much of the ground I traverse is unstable.

The point we're both making is that the rides, or hikes or whatever a lot of us do are made more enjoyable by paying attention to detail. This allows us to go farther, go safer and with less discomfort than if we didn't pay attention to the many small details (such as cadence and pedaling technique) that comprise fundamental elements of the repetitive movements we're making.

Anyone can get up off the couch and enjoy a short walk or ride in the local park. Getting up off the couch and enjoying a week long backpacking trip, or a 100 mi. bike ride with 10K feet climbing takes a bit more preparation and attention to detail.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    Eating monkey meat? Are you trying to confuse me?! It's easy to do, all you have to do is say "I just wanna ride my bike."

Lol, I said the exact thing recently when a friend wondered if I should consider getting a cycling coach. But I didn't really mean "I just wanna ride my bike," I meant "I want to figure it out myself"

H

PS I would like to clearly establish that I'm not over fifty. I only wandered in here to check out @Dudelsack's interval training blog. Just an interloper. For some reason, I felt it important that I confess this now.
    Well we sure as heck wouldn't be chasing wooly mammoths across Siberia if we ate vegan.

My Bikes
    '98 Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979, Univega Alpina, Felt Little B@st@rd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    And then there's the whole foot/ground interface thing. Shoes, no shoes. If shoes, minimalist, standard or the new super cushioned trail runners (Hokas). And laces - so many choices. But that's nothing compared to socks. Or not socks. And insoles. Custom ones from podiatrists, semi-custom thermo formed, SuperSoles or Dr. Scholls. Where does it end??!!???
    And one can spend an entire lifetime getting the surface properly fitted to one's physiology. The mind boggles!
    Last edited by Popeyecahn; 03-12-14 at 10:03 AM.
    And tell my mama I'm a hundred years late
    I'm over the rails and out of the race...

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Great thread. I really like the 50+. I wore my "50Plus" jersey on yesterday evening's ride, which was fixed gear. My cadence varied between 40 and 140, depending on the incline and the direction of the light winds. I smiled some, and I grimaced some. I think that I smiled more, though...

My natural cadence falls into the higher range. It has been this way a long time.

A few things I enjoyed about this thread.

- discussion of fast twitch and slow twitch
    - twitpiffles
    - monkey meat, although I somehow can't suppress a laugh when I hear "monkey butt"
    - the "Weasles Ripped My Flesh" avatar - too cool

Phil

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    The word vegetarian is an old Indian word meaning "bad hunter".
    Really? I thought it translated to "prey."

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Really? I thought it translated to "prey."
    "Sometimes I gets the bar and sometimes the bar gets me"
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have encountered several people in the mountains hiking bare footed. One young fellow I spoke to who was bare footed and descending a steep and rocky trail said that it was a different experience than wearing boots. I would guess he meant you need pay close attention to what you were doing.

The ultimate bare foot experience would be "The Barefoot Sisters", two sisters from Maine who having seldom worn shoes in summer, hiked the Appalachian Trail both ways, about 4500 miles, barefooted. https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...a&channel=fflb They have book out about the northbound and southbound segments. These books were both a great read as the young ladies are smart and artistic, composing stories and songs for their own entertainment as well as for other hikers at trail shelters and hostels.

Terex, best wishes to son-in-law in training on his though hike. Remind him that while fueling with pizza is fine, to remember to add plenty of protein to the diet. I've seen plenty of those young guys who have not fueled properly and suffer loss of muscle and bone loss resulting in small fractures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    I have encountered several people in the mountains hiking bare footed. One young fellow I spoke to who was bare footed and descending a steep and rocky trail said that it was a different experience than wearing boots. I would guess he meant you need pay close attention to what you were doing.

The ultimate bare foot experience would be "The Barefoot Sisters", two sisters from Maine who having seldom worn shoes in summer, hiked the Appalachian Trail both ways, about 4500 miles, barefooted. https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...a&channel=fflb They have book out about the northbound and southbound segments. These books were both a great read as the young ladies are smart and artistic, composing stories and songs for their own entertainment as well as for other hikers at trail shelters and hostels.

Terex, best wishes to son-in-law in training on his though hike. Remind him that while fueling with pizza is fine, to remember to add plenty of protein to the diet. I've seen plenty of those young guys who have not fueled properly and suffer loss of muscle and bone loss resulting in small fractures.
    Thanks! I'll pass along advice.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
    Wow. Great thread. I really like the 50+. I wore my "50Plus" jersey on yesterday evening's ride, which was fixed gear.
    Hey, I think I saw ya. I was heading east wearing a boring red jersey. I would have yelled out, but I didn't want you to think I was a stalker
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    Hey, I think I saw ya. I was heading east wearing a boring red jersey. I would have yelled out, but I didn't want you to think I was a stalker
    I wish that you had yelled out, Jim. I've always appreciated your Skyline Drive and environs ride reports. Phil

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post

H

Hey you kid, get off our grass!

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    It's posts like this that have me on the verge of giving up on this sub-forum. Nobody is telling you how to ride. There is not a single post in this discussion that says that those who pedal at slow cadence should change what they are doing if they are happy with the way they are. Why are you inferring that those of use who would like to discuss improving form/performance/ability are judging you?

If you are happy with how you ride and uninterested in the topic of cadence, why are you reading this thread in the first place if it isn't simply to scold those of us who have priorities different from yours?
    You seem to be pretty thin skinned, he expressed a opinion , not unlike anybody else , after all , this is the internet. I really found nothing offensive in his post , certainly nothing meriting your reaction. The internet police never seem to amuse.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thread has moved on in good humour. How did we jump back three days?

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, Monkey Bread is GREAT!

Pretty windy 65 miles today so there was lots of drafting. I matched the cadence of different riders in front of me as per suggestion here and sometimes it was OK and sometimes it wasn't. As also has been said, I did my own thing, because it just felt better.

My Bikes
    BTwin Triban 3A
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new question about cadence:

Most of the times I can keep a cadence of 100 rpm but I have noticed that when I am at low speeds (mainly with the small chainring) it is difficult for me to spin faster than 85 rpm but for high speeds (mainly with the big chainring) I surprise myself spinning at 115 rpm or even more.

If I try to spin at 100 rpm with a very low gear in a flat road I feel like there is nothing to push and I loose round pedaling but with the same gear in an uphill I can maintain such 100 rpm. I think something similar happens to the situation I describe above. What do you think?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast