Thread: cardiac rehab

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cardiac rehab

Wanderer posted a thread including comments on cardiac rehab so in order to avoid hijacking it...

After a summer of strenuous riding I had my fun little attack after 3mi of out and back with a friend trying testing a possible bike purchase. The day before I had done some 12% hills but I knew I had severe plaque and already was on a variety of drugs. In the bike shop (how appropriate) I went down for the count and they put a stent in. My resting HR hovered at 50 and the doc immediately said I could go back to riding as hard as I wanted the day after getting out of the hospital. Maybe he had me wait one or two days.
    While at the hospital, prior to checking out, the cardiac rehab people scheduled me in. We had a bit of a back and forth as I told them I was excited to get on their spinning bikes while hooked up to monitors and find out what my max HR was. They were having none of that but I explained I would be going almost directly from cardiac rehab to spinning class where I'd be pushing myself nearly as hard so I might as well push while under their care but they had their protocols.
    The next day my cardiologist called and told me he had cancelled my cardiac rehab and explained that I was already exercising at a higher level than anything they would even begin to allow me to do and that the entire diet program they would push was less healthy than the one I had already adopted (no oil vegan) and that frankly I'd be wasting my time. I chuckled and said "thanks". Last week I got back from a biking vacation in Tucson where I tackled Mt. Lemmon (not fast...but I did it) which is 25mi of nearly relentless uphill at 5-8% with 6000+ feet of gain and knocked off 500+ miles which is nothing for a fit 20...or 30...or 40 something but was pretty good for me.
    It just goes to show how different we all are. I'm certain cardiac rehab is a critical thing for many people but was happy to learn I was fit enough that it was entirely unnecessary in my case. I have, however, had to get used to the lower HR numbers I see for any given perceived effort and have found that my better heart-oxygen flow has balanced out the limitations my drug therapy has caused with their heart-rate limiting effects.
    Alaskans for global warming.

My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet! I'm glad things turned out so well for you.

Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digibud View Post
    In the bike shop (how appropriate) I went down for the count and they put a stent in.
    Now that is one GREAT bike shop

My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    I don't see the tool for that in the Park catalog?

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. I did the cardio rehab after my second incident, but they let me go as hard as I could. I did it for my own peace of mind as I had already lost about 70 lb, and had much better numbers than I did since my first event. I just wanted to ease back in a monitored environment. Like you, I was ready for cardio then next day, but was advised to wait a couple of weeks to avoid the risk of popping the plug on the incision.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta love that this board is chock full of smartasses.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Gotta love that this board is chock full of smartasses.
    I guess that's better than stupidasses....

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started cardiac rehab this morning ---- and promptly found that they were proposing no work exercise ------ it was harder than working.

Long story short, we ended up more than double what they proposed, to start.

This, after a 3 week layoff of even the beast.....

I suspect I will graduate much sooner than they think.................

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bud, that one made my day, I was wondering how things were going for you, bet the rehab people were miffed at your wanting to do a MHR right off. I'd think your idea about doing one with them and care ready should something happen was a good thing and good planning. I've run into this with lung capacity and VO2 max tests for asthma after being medically discharged from the Corps and wanting to get back in. BTW, BuMed wouldn't entertain that one.

Seems their set up wasn't calibrated or equipped to handle a healthy person and it got maxed out quickly.

At least the bike shop was set up for a cardiac stent insertion and hopefully you got the Shimano Di2 electric controlled stents
    Sorry, the Smartass brigade got me inducted this time.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

New Orleans
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey-glad it worked out OK
    They have you on a beta blocker? Which one?
    My wife-MI 4-18-2013- is on carvedilol 6.25 twice a day+"lots" of other meds-lisinopril statin renexa aspirin plavix
    Glad you are back up to speed
    Charlie

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post

Seems their set up wasn't calibrated or equipped to handle a healthy person and it got maxed out quickly.
    The last time I had a treadmill stress test they were prepared to inject me with a drug that would get my heart rate up, in case I could not do it on the treadmill. With the current epidemic of couchpotato-itis, I guess this is pretty common. They were blown away that someone my size (about 230 at the time) could actually do it. They were further surprised by the quick recovery.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    qcpmsame.... I'm doing just fine. I just did an 18 day biking vacation in Tucson where I climbed Mt. Lemmon which was quite a challenge. I wasn't fast but I did it and had a great time. On both of my treadmill tests I maxed them out, also much to their surprise - at least the first time . They use the typical 220-age formula to see how high you can get your heart and I got up to that with no real problem. They had hoped I could stay on the treadmill for over 3 min but I was on it for 12 and that was pretty decent according to them.
    I'm not sure which of my drugs is the beta blocker. I'm on metoprolo, Crestor and Brilinta. They hold my max HR down quite a bit but I can keep up with anyone under 5 or over 90 so I just have to choose my riding partners carefully...I was taken off Lisinopril. It left me dizzy even in small doses.
    My naturally low heart rate has made it difficult getting my meds adjusted. They dropped my blood pressure and HR too far until we worked at adjusting them. Now my resting HR is 46; normally it was 53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "No oil" diet sounds like trouble.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to hear that you're riding hard and in good shape since the stent.

I was lucky in that they found a heart defect, but, the arteries are clear. I need BP meds, but, otherwise, I am fine and can push myself. I get uncomfortable when the diastolic side is high, but, when I am riding a lot, that usually does not happen.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill
    Http://www.tricornpublications.com/gethappy/

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NVanHiker View Post
    "No oil" diet sounds like trouble.
    For me, that would be impossible. My wife is Italian.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill
    Http://www.tricornpublications.com/gethappy/

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My second stent (pun intended) in rehab, and they agree that I need more "work" than usual. The "exercise physiologist" said that she frequently sees this with bicyclists.

Sooooooo, they are now communicating with my cardiologist to raise my starting point 50-100%, on various exercise, dependent on comfort levels.

I just may get back on the bike, as soon as the weather gets nice. Hooooray for me.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

southeastern PA - a mile west of Philadelphia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    +1

I was thinking the same thing.

southeastern PA - a mile west of Philadelphia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metalheart44 View Post
    I don't see the tool for that in the Park catalog?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnosis View Post
    +1

I was thinking the same thing.
    it was, of course, Carbon Fiber. It saved .0000001 grams over the cheaper aluminum stent and should provide a bit more flex over the titanium version.