Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, our 200th person to share their experiences as a 50+ bicycler in the thread, Special Thread for 50+yo Bicyclists is

blacktom

Congrats!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-19-05 at 07:18 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a bit of history for those that may be newer to the BFN.

Sometime back, it seemed as if there were only a very few of us who were 50+ on BFN. At times there were obviously negative remarks about the "old farts" and the "elderly" riders. Some folks had misconceptions, perhaps from their own families, that active life seemed to stop about 45 yo.

So, we decided to see just how many of us there were and to learn a little about who we were, what we rode, how we biked, etc.

The result was the "Special Thread for 50+ Bicyclists", where we each got to share a bit about our bicycling activity. As of this writing, this thread has been viewed 11,074 times, making it one of the more viewed threads on the BFN.

Additonally, I believe that a lot of attitudes of younger folks towards 50+ riders have been influenced positively. Those negative remarks and misconceptions have decreased markedly since the start of the 50+ forum. I should note here that starting the 50+ forum was controversial, to say the least!

To read all 200 entries of folks who have shared their 50+ bicycling experiences on "Special Thread for 50+ Bicyclists" is pretty amazing and a bit overwhelming to me. It belies many of the common preconceptions that a lot of folks have about 50+ers in general and bicyclists in particular.

I also started to keep track of the screen names and to count the contributors, which has been fun.

I also went through the first 60 or so entries and developed a separate list of the different bicycles that we ride, and the variety is sort of amazing. Several folks have updated this, following the instructions to send me an updated private mail. I do not add bicycles appended to the original post to the main listing.

So, congratulations to the 50+ bicyclists. You are an amazing group of folks, and have my sincere respect.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-19-05 at 07:19 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.