User Tag List

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! What a PITA!

I just changed out a 700/23 for a 700/25 on my gf's bike. The tire coming off is a Michelin Pro 3 Race on a Ritchey Aero Road rim. I can't believe what a PITA it was. First it was really difficult to get the first bead off the rim. It took me about 20 mins. Then I could not get the tube to come out. It was like it was glued to the inside of the tire. I finally had to go to the other side and pry the bead over the top of both rim edges. Never had to do that before and I've done this many, many times. Once I got the tire, with tube still inside, off I still couldn't get the tube out. After going around the tire spreading the beads I still had to pull the tube with force to get it to separate from the inner tire. This was some serious bonding. Has anyone had this happen? Cause?

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes.

I need to take my Schwalbe Marathon Pro's off and replace them with smoother rolling Panaracers, but they are such a ROYAL PITA (not just any kind of PITA) that I'm waiting until I'm in a horrible mood to do it.

When I installed the Schwalbes I just took them to the LBS. Total wuss league I know, but my hands (which are trained instruments of mercy) thanked me for it.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michelins are notorious for being tight. I have the now obsolete Krylion Carbons (23mm) and though they are tight on conventional rims they are incredibly tight on my Vuelta Corsa Lites. They demand persistence.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently put some Pro 4's on Dt Swiss 440 rims without too much struggling. Maybe the 3's are different? I am thinking about trying out the Panaracer R'Air tubes next.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baby powder for the tube/tire bonding problem.

Strong levers for the bead/rim problem.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the same procedure as tubulars: stretch the tire between the arch of your foot and pulling up with your hands. Go around the entire tire. Kevlar WILL stretch; ever note how tires get easier to take off a rim with use?

The tube was hard to remove because it was obviously in there for quite some time.

Luis

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    Baby powder for the tube/tire bonding problem.
    Works just fine, Gold Bond Medicated for us elderly folk.

-Bandera
    '74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    Use the same procedure as tubulars: stretch the tire between the arch of your foot and pulling up with your hands. Go around the entire tire. Kevlar WILL stretch; ever note how tires get easier to take off a rim with use?

The tube was hard to remove because it was obviously in there for quite some time.

Luis
    Tube was in the tire for one year. I have noticed in the past that once used the Michelins are easier to deal with. But, it's such a hassle that I've gone back to Vittorias. Never had issues with them I'm not sophisticated enough to notice a difference in Michelins and Vittorias.