Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Ride the Rockies 2014 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/937659-ride-rockies-2014-a.html)

buelito 03-10-14 06:55 PM

Ride the Rockies 2014

It has been a long time since I was on these pages. However, I got into Ride the Rockies this year-- it will be my 6th time. The route looks wonderful, with a lot of climbing, and start/finish in the foothills near Denver (starts in Boulder, ends a week later in Golden).

I know jppe is going. Anyone else?

train safe-

Rick@OCRR 03-12-14 02:46 PM

Not this year but it sounds like fun! I've never ridden in Colorado at all but it's on my list. I was thinking about Triple By-Pass but maybe Ride the Rockies would be better? If you're going all the way from VA for it (plus you've ridden it 5 times already) it must be good!

Does the route change every year? Does Ride the Rockies do part of the Triple By-Pass route?

Rick / OCRR

jppe 03-13-14 07:20 AM

Rick you would love it. The route changes year to year and usually includes a nice climb every day-sometimes 2 or 3. The week has a very relaxed, casual feel and RtR seems to think of everything to make the week enjoyable and accommodating to the riders. Last year felt like one of the "flatters" RtR's I've done and this years will probably have more climbing than average. All skill levels of riders participate including hand cyclists. They keep the climbs to the typical 6% average and some might hit 8%. However some of the climbs might be 15-20 miles in length like Trail Ridge Road, Independence Pass, etc.

I usually have no issue with 10,000-11,000 ft elevations. I will fly in on Saturday and start riding on Sunday. I'm not as fast as normal (don't need to want to be0 but I still wind up passing hundreds of riders each day.

We usually stay on school grounds and most of the towns are moderate to small in size. I really enjoy supporting the smaller restaurants that normally depend on locals for their business. They have buses that will take folks to restaurants or to hotels for those that are not camping.

The Colorado Highway Patrol monitors the roads and helps to keep what traffic there might be agreeable. The CHP folks usually are repeat folks that really enjoy doing the event with us. The ride fee includes a jersey, tshirt and cap. RtR is well sponsored and they are able to keep the weekly fee very reasonable for what you get. The scenery is priceless of course. I've had the chance to meet several 50+ on the ride as well.

Dudelsack 03-13-14 08:08 AM

Do you see any bents on the ride?

Biker395 03-13-14 08:23 AM

OMG ... I would love to do this. Maybe I can talk Rick into it. :D

john.b 03-13-14 08:55 AM

My entry for RtR didn't get picked for this year. Maybe next year... (Wow, that makes me sound like a Cubs fan.)

I am in for this year's Cycle Oregon, which looks to have even more climbing than this year's RtR. I guess I better get training...

Biker395 03-13-14 09:13 AM

Oh my ... you had me looking at the route. That is a beautiful part of the Oregon! It looks as if registration is still open. Can that be?

john.b 03-13-14 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 16573993)
Oh my ... you had me looking at the route. That is a beautiful part of the Oregon! It looks as if registration is still open. Can that be?

Looks to be. More spendy than RtR, but includes more. Great bunch of riders last year, really looking forward to September! (In the mean time, I need to work on intervals!)

crazyb 03-13-14 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16573807)

Just asked my boss who's been on it 5 times and he said a few, but not many at all.

Rick@OCRR 03-14-14 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 16573850)
OMG ... I would love to do this. Maybe I can talk Rick into it. :D

Quite likely Victor. I'm having back issues right now but seeing a PT who is also a cyclist and hope to get it all sorted soon. I was talking with Keith Eckstein after the evening ride last night and he wants to ride Tripe ByPass too. So maybe we could all car-pool to either TBP or RtR? Worth thinking about. Don't know if you know Keith or not . . . He's a single-speed (but not fixed) fantatic on and off road.

Rick / OCRR

colorado dale 03-14-14 07:03 PM

Here's my BREW guide for this yrs RTR

Check in day check out boulder beer or Avery. If you need to do just one Avery

midride day 1 try tommy knocker in Idaho springs (ok perhaps not before the Berhound Pass Climb

winter park tell people after a long day you are going to spend the evening at the Library (they are noted for their stout and ipa)

steamboat haven't tried mahogany ridge is downtown so not too far from the school

Edwards gore range brewery has a Belgium tripel
crazy mtn brewery has $10 pitchers until 7:30 pm

Breckenridge Brewery is known for vanilla porter and avalanche

Golden you can get 3 free beers at Molson / Coors they have Colorado Native and Batch 19 on tap

nmichell 03-14-14 09:02 PM

I still haven't done RtR although I live in Colorado. Looks like a great ride, although that first day looks awfully tough for us mere mortals. I have a friend who is in, and he's talked his wife into doing it with him on the tandem. If they're still married afterwards, I may try to talk my wife into that :)

jppe 03-15-14 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16573807)

VERY few bents for whatever reason. There are more handcyclists than bents. Maybe because the % or riders is dominated by Colorado residents and very few CO residents prescribe to bents???

Originally Posted by john.b (Post 16573947)
My entry for RtR didn't get picked for this year. Maybe next year... (Wow, that makes me sound like a Cubs fan.)

I am in for this year's Cycle Oregon, which looks to have even more climbing than this year's RtR. I guess I better get training...

You are the first person that I've heard of that didn't get selected to a RtR. I'd LOVE to do Oregon again this year as it does have a lot of climbing in a gorgeous area of the state. Last year's CO was flat as flat could be. I really enjoyed it probably because I met so many other riders in the beer garden??? RtR is a better value as you probably don't spend as much on meals as what Oregon charges plus RtR give you a bunch of stuff. Both are really nice ways to spend a week though.

jppe 03-15-14 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by colorado dale (Post 16578792)
Here's my BREW guide for this yrs RTR

Check in day check out boulder beer or Avery. If you need to do just one Avery

midride day 1 try tommy knocker in Idaho springs (ok perhaps not before the Berhound Pass Climb

winter park tell people after a long day you are going to spend the evening at the Library (they are noted for their stout and ipa)

steamboat haven't tried mahogany ridge is downtown so not too far from the school

Edwards gore range brewery has a Belgium tripel
crazy mtn brewery has $10 pitchers until 7:30 pm

Breckenridge Brewery is known for vanilla porter and avalanche

Golden you can get 3 free beers at Molson / Coors they have Colorado Native and Batch 19 on tap

Or just drop in on the Beer Garden and sample Odell's variety of offerings for a steal. Everything tastes great after a day's ride!