User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    25 yr old Univega MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my new Bike.......LOVE it! Need computer recommendations!!!!!

Just wanted to update everyone!

After much research and riding of Trek's, Fuji's, Cannondale's and Giant's.......I bought a Giant Rove 0! Took several weeks to get it.... LBS has done a great job of fitting me!

And I LOVE it! The black/hot pink is very striking! Much better looking than I anticipated! And the Rapid Fire shifters and other upgrades make this bike a dream to ride. Seems very quick and responsive!

I've bought some Shimano PD-A530 dual sided pedals, but don't have them on yet. I've also ordered a pair of Ergon GP3 grips. I've bought Izumi biking shoes and got a helmet!

However, I'm having trouble finding a computer that gives basic trip info, total miles and auto pause features. Any suggestions? I really like the Garmin 500 - but I don't need GPS and don't want to spend over $200! LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Planet Bike Computers.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 5.2, 2012 Giant Composite XTC 29er 1, 2014 Specialized Dolce Sport, (2) 2014 Trek 7.1FX, 2014 Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a wireless bell computer $15.00 on amazon. set up in five minutes and works great for temp, odometer, trip odometer, speed, stopwatch, and is auto pause.

sch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been partial to Cateye stradas because they are cheap $18-30 in wired versions, have large text on the display and the batteries (2032) last for 3-6 yrs. I have 4 all
    dating to the early 2000s and only one has failed at 12-13yrs old. The older ones had two buttons and allowed you to re-enter the odometer setting on battery change,
    the newer ones don't allow this. FWIW several people I ride with mount their iphones on the bike and use bike computer apps to record speed, mileage etc. Handily
    includes GPS location maps if you wonder off the beaten path, for road riding, not sure how it works for off road. At least I assume iphone, but Samsungs or whatever
    smart phone would undoubtedly work as well. Computers that are wireless have bling but I never saw the point, and I agree a $200-450 Garmin is overkill unless
    you are a Strava afficionado.

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will second the wired Cateye Strada w/Cadence. I love them,and can still be found on ebay and amazon.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had bad experience with wireless compuers -- they always go haywire in the city and show my top speed at 99.9km/h.

But after many adventures with Cateye and other computers, I bought the bottom-of-the-line Garmin 200 ($129 at Amazon), which logs my miles and allows me to download my rides after I've done them. I love knowing what I've done this month, and how it compares with the same month last year, and I love the fact that I have one computer that fits on all three bikes, even though the wheel size is different. I even have a spare mount that I take with me on trips where I may be riding a borrowed bike, so I can clock those miles too. It's fun.
    Zero gallons to the mile

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with inexpensive wired (as mentioned above). Anything over $30 is too much for such a basic tool.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I got my Garmin 500 some time ago off eBay for right at $200, free shipping. I'd keep a look out for one. And then you can upload to Strava. Because you know what they say: Strava or it didn't happen.

http://bit.ly/PGmYvD. $199 and free shipping.
    Last edited by Dudelsack; 03-16-14 at 02:34 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BikeAnon. Yes, but if I had four bikes instead of three, my $129 gizmo would be cheaper than four inexpensive wired computers.

Hmmm. Time to buy another bike?
    Zero gallons to the mile

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boudicca... interesting point. I have 5 bikes.... your math is wise.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like the Garmin 500, what about the 200, does effectively everything the 500 has, less the heartrate/cadence functionality. For not wanting GPS, it's nice to see where you have been, sites like Strava are great, and can be used as data loggers, you don't need to use them to race, also, using sites like Strava, if you start following other local riders, you can find new routes you never knew existed.

My Bikes
    25 yr old Univega MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks for all the recommendations and personal experience.

I believe that the $200 Garmin 500 (retail price) does not provide speed/cadence.....hence another $50-75 for that option (can't remember the exact price of the option). The Garmin 200 @ $129 didn't seem to get very good user reviews....poor screen vis and speed info way off.

The Cateye Strada Cadence looks promising. I guess wired is more dependable...

I'll also check out Bell and Planet Bike offerings.

BTW - my just is "just" a phone......LOL! No smart phone for me.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Garmin 200 does provide speed and average speed, but not cadence. The speed I get matches that which friends get on wired computers, so I don't have a problem there. Screen visibility is good, even in sunlight, and the numbers are nice and large. But mine is a couple of years old now. Maybe the model changed.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butlerkid View Post
    Just wanted to update everyone!

After much research and riding of Trek's, Fuji's, Cannondale's and Giant's.......I bought a Giant Rove 0! Took several weeks to get it.... LBS has done a great job of fitting me!

And I LOVE it! The black/hot pink is very striking! Much better looking than I anticipated! And the Rapid Fire shifters and other upgrades make this bike a dream to ride. Seems very quick and responsive!

I've bought some Shimano PD-A530 dual sided pedals, but don't have them on yet. I've also ordered a pair of Ergon GP3 grips. I've bought Izumi biking shoes and got a helmet!

However, I'm having trouble finding a computer that gives basic trip info, total miles and auto pause features. Any suggestions? I really like the Garmin 500 - but I don't need GPS and don't want to spend over $200! LOL!
    I've always had good fortune with Cateye.

Just bought one (within the hour), a Cateye w/cadence for $50 plus tax.

I would highly suggest one with cadence. You may or may not use this now, but it really helps if you decide to work on fitness or endurance.

<edit> congrats, looks like one hell of a machine...
    Last edited by Null66; 03-16-14 at 04:01 PM.

My Bikes
    Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I currently use a Garmin 500. Love it.

Anytime there's a burp with it (rare), I'm rather put off.

Love the mapping function. I also have cadence/speed and Heart rate.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new bicycle finally getting to you. No computer recommendations, that one is a personal choice, even with input you end up buying what suits your usage and budget. I have a Polar HR monitor and computer with cadence function that I rarely use any longer. Cadence just doesn't matter much for me, I spin in a comfortable rate to maintain a 15-18 mph speed where I feel best. My cyclocomputer is an IQ300 wireless Cannondale unit that is a good value. Best of luck in your riding.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Stradalli RP-14 Carbon, Motobecane 700HT MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the Cateye Stealth. It's about $100 and has GPS.
    www.Texbiker.net/blog/
    Texas Bicycling News, Events, Experiences

My Bikes
    25 yr old Univega MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like for the feature I value....the Cateye CC-RD200 for around $38 is adequate.

My Bikes
    Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butlerkid View Post
    Looks like for the feature I value....the Cateye CC-RD200 for around $38 is adequate.
    That is what I like also a simple computer, but I have 11 bikes. I use a simple strada wireless for my bike on the trainer. I use my iPhone with Stava, Mapmyride, and biologic apps (I have been evaluating the free programs) and got a Wahoo for $59 for the speed and cadence. The phones gps will do the speed with out the Wahoo unit. And I hot a holder that I can switch from bike to bike.

Also Congrats on the new bike.
    I don't do vintage, I bought them new, rode them, kept them. Now they are just old bikes
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustercrb/sets/72157623483647522/

My Bikes
    '09 Trek 2.1, '75 Sekine, '90 Giant Mtb, Raleigh M20, Fuji Nevada mtb.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I use a Planet Bike Protege wired, in White, because the display is really easy for me to read, but it's not hard-core looking enough for your bike. Give us a brief of how you are going to use your bike...might help.
    "Of course you eat too much" (Looigi) There are things people say that are so true you can never forget the wisdom. I still eat too much. Without denial.
    Awarded 2014 Billy Madison "Ultimate Insult" by jsharr. Must have been something about my rambling, incoherent response...

My Bikes
    '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the Runtastic app and a handlebar mount for your smartphone. It's free for the basic version or you can get the "Pro" version (Android) for the outrageous price of $4.99. It does everything you could want and then some. After your ride you can watch it on Google Earth.
    I was about to pull the trigger on a $300 Garmin when I realized that if my phone can be my GPS in my car or anywhere else there must be apps for bikes. Sure enough.......... there are several. I don't know if Runtastic is the best or worst of them, but it works very well for me.
    Last edited by slorollin; 03-17-14 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
    The great Confucius said that he would
    rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give consideration to future needs and wants. I did not and purchased first a wireless cycling computer from the LBS, then a Garmin 200 and finally a Garmin 510 w/bundle. For what I spent on the LBS one and 200 I could have almost bought a Garmin 500 bundle. Although I think the upgrade from 500 to 510 is worth the increased cost if I would not have had a windfall cash flow at the time I would not have spent the money. Hey enjoy the Cateye.

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like wireless because it just looks neater, no excess wire to twist and twirl around to take up the slack. But if you want the lowest priced 'puters, you'll wind up with awire. They also only need one battery, wirless needs two.

That being said, I've had great luck with Cateye Micro Wirless. Between my wife's bikes and mine , we have four of them. They work well, have the features you want, some what easy to set up. They have been through all types of weather, hot, cold, dry wet, snow, and continue to work fine. The only time I have had an issue was with a door opener at Staples. And the two batteries, one or the other is always caput at the begining of the riding season.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    25 yr old Univega MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadTire View Post
    I use a Planet Bike Protege wired, in White, because the display is really easy for me to read, but it's not hard-core looking enough for your bike. Give us a brief of how you are going to use your bike...might help.
    I want to track trip and total miles ridden. I have already planned a multi day trip on the Katy! And I think that monitoring my cadence (I am a new rider...) will aid me in learning to use the appropriate gears to get the most benefit out of my efforts. Most of my riding will be on paved or rails-to-trails terrain. I'm not a racer, but do want to get some exercise benefit from my riding. I'm a 63 year old lady...

My Bikes
    25 yr old Univega MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slorollin View Post
    Get the Runtastic app and a handlebar mount for your smartphone. It's free for the basic version or you can get the "Pro" version (Android) for the outrageous price of $4.99. It does everything you could want and then some. After your ride you can watch it on Google Earth.
    I was about to pull the trigger on a $300 Garmin when I realized that if my phone can be my GPS in my car or anywhere else there must be apps for bikes. Sure enough.......... there are several. I don't know if Runtastic is the best or worst of them, but it works very well for me.
    I do not own a smart phone. I do have the new Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4 tablet...perhaps that could work when carried in my Camelback? Have you tried the RidewithGPS app?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast