Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-14, 07:16 PM   #1
Sasquatch16

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rider Number

Doing ride tomorrow where they gave me a number that is required to be worn on back of jersey. It is about 6"square made out of tyvek material. Stupid question. Do you pin it on, tape it or some other way. Pinning seems like best way but could be uncomfortable. Never had to do this before.
Sasquatch16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 07:25 PM   #2
revchuck

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Pin it on, using safety pins. I'd use six, three each on the top and bottom. It helps to wrap your jersey around a pillow so it resembles your back. It's most visible when you pin it across the jersey pockets - just be sure not to pin the pockets closed. Also, if it has holes in each corner, don't use them; stick the pins through the number going in and coming out.
revchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 07:26 PM   #3
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Windsor Tourist
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Pin it on. There are some fancy spray glues, but pins work for me.

I usually two pins on the top of the pockets on the back on the jersey. I'm careful not to pin the pockets shut. The other two pins go near the bottom of the jersey.
JerrySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 07:47 PM   #4
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
+1, safety pins are the way to go. It won't be any bother at all, I never even feel them when I have one attached to a cycling jersey or a running singlet.

Good luck with your event, too.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 08:40 PM   #5
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Most rides I've done that choose to inflict these nuisances on riders include the safety pins for you to pin them on. Usually they have them because Rider I.D. provided them along with discount coupons. I always refuse them when offered to rides I produce. I despise wearing them as they are a pain to put on and if you don't get them just right, they flap in the wind. Wrist bands are much less intrusive.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 03:11 AM   #6
Sasquatch16

Bikes:
As suggested I will pin it. This ride almost seems to be over managed. Along with the number to pin on they also give wristbands. Thanks for info.
Sasquatch16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 11:11 AM   #7
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
The numbers encourage riders to register and pay for goods & services (rest/food stops, post-ride meal, SAG support, traffic control) received during the event.
Sometimes they help event photogs match riders to photos.

There may be requirements where the number must be worn (eg: races); sometimes it's fine to just zip-tie them onto the bicycle handlebars.
The numbers generally are not annoying to the rider when safety-pinned to the jersey pockets.
Some people attach them to a running belt that can go over a jacket only worn part of the ride.

Some people keep the numbers as souveniers just like some skiers keep lift tickets. Ever seen the jackets made out of recycled TyVek numbers? Fun.
nkfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 07:31 PM   #8
Terex

Bikes:
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
5 safety pins. One at each corner, and one in the middle. Helps the automated cameras identify you when you run red lights.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 08:57 PM   #9
leob1

Bikes:
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch16 View Post
As suggested I will pin it. This ride almost seems to be over managed. Along with the number to pin on they also give wristbands. Thanks for info.
The reason for both is that the number on the jersey can be lost in a crash, the wrist band is much more difficult to lose so they can identify you(as long as it has a number on it).
The exception is when the adhesive on the wrist band being too weak, so they litter the course. This happened to me on a ride last year. The problem came at the end of the ride, the wrist band was supposed to be used to get food and at the bike valet. It was a pain to keep turning around so they could see the number on my back.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote