My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pedromj View Post
    I have a new question about cadence:

Most of the times I can keep a cadence of 100 rpm but I have noticed that when I am at low speeds (mainly with the small chainring) it is difficult for me to spin faster than 85 rpm but for high speeds (mainly with the big chainring) I surprise myself spinning at 115 rpm or even more.

If I try to spin at 100 rpm with a very low gear in a flat road I feel like there is nothing to push and I loose round pedaling but with the same gear in an uphill I can maintain such 100 rpm. I think something similar happens to the situation I describe above. What do you think?
    I know just what you mean. It's because of a slight unevenness in your pedal stroke. In a very low gear on a flat road, any slight overpressure at any point in the pedal stroke will accelerate the bike and then you'll have a slack chain in another part of the stroke. Whereas when you are pedaling against higher resistance, slight mistakes in smooth pedaling are not evident. At higher speeds, the momentum of the bike and rider also come into play. As momentum increases there is also less slowing between pedal pulses, so the lack of round pedaling may even become a non-issue.

I do pedaling drills in the fall and early winter on my rollers where I pedal very fast in a low gear, thus against little resistance and with little pedal pressure, at cadences up to 120. Many people do this at even higher cadences. This helps smooth up my pedaling and is a good recovery activity after a hard ride.

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    I'm not criticizing anyone who just rides their bike. There lots of things I don't understand in life and don't necessarily try to: reality TV, women who make everything about something else, what it would be like to have a job that ended at a specific time, string theory, etc. I freely admit that I'm probably the oddball here.

H
    LOL, don't think you are a lone wolf................... that's lots of us!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done a similar thing riding a spin bike and working on core strength (yoga and Pilates). I ride my spin bike in front of a mirror, and focus on generating as much power as possible while keep a completely still upper body. When riding a lot, EVERYONE comments on how smoothly I ride on the road.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    BTwin Triban 3A
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
    I know just what you mean. It's because of a slight unevenness in your pedal stroke. In a very low gear on a flat road, any slight overpressure at any point in the pedal stroke will accelerate the bike and then you'll have a slack chain in another part of the stroke. Whereas when you are pedaling against higher resistance, slight mistakes in smooth pedaling are not evident. At higher speeds, the momentum of the bike and rider also come into play. As momentum increases there is also less slowing between pedal pulses, so the lack of round pedaling may even become a non-issue.

I do pedaling drills in the fall and early winter on my rollers where I pedal very fast in a low gear, thus against little resistance and with little pedal pressure, at cadences up to 120. Many people do this at even higher cadences. This helps smooth up my pedaling and is a good recovery activity after a hard ride.
    Good to know there is a meaningful answer. I was not worried about this but I was curious to know the reason. Thanks for clarifying it.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post

I had an ex-track racer tell me that my pedaling was very smooth. It can only be because of the years I spent on my rollers. Still have the same rollers I bought from Nashbar in the mid '80's and they work fine. I love rollers. I just need to get on them again....and soon. Damned weather.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456