Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   They laughed at me. (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/939358-they-laughed-me.html)

Retro Grouch 03-21-14 01:17 PM

They laughed at me.

I did a group ride this morning. Pretty nice group, roughly my age group, roughly my speed.

At one of our potty stops they laughed at my baggy knickers and they laughed because I had brought along a bag of peanuts in the shell instead of some processed food bar. This is the first time that men wearing tights have laughed at ME.

Piratebike 03-21-14 01:40 PM

Well you got to admit....an old man in baggy nickers eating a bag of peanuts in the shell while going to the potty is kind of funny.

phoebeisis 03-21-14 01:57 PM

In the SHELL??
I love peanuts-almost any nut actually-but I only eat in the shell peanuts in a bar.
Just a guess, but many many folks here are full time "cheapskates"-(they pretend they are green-but they are more cheap than green)
Why in the shell?? Are they cheaper?
Charlie
PS Oh I HATE boiled peanuts-disgusting abuse of peanuts

Retro Grouch 03-21-14 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piratebike (Post 16599037)
Well you got to admit....an old man in baggy nickers eating a bag of peanuts in the shell while going to the potty is kind of funny.

You have a point, at least nobody mocked my recumbent. Is it possible I'm on the outside of the bicycling mainstream?

Piratebike 03-21-14 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 16599100)
You have a point, at least nobody mocked my recumbent. Is it possible I'm on the outside of the bicycling mainstream?

Oh well you didn't say you was riding a recumbent.....that's why they were laughing.

RPK79 03-21-14 02:06 PM

I'm surprised they held it back as long as they did!

John C. Ratliff 03-21-14 02:23 PM

They'll laugh until they hit a pothole or stretch of gravel and take a spill.

John

badger1 03-21-14 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

It is possible indeed. However, do you really want to be 'mainstream'?

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=370117

leob1 03-21-14 02:41 PM

Quote:

They where just gauging how you react. Next time expect a full on assalt.

David Bierbaum 03-21-14 03:15 PM

You could have really impressed them all by gathering leaves together, and burning them to roast a sweet potato on the spot! Then put out the fire in the obvious way instead of using Johnny on the Spot... You can't get more mainstream than that, right? :innocent:

OldsCOOL 03-21-14 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 16598971)
I did a group ride this morning. Pretty nice group, roughly my age group, roughly my speed.

At one of our potty stops they laughed at my baggy knickers and they laughed because I had brought along a bag of peanuts in the shell instead of some processed food bar. This is the first time that men wearing tights have laughed at ME.

Cant you eat those peanuts on the move?? No stoppie no laughie.

B. Carfree 03-21-14 03:47 PM

Quote:

Is it possible I'm on the outside of the bicycling mainstream?

There's a cycling mainstream?

Biker395 03-21-14 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piratebike (Post 16599037)

Ya think? If we're honest with ourselves, we gotta admit that we look pretty ridiculous sometimes.

Thanks for the laugh, RetroG. :D

zonatandem 03-21-14 05:09 PM

Just take of the baggy knickers . . .

Rowan 03-21-14 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. Carfree (Post 16599360)
There's a cycling mainstream?

My thought, too.

If I spot one, I usually veer away from it. That's half the fun of cycling for me... is being different.

Rowan 03-21-14 05:13 PM

Actually, some of the wiriest, wyliest and fittest 50+ cyclists have worn baggy knicks. I'd wear them as a badge of honour.

cplager 03-21-14 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonatandem (Post 16599601)

Oh sure. That'll work well. I mean, nobody would laugh at a half naked man riding a recumbent... :D

qcpmsame 03-21-14 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonatandem (Post 16599601)

Wait one,:twitchy: please don't unless you are wearing som...................aw crap:notamused:, no pics please what ever you do:roflmao2:.

Zinger 03-21-14 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 16599172)
It is possible indeed. However, do you really want to be 'mainstream'?

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=370117

:roflmao2: I said nothing this time. Somebody else did.

NOS88 03-21-14 08:56 PM

Mainstream isn't all it's cracked up to be. They laughed at Columbus. They laughed at the Wright brothers. They laughed at Edison.... Let them laugh.

MickeyMaguire 03-22-14 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 16599393)
If we're honest with ourselves, we gotta admit that we look pretty ridiculous sometimes.

I had a book many years ago (forget the title - it was about cycle touring). There were cartoon illustrations all through it. There was one with a gopher rolling its eyes while looking at a cyclist in full kit... complete with helmet and little twisted mirror hanging from the corner of it.

It's important for people to learn to laugh at themselves.

rydabent 03-22-14 06:45 AM

Let me get this straight. You were laughed at for wearing baggy knickers by a bunch of men wearing skin tight sissy lycra shorts? Takes all kinds!

big john 03-22-14 08:02 AM

One of the recumbent riders in my club showed up in red tights. He's skinny so they were loose and everyone teased him about his "pajamas".

OldsCOOL 03-22-14 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeyMaguire (Post 16600536)

It's important for people to learn to laugh at themselves.

Yes, and all the while enjoy laughing at others.

Retro Grouch 03-22-14 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 16600704)
Let me get this straight. You were laughed at for wearing baggy knickers by a bunch of men wearing skin tight sissy lycra shorts? Takes all kinds!

My point exactly. They weren't wearing skin tight sissy lycra shorts, however, they were wearing skin tight even sissier lycra TIGHTS! IN PUBLIC!

They were eating those plastic food bars too. At least nobody was sucking on those "super snot" power jell thingies.

I like the group, by the way, lots of carbon fiber, lots of titanium, lots of rear view mirrors. I almost fit in.