Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   They laughed at me. (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/939358-they-laughed-me.html)

Retro Grouch 03-24-14 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slorollin (Post 16606144)
The best peanuts in the world..............

Wakefield Peanut Company LLC

$4.00 per pound! I paid 75 cents for a little paper bag of peanuts in a little convenience store in Portage de Sioux, Missouri. I have no idea how much it weighed but it was enough peanuts to get me noticed. Next time I'm in Portage I'll get some more if they still have them.

slorollin 03-24-14 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 16606194)
$4.00 per pound! I paid 75 cents for a little paper bag of peanuts in a little convenience store in Portage de Sioux, Missouri. I have no idea how much it weighed but it was enough peanuts to get me noticed. Next time I'm in Portage I'll get some more if they still have them.

HAH! You can eat a lot of cheap peanuts or a few great peanuts. ;) Obviously, you did your own cost/benefit analysis. I can afford very few of the finest things in life but, I can buy the best peanuts. Jus' sayin'.........

fietsbob 03-24-14 11:09 AM

They laughed at me
 
Is it my turn , now? :roflmao: thanks :lol:

Clawed 03-24-14 05:57 PM

Peanuts in the shell, yeah! Raffles bar, IPA, throw the shells on the floor, tell lies. That's living!

BluesDawg 03-25-14 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slorollin (Post 16606161)
I never learned the proper way to eat boiled peanuts and would like to try them but, I don't know how to eat them. Do you eat the shell? Do you eat them hot! Since I love everything else made with peanuts I figure I'd like them too.

This ain't rocket science, my friend. ;) Fresh boiled and just cooled down enough to eat is the ideal, but they are fine cold, too. Just pop the shell open with your fingers or teeth and let them roll into your mouth. When they are fresh and warm, the salty water will still be in the shell and makes it even better. Occasionally, there will be an immature peanut with a very soft shell and you can just eat the whole thing, shell and all.

Georgia's peanut harvest is in the Fall, and that's the best time to get boiled peanuts. Florida peanuts have a bit wider harvest window. But they freeze well and can be quickly thawed and heated for an off season snack. The canned Peanut Patch boiled peanuts in the grocery stores are actually not too bad.

Many people try to extend the boiled peanut season by using dried peanuts. They take forever to cook, they look and taste terrible. These are not the boiled peanuts you want.

rumrunn6 03-25-14 08:58 AM

wait, what? they laughed at your baggy nuts?

etw 03-25-14 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 16609297)
This ain't rocket science, my friend. ;) Fresh boiled and just cooled down enough to eat is the ideal, but they are fine cold, too. Just pop the shell open with your fingers or teeth and let them roll into your mouth. .....

Sounds like the same way that you can get soybeans (edamame) in Japanese restaurants/bars.

Beic 03-25-14 10:42 AM

mmm,

Boiled peanuts ???, well that's one thing we don't have over here in the UK.

Are we missing a gastronomical delicacy then :)

Beic

cplager 03-25-14 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 16609314)
wait, what? They laughed at your baggy nuts?

:D

(Want it noted: IBTL)!

Terex 03-25-14 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beic (Post 16609772)
mmm,

Boiled peanuts ???, well that's one thing we don't have over here in the UK.

Are we missing a gastronomical delicacy then :)

Beic

They are just as good as they sound.

Daspydyr 03-26-14 05:17 PM

I like wearing my Man Capris/Pirate Style bike shorts. I enjoy my payday candy bars for a mid ride snack.


Men in tights laughing at you? Where is Mel Brooks when you need a new movie?

Robin Hood: Men in Tights dancing - YouTube

FMB42 03-27-14 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daspydyr (Post 16614649)
Men in tights laughing at you? Where is Mel Brooks when you need a new movie?

Probably more like hens cackling.

Zinger 03-27-14 04:52 AM

All of the above

:roflmao2:

Daspydyr 03-27-14 10:24 AM

I got ignored and "looks of distain" when I first started riding again. I had a 15 year old Hardtail and wore a Hockey Jersey for my winter cover. There was an older woman and 1 greyhound on a Cervelo who were friendly. All the rest of the Latex Lizards were colder than a brass toilet seat in a Nebraska Winter. It created a fire in me. I would be as good as them as soon as I could and I would encourage every rider climbing Horizon Ridge. I chuckle to myself when I see some of the newbies, but I'm proud of them all.

Retro Grouch 03-27-14 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daspydyr (Post 16616608)
I got ignored and "looks of distain" when I first started riding again. I had a 15 year old Hardtail and wore a Hockey Jersey for my winter cover. There was an older woman and 1 greyhound on a Cervelo who were friendly. All the rest of the Latex Lizards were colder than a brass toilet seat in a Nebraska Winter. It created a fire in me. I would be as good as them as soon as I could and I would encourage every rider climbing Horizon Ridge. I chuckle to myself when I see some of the newbies, but I'm proud of them all.

Many people in any group, sometimes even the majority, take awhile to embrace new comers. I, personally fall into that group. We're not being standoffish on purpose, we just don't know what to say to new acquaintances. When we start needling you about your choice of mid ride snacks you know you're making headway.

downtube42 03-27-14 11:15 AM

Recumbent, baggies, disdain for designer cycling food... please tell me you have a beard and hairy legs. Bits of peanut shell snagged in said hair would complete the image.

Now me, I like to munch on Rice Crispy Treats when I pedal my hairy legged and faced self around on my recumbent. Lycra though, strictly lycra. So I'm cool.

Retro Grouch 03-27-14 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 16616755)
Recumbent, baggies, disdain for designer cycling food... please tell me you have a beard and hairy legs. Bits of peanut shell snagged in said hair would complete the image.

Now me, I like to munch on Rice Crispy Treats when I pedal my hairy legged and faced self around on my recumbent. Lycra though, strictly lycra. So I'm cool.

Retro Grouch does not shave his legs. Never has, never will.
Retro's beard is rather subtle - just a button of a goatee that I keep trimmed quite short with the clipper. My little sister told me I should get rid of it so now I have no choice and can never shave it.

Biker395 03-27-14 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retro grouch (Post 16616845)
my little sister told me i should get rid of it so now i have no choice and can never shave it.

:d

^ That's a grin, BTW. WTF ... I tried to edit that 3 times!

Dan Burkhart 03-27-14 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 16616882)
:D

^ That's a grin, BTW. WTF ... I tried to edit that 3 times!

Gotta hit the shift button. The small case d just makes it look like you saw something that made you hungry.

Zinger 03-27-14 02:49 PM

The purpose of shaving your legs is not so much for aerodynamics but so the doctor can work on them if you crash.

Dudelsack 03-27-14 03:24 PM

I want to shave my legs, but I'm reluctant because I'm afraid someone would laugh at a bent rider with shaved legs. But dang, it would accentuate my fine toned body.....

Zinger 03-27-14 03:31 PM

Well then as George Mount used to say: "So the doctors can work on them and because the guys like the way it makes them look".

:)

Retro Grouch 03-27-14 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 16617568)
I want to shave my legs, but I'm reluctant because I'm afraid someone would laugh at a bent rider with shaved legs. But dang, it would accentuate my fine toned body.....

If you shave your legs we're going to laugh at you. But then we're going to laugh at you if you don't shave your legs too. So why we laugh at you is totally under your control.

Retro Grouch 03-27-14 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zinger (Post 16617463)
The purpose of shaving your legs is not so much for aerodynamics but so the doctor can work on them if you crash.

I was kind of hoping I'd get a real good-looking girl to shave my legs before the doctor works on them. When it actually happened, however, I was out so I don't know what the person who shaved my leg looked like. The best words I heard that day were "We'll put you to sleep before moving you onto the operating table."


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 AM.