Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hybrid to Road Bike

Is it common to switch from a hybrid to a road bike after age 65? I'm tired of the hybrid and want something to keep up with the road bikes on rides.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe in Seattle,

well theres you motivation, the peer pressure is dropping you off the back ,
    so its time for that Ferrari or Porche Race-like bike.

though they still may not wait up for you. thats cultural not equipment.

everyone else drop the big bucks on Carbon fiber wonderbikes?

the Jonses have to be kept up with..

Is it common to switch from a hybrid to a road bike after age 65?
    just on this forum, or planet wide?
    Last edited by fietsbob; 03-18-14 at 09:57 AM.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's never too late for enlightenment.

My Bikes
    1985 Nishiki Team Issue, 2013 Trek 520, 2014 Trek Stache 8, 2015 Trek District 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it seems pretty common at any age. Keeping up with groups is often cited as a reason, as is just plain going faster, farther, and/or lighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may not be common but it's not too late. I switched from a hybrid to a road bike at age 59. My buddy switched last year at age 63.

Go for it!

My Bikes
    2014 Trek Verve 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny at 63 I've gone the other way (I pick up my first hybrid Saturday).

My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride whatever excites you. Don't know how common it is to start with a road bike after 65, but my local bike club has plenty of serious roadies in their 60s and 70s.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought they would be uncomfortable at first, so I test rode a 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert Disc C2 with Ultegra group set. I thought I died and went to heaven. At 18lbs too. However, my hybrid's hydro brakes on my Sirrus are much better, requiring less squeeze pressure. These discs were the mechanical ones. So then I tried the Giant Carbon Defy 1. I took it up the steepest street I could find in the lowest gear. It performed easier with the 34x28 than the hybrid's 34x36 combo. It certainly is more motivation to ride faster, farther and more often.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making changes at any age to follow your interests is not common enough. Have at it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't know about the switching part, but it is common enough for 65'ers to be riding road bikes at all. There is a reason those bars are shaped that way. They are more ergonomic and offer more hand positions than flat bars.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it's going to be fun for you. I'd take my time on researching what's out there and choosing something just right for your tastes and needs.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not necessarily common but at your age there are no rules. But if you want to be a Roadie there are rules.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may well be your first drop bar road bicycle, but it probably won't be the last one, they are habit forming. We have several members in 50+ that have made a late switch to a drop bar, the weight is a big factor if they are doing group rides or climbing and need the extra advantage it offers you. You are looking at some really nice bicycles, and if the hydraulic brakes are your cup of tea for hard, quick stopping like a descent might give you, that is available either on a stock bicycle or as a add on. It will be more expensive, though.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a couple of months shy of medicare.....and have been riding adult bikes since the 60's. My wife and I converted to flat bars in the late 70's and road them until Dec. of last year. That's when I found a great deal on a Giant TCR composite. So now I have a new hybrid daily rider, Giant Escape RX composite, a Giant TCR Composite road bike occasional rider and a Mongoose Triomphe mountain bike for the dirt. I find the road bike to be my sports car on two wheels and enjoy it. But, still love the hybrid for those leisurely rides with the wife. Currently we ride about 6 to 8 k miles/year. So don't let the age fool you..... enjoy the ride.

My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still trying to get my riding partner to switch from a comfort bike to ... anything else!
    Good luck and have fun shopping around.

Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    well theres you motivation, the peer pressure is dropping you off the back ,
    so its time for that Ferrari or Porche Race bike.

though they still may not wait up for you. thats cultural not equipment.

everyone else drop the big bucks on Carbon fiber wonderbikes?

the Jonses have to be kept up with..
    Why do you not like carbon fiber? Its less costly than steel or titanium, not much more than aluminum if you are comparing like quality bikes.

To the op, go with the nicest you care to afford. I ride with 80 yr olds that are on road bikes, and they are carbon.
    Rydadiamond

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyb View Post
    Why do you not like carbon fiber? Its less costly than steel or titanium, not much more than aluminum if you are comparing like quality bikes.

To the op, go with the nicest you care to afford. I ride with 80 yr olds that are on road bikes, and they are carbon.
    I know a guy who owns a carbon fiber hybrid who crashed it the end of last season. He had the bike repaired, but he doesn't know if the frame is safe to ride. I freely acknowledge that this might just be my own neurosis, but if I spent $2k to $4k on a bike, I would hate to think that I would need to junk the bike after a crash.

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    I know a guy who owns a carbon fiber hybrid who crashed it the end of last season. He had the bike repaired, but he doesn't know if the frame is safe to ride. I freely acknowledge that this might just be my own neurosis, but if I spent $2k to $4k on a bike, I would hate to think that I would need to junk the bike after a crash.
    If I crashed a steel, titanium, aluminum, scandium, boron, bamboo, bike I wouldn't know if it was safe to ride unless I had it xrayed. Would you?
    Rydadiamond

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you not like carbon fiber
    personally , it doesnt matter, I got no roadie peer group to ride with ..and drop me off the back ,

but the LBS is, happy to sell you one, drop on by .. It's not Snowing here ..

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ride with 80 yr olds that are on road bikes, and they are carbon.
    The bike or the rider?

If I crashed a steel, titanium, aluminum, scandium, boron, bamboo, bike I wouldn't know if it was safe to ride unless I had it xrayed. Would you?
    With a steel bike you can be pretty certain whether a joint is broken or a tube is bent. If none are, you can ride it with confidence. I don't know about the others.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I crashed my steel bike, and had it checked out or repaired by a trusted mechanic at a LBS, I would be pretty confident that it was safe to ride. Steel dents. It doesn't usually fail catastrophically without warning. But I have ridden steel bikes my entire life so I have a comfort level with steel that I don't have with CF. That is this guy's fear, that without sending the frame back to Trek, he doesn't really know if it is safe to ride.

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
    The bike or the rider?
    The riders, they all ride newer stuff. One of em still races.

With a steel bike you can be pretty certain whether a joint is broken or a tube is bent. If none are, you can ride it with confidence. I don't know about the others.
    Put a stress crack in a weld, and maybe you would see it and maybe not. All I am saying is that any frame material can fail if it suffers an impact.
    Rydadiamond

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's not go down that "which frame is better?" path again.

To the OP, I would suggest that a better motor would accomplish more than a lighter frame.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

intern
    My Bikes
    none but looking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were a true roadie, you would know the answer to that question since you would be superior to everyone else.

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A road bike usually has a more aerodynamic position than a hybrid. If the OP is riding 15 mph or more, then such a change can make a real difference.

One of the biggest differences between road and hybrid bicycles are tire choices. One easy way to upgrade a bike is a tire upgrade.

As far as your age, you are more than 35 years younger than the 100+ century record holder, so you've got lots of time to make this switch.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast