Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what kind of pedals do you ride??

good morning...what brand of pedals do you use? and please rate on 10 scale.
    thanks
    dharleyd

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my road bike I use Shimano mtn bike clipless (clip-ins) - the cheap kind (about $50), work great for me, a 10.

I use Shimano bicycling sandals summer and winter. Also work great. I have regular "mtn bike" clipless shoes, but no longer like them compared to the sandals.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Cannondale R300, RT1000, Trek1000c, EZ sport cx, EZ Tandem (tuna boat)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ritchey Logic Pro ATB Pedal - Silver SPD compatible. One set for my Tandem and one for my commuter. I like to wear Lake Wide ATB shoes (1 year). I have yet to have any issues.. My road bike has look pedals (20 years). I used to have power grips w/pedals on the road tandems thinking we can wear any shoe but you talk about component failure, I went through 3 sets in 4 years (2 free because defects and 2 that was given) before I decided to go with Ritchey’s. My wife took to them the first ride. The power grips made it easy for her to understand the concept better. She is a pro with them now.
    I have yet to have any component issues or incidents with the clipless pedals.
    So far so good. The "Look" road pedals are the best for 20 years. Only one year with Ritchey’s is not a very good test yet.
    Last edited by OldShacker; 03-24-05 at 10:45 AM.
    Ride well and be kind to others
    OldShacker

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite, Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Crossroads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultegra SPD-SL's - I rate them a 10 - the cleats are more walkable than Looks or Speedplays. The pedal has a decent sized platform. The only other advice is dial back the tension - they are too stiff out of the box. The float is six degrees - it gives adequate room to move your foot. The 105's are cheaper, but are made of resin. Of the three (105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace), the Ultegras are the best buy. I'm going to get a set of 105's for my back up bike though.

My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speedplay X-1

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Ibex, Mongoose
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Look pedals on both my road bies. I have used Shimano SPD and SPD-R.

The Looks have become my favorite because of the ease of clipping in or out--far easier than the Shimano SPD-R.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Campagnolo Gran Sport road quills with aluminum Campag. toeclips (Bianchi).
    Various Japanese road quills with steel toeclips (other road bikes).

I don't do clipless pedals because I simply do not find them practical for transportation cycling and I do not trust myself to switch mentally and safely between snap-ins on some bikes and strap-ins on others. (I don't do indexed shifting, either.)
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    I don't do clipless pedals because I simply do not find them practical for transportation cycling and I do not trust myself to switch mentally and safely between snap-ins on some bikes and strap-ins on others. (I don't do indexed shifting, either.)

Same here. No clipless pedals and no biking costumes for me. That's all in my past, I just want simple, practical transportation and recreation. I believe that modern biking paraphernlia pressures have led to a decrease in biking for the masses. Some marketing studies show that many folks are intimidated by such and avoid modern bike shops. The intimadation factor has been good for outlets like Walmart and Target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use LOOK PP206 on the road bike. I guess I'd rate them a 10. They're light but durable & comfortable.
    "...You ask me what I like about
    Texas? Well I'd tell ya', but we could
    be here...all night long."

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crank Brothers eggbeater stainless. Rated 8 because I'm not fully used to them yet. Before, I used no-names with toeclips.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use egg beaters on my commuter. I'd rate them at 9.8.
    On my road bike, I swap pedals from time to time. Today I had Look PP337. Tomorrow I may ride with my Speedplay Zeros. I'd rate both at 8.5.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Look Carbon pedals with the Q factor adjustment. I've had them for about a year and really like them. The thing I like the most is they don't squeak....They're probably a little heavy compared to some pedals but they do have a nice wide platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, convenience trumps everything else. That's why I ride platforms. If I had to put on biking stuff to go to the store or to work, I would never ride. Driving would be easier.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SPD SL's on my road bike, and SPDs (545's?) on my mountain bike. Biking costume, indeed. No indexed shifters, yea, right. Technology serves me. See http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~mryder/i...a/luddite.html

Almost forgot, on a scale of 1-10, I'm not really sure. The Ultegra SPD SL's are one of the all-time favorites of road riders and bike mags alike, and they seem to work fine, other than the single sided entry. Since returning to the road, they're all I've ridden. My 545's are a great combination of utility and value. I don't have a lot of sticky mud to deal with like UK riders, and the cage gives a lot of security if I'm clipped out in the sketchy bits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Performance pred forte SPD on both my geared and fixed bike, would rate both about a 9

My Bikes
    2013 KHS Flite 747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultegra SPD

After using them for about 5000 miles, I rate them at 10 mostly because of the stable,non-slip platform the cleats give me while walking around. The pedals are also low profile and don't squeak while riding.
    JavaMan!
    Faster than a speeding moped!
    More powerful than the Santa Ana winds!
    Able to bunny-hop railroad tracks in a single bound!

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wpflem
    Same here. No clipless pedals and no biking costumes for me. That's all in my past, I just want simple, practical transportation and recreation. I believe that modern biking paraphernlia pressures have led to a decrease in biking for the masses. Some marketing studies show that many folks are intimidated by such and avoid modern bike shops. The intimadation factor has been good for outlets like Walmart and Target.
    Since this is in the 50+ forum I'd have to agree that "fancy" pedals and all the other bike "gear" is
    probably hurting the sport for those first returning to cycling. Many will be baby boomers looking for
    the simple bikes to get around on or at least do light cadio workouts. The "jocks" among them will
    move on deeper into the sport where all the "gear' should reside.

As to which pedals I prefer.........
    Due to my knee replacements I will not ride with any sort of pedal or other device that "ties" me to
    the bike. If I fall I want to be thrown clear of the bike to minimize or avoid and chance of injury to
    my knees. That only leaves the simple flat rubber cleat bike pedals or flat MTB pedals for me to choose
    from. One concession I made is to try a set of Nashbar oversize MTB pedals with traction pins to keep
    my foot from slipping off somewhat.

My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frogs
    Frogs
    Frogs

Since I've had two surgeries on my right knee -- the last to remove the cartilage -- one local shop owner strongly suggested the 'float' of the Frog for old knees. I bought my bike new this Feb (celebtrating my 50th!) and winter is hanging on here in Wisconsin, so I have just a few dozen miles... I use MTB shoes to mount the cleats so I can do some walking off-bike... so far, they are great.

I agree and disagree with the comments about bike tech ruining the sport. Since my previous roadie is a '71 Dawes, I am acquainted with lower tech road biking. That said, I do think that well fitting shorts, a good helmet, and these clipless pedals DO make time in the saddle more satisfying. On the other hand, I am restraining myself from spending hundreds on cycle-team specific jerseys and all manner of boutique bike gear. It can get carried away. When I used to tour, I wore converse high-tops, t-shirts, bandanas, and 2 dollar sunglasses. I'm mining the middle ground as far as gear... when my partner and I do a 360 mile tour this summer, I'll report on the comfort factor of whatever I end up taking.

If you are at all gimpy in the knee and want to go clipless, check out Speedplay Frogs. They are smidge pricey, but worth it... and ocassionally come up used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nashbar MTB clipless on 2 bikes, Performance Forte Road SPD on road bike. Would rate them all about a 9. 3 different shoes all can now be used on all 3 bikes. I like the recess for walking.
    Gary

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    On my road bike I use Shimano mtn bike clipless (clip-ins) - the cheap kind (about $50), work great for me, a 10.

I.
    Same here. The cheap shimano pedal, bought about 4 years ago, work perfectly and have no diadvantages over the Very expensive pair of Shimano Clipless bought about 5 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speedplay X2s on my road bike and Frogs on my mountain bike and Fixie. If I'm going to use the road bike and know I'll be spending much time walking around, I'll put Frogs on it since X2s aren't made for walking even with the cleat covers.

I guess I rate them both a 10 since I've never had any reason to consider switching to anything else.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Performance Campus is a splendid pedal.
    1) It works with SPD cleats
    2) It also works with street shoes or sneakers.
    3) It's cheap and reliable.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano SPD and I like 'em fine.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use SPD sl's on my road bike and SPD's on my MTB. Used Looks for many years and just got tired of the noise that seemed to always be there. The SPD SL's are very similar but so far in a few thousand miles I haven't experienced any noise. They may even be easier to clip in and out of than the Looks.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crankbrothers Candy SL. Use to have 747's, tried Coombs but love the Candy because I have a platform to help keep pedaling even if I don't get clipped in the first time. My bike is a touring frame with mountain bike handle bars and components.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast